Library Committee Handbook

Library Faculty Meeting

Meetings 2015-2016

Meetings 2014-2015

Meetings 2013-2014

Meetings 2012-2013

Meetings 2011-2012

Meetings 2010-2011

Meetings 2009-2010

Meetings 2008-2009

Meetings 2007-2008

Meetings 2006-2007

Meetings 2005-2006

Meetings 2004-2005

Meetings 2003-2004

Meetings 2002-2003

Meetings 2001-2002

Library Faculty Meeting Agenda Committee

Library Faculty Meeting

Library Faculty Meeting
Tuesday, December 16, 2003
3:00-4:30 pm
Illini Union, Room 314B

Paula Kaufman, presiding, called the meeting to order at 3:00 pm after it was determined that a quorum was present.


1.    Approval of faculty meeting minutes of Nov. 18, 2003 draft posted on LIBNEWS-L on 12/03/03; also at

       The minutes were approved by a motion from Maria Porta, seconded by Muhammad al-Faruque.


2.    Introduction of new librarians

       Tom Kilton introduced Paula Carns. Paula Carns has assumed the role of Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese Specialist and Assistant Professor of Library Administration in the Modern Languages and Linguistics Library.  Her office is in Room 437.  Paula holds a PhD in art history, an MLS from UIUC and has been serving as a graduate assistant in the Modern Languages and Linguistics Library for the past three years.


3.    University Librarian's report (Paula Kaufman)

       Paula met with Provost Herman on Friday, December 12. He would not speculate about the budget but he was not optimistic, and gave no word regarding the rescission money. The Provost continues to support the Library and will protect us as much as possible.


       The Budget Group will continue to look at positions and will be as conservative as possible, avoiding staff layoffs as much as possible.


       Paula also announced that the State has released money to the University for deferred maintenance projects. A large portion of that money is going to repair the Library roof and gutters, as well as installing a sprinkler system in the Main Book Stacks and the Undergraduate Library, for which there will be a one year planning phase.  Although some loss of shelf space and disruption is anticipated, the exact measure is unknown at this point. A new crack in the stacks that runs the height of the building was also identified recently. The Provost has been informed.


       See for President Stukel’s talk. He mentions the Library many times.


       Paula updated the faculty that she has spent considerable time this month on the road raising money as part of the Capital Campaign. We have two new five-figure gifts coming as a result. She also spoke to a group of faculty in Williamsburg at a Foundation event. One couple she called on has offered to host two events for donors in the Washington, DC area.


       Lastly, Paula noted that starting in July, the Illini Union will charge $50.00 for rental of the rooms used for Faculty meetings.  Instead of paying for the rooms, some alternatives are to use 146 GLIS (which would require changing the meetings to Wednesday afternoons and does not allow food) or Grainger. Bill Mischo added that the tables could be taken out of the Grainger Commons to make more room. ACES charges even more than the Illini Union so using rooms there is not an alternative.


       Katie Clark asked Paula if the layoffs she mentioned include faculty or just staff.  Paula responded that they do not include faculty.


       Maria Porta inquired as to whether spending money to install sprinklers will hurt the Library in the long-run when we are ready to do major renovations.  Paula answered to the negative.  The sprinkler system is a life safety issue that has to be addressed no mater what.


       Once we have a permanent director of facilities, Paula will be working closely with that person to develop materials for the Chancellor’s Capital Review Committee for three things: money for the next module of Oak Street; money to do the planning for a Special Collections Building; and also money for planning for the Main Library Building.

4.    Committee reports

Executive Committee
(Beth Woodard)

Since the last faculty meeting on November 18th, the Library Executive Committee (EC) has met twice: on Tuesday, November 25th and on Monday, December 8th.  Additionally, the vice-chair of the Executive Committee met with the Senate Library Committee to discuss the 5 year review of the University Librarian.


A couple of confidential personnel matters were discussed.


A proposal from the Technical Services Division to fill an interim head of Monographic Cataloging was discussed.   It was decided that the Executive Committee would solicit applications from among the faculty for a one year "Senior Monographic Cataloger." The applications for the Global Resources Position were reviewed and a recommendation was made.


Bill Mischo brought a chart reviewing staffing patterns over time.


The committee discussed the process of the University Librarian's evaluation and agreed that a motion should be brought to the next faculty meeting.


During question time, an EC member asked what had happened to items that were formerly linkable from the AUL of Budget and Planning's web page. The University Librarian's Office will check into this matter and add links for pertinent materials.


One EC member questioned whether all the divisions had discussed the request from FRC to revisit the evaluation of librarianship, but it was not clear whether all faculty had an opportunity to discuss the topic within division meetings.  It was determined that the faculty need to be queried about their wishes to discuss this at a faculty meeting.


The strategic planning committee charge revision was approved.


The committee spent most of the two meetings discussing division position requests.


Tim Cole asked how many unfilled positions there were in relation to funds available.  Beth W. answered that there were 18 requests, and they will be able to possibly fill seven functions, but added that they are revisiting the possibility of half-time positions.


Jo Kibbee asked when EC will announce the positions to be filled.  Beth W. replied that they will finish the discussion of ½ time positions at next Tuesday’s meeting and then should be ready to release the information.


Tina Chrzastowski inquired if position requests could be revised if half- time positions are a possibility, since half-time appointments could change the dynamics of the proposed positions.


Beth W. then asked the faculty if they would like to discuss the evaluation of librarianship.


Lisa Hinchliffe asked if there something in particular about the process that Beth wanted to discuss.


Tim Cole added that the Library faculty had had this discussion before at previous faculty meetings.


Karen Wei questioned whether the request sent to the division representatives.  Beth W. answered that Faculty Review Committee (FRC) representatives were supposed to take the question to their divisions. Do we want to do anything beyond the annual report?


Jo Kibbee asked if this discussion was taking place because people were unhappy with the evaluations or because of an external reason.  Beth W. replied that part of it is because of Communication 21 and part of it is because of comments EC has received.


Bill Mischo clarified that Communication 21 talks about unit goals, not personal goals.

5.    Other reports


GSLIS Practicum Program Updates (Dale Silver)


Dale Silver presented an update on the GSLIS Practicum Program.  Her Powerpoint presentation is posted on the library faculty meeting website as a supplementary document to the minutes of this meeting. 


Library Involvement in the Ethnography of the University Cross-Campus Initiative (Joe Straw & Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe)

Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe introduced the Ethnography of the University (EOTU) initiative (, which began in 2002 and "sponsors undergraduate research on the university and archives it in web-accessible form for the UIUC community. EOTU also functions as a learning group for students, staff, and faculty interested in what it means to conduct research on universities as institutions." In particular, the EOTU initiative "heeds the call to infuse research into the undergraduate curriculum, a call issued by numerous higher education associations, postsecondary education policy centers, charitable foundations, and disciplinary interest groups."


The Library has been involved with EOTU from its beginning and is continuing that involvement as it transitions to being a Chancellor's Cross-Campus Initiative. Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe and Ellen Swain are serving on the Steering Committee for the EOTU Cross-Campus Initiative and Joe Straw is continuing as the coordinator for the development of the Library site for EOTU: Where is the University in the University Library? ( The website team includes Joe Straw, Stephanie Atkins, Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe, JoAnn Jacoby, Chris Prom, Cindy Shirkey, and Ellen Swain.


Joe Straw then introduced the Library website, which can be viewed at the link above.


       Area Studies Division Update (Karen Wei)


There are six units in the Area Studies Division: Africana, Afro-Americana, Asian, Latin American & Caribbean Library, Slavic and East European Library, and Women & Gender Resources Library.  These units serve various campus-wide centers/programs/departments, all of which are interdisciplinary, international and multicultural with focus on the humanities and social sciences.  Four centers: the Center for African Studies, the Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies, the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, and the Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies Center are all designated by the federal government as National Resources Centers. 


Initiatives and activities of the Area Studies units and their respective centers/programs:


  1. Africana Library and the Center for African Studies 

·         Hired a new director, Jean Allman, from our History Dept

·         The Center is developing a network with several African women and gender centers.  Directors from the Centers at the University of Ghana and the University of Cape town have already visited and given major lectures.  There will also be a major grant proposal.

·         Cooperation between the African Center and the Afro-American Studies and Research Program has reached a new level.  There will be a new jointly required course for both MA programs titled “Global Africa.”

·         Several conferences/symposium are being planned, including: a graduate student conference on Global Africa in February, a symposium on “HIV/AIDS: Gender, Agency and Empowerment” in April, a jointly sponsored symposium with the College of Law on “Access to Medicine,” a co-sponsored Media Conference with Northwestern University in Chicago in April, and Al Kagan is working with the Center to sponsor a symposium on library and communications issues in Africa for 2005.


  1. Afro-Americana Library and the Afro-American Studies and Research Program

·         The Program will more than double its faculty based on Provost Herman’s Enhanced Rights Document issued on November 4, 2003.  The full reference of which is “Evolution of governance and appointments in ethnic and gender studies programs”.  Six positions each were committed to the Afro-American and other ethnic studies programs in last year’s recruitment cycle.

·         The Program expects to grow to approximately seventeen joint appointments

·         The Provost’s document also grants the program the right to offer tenure and emphasizes joint hiring across ethnic and gender studies programs

·         The Program’s Bylaws was revised to include Tom Weissinger as a non-budget member of the core faculty with voting privileges.


  1. Asian Library and the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures (EALC), the Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies (EAPS), and the Program in South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies (PSAMES)

·         EALC began to offer a Ph.D. degree in 1998

·         The Center was granted Undergraduate National Resource Center for East Asian Studies in 2003

·         Undergraduate Asian Studies Initiative (UASI) since 2001–a $2 million, four-year grant from the Freeman Foundation to make Asian studies a regular part of the curriculum for undergraduates across the disciplines

·         UASI has contributed to the hiring of six new faculty, supports faculty research, curriculum development, conferences, & undergraduate scholarship programs

·         The Center is also the home to the Asian Educational Media Services which provides database services on Asian visual materials for classroom use to educators nationwide

·         Initiated East Asian Learning Communities Programs; Learning About China Program; Teachers Workshop on China, Japan, and Korea

·         Held China Pop Culture International Conference and Japan Film Series in 2003; 2004-2005 is UIUC Year of East Asia- will have international conference & library exhibit

·         Freeman Fellows Program since 1996: brings scholars in the humanities and social sciences from China’s top university to UIUC for a year to do research and to gain a better understanding of America, its society and people

·         Program in South Asian (SA) and Middle Eastern (ME) Studies has a new director, Ken Cuno, and is working to hire a faculty to teach Arabic literature

·         Asian is updating its website, a new South Asian site has been developed

·         South Asian collection LC profiles were reviewed and revised

·         Reorganizing the SA and ME collection is being investigated


  1. Latin American and Caribbean Library and the Center for Latin America and Caribbean Studies

·         The Center has agreements with the University de San Paulo in Brazil and the University Gottingen in Germany

·         The outreach initiatives will include workshop with librarians and teachers on Latin American and Latino issues and a Roundtable about Migrant Experience next spring

·         The Center will coordinate  2004 Joint Area Studies Conference on “Natural Resources in a Globalizing World,” a colloquium titled “The Future of Latin American Anthropology,” a symposium and workshop on “Circuits of Style: Musical Interchange between and among Africa and the Americas,” and a conference on Regulation and Competition in Developing countries

·         Latin American Library participates in the UT Austin’s 19 th century Mexican newspaper microfilm project, re-indexing internet resource links on its webpage, building the collection to support 10 new courses, working with more than 50 faculty who actively teach in Latin American topics/disciplines, helping to prepare a major display on “ Blacks in Latin America.”


  1. Slavic and East European Library and the Russian, East European & Eurasian Studies Center

·         Changing the Center name to Russian, East European & Eurasian Studies

·         New interests: Balkans (incl. Greece and Turkey); Caucasus; Central Asia (incl. Afghanistan)

·         Planning a Forum on Winds of Societal Change: Remaking Postcommunist Cities, a Current Affairs Forum on the Caucasus in 2004, and a major 2005 international conference on Commercial Law Reform in Russia and Eurasia

·         Hot topics: Islam; Parliamentary institutions; Changing boundaries; Terrorism; Spatial identity; Modernity in history/literature; Jewish studies; Ethnomusicology; EU enlargement; Russian regional history; Cultural anthropology; Post-socialist/post-colonial studies. 

·         Research funding : Possible decline of funding for Poland, Czech Republic/ Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Baltic States.  Sharp increase for Russia, Central Asia, Caucasus, Southeast Europe (Balkans), particularly regarding policy-relevant themes.

·         Recent hires : 3 in Slavic Languages & Literature, 2 in History, 1 in Geography, 1 pending in Political Science.

·         The Slavic Library activities include: met Dec 31 deadline for transfer of all periodical titles from III to Voyager for serials check-in; Oak St processing; active participation in Brittle Books program; Development of national inventory of Slavic digital projects; collaboration with local/regional faculty on image base for teaching/data analysis for research; developed a successful CLIR proposal for Slavic Digital Humanities Fellow.  In addition, Miranda visited Russia in Oct to reestablish exchange relations with 5 major libraries.


  1. Women and Gender Resources Library, Gender and Women’s Studies Program and Women and Gender in Global Perspective Program

·         The Library moved temporarily to the old Newspaper Library space in August while the renovation/expansion of space on the 4 th floor began in November

·         Is processing a gift collection of Irene Tinker, one of the founding scholars and activists in the field of women and international development

·         Cindy Ingold serves on the Advisory Committee for the Gender and Women’s Studies Program and the Executive Committee for the Women and Gender in Global Perspectives Program

·         Gender and Women’s Studies Program, an academic unit within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, offers an undergraduate major and minor, and a graduate minor

o       Name changed from women’s studies to gender and women studies, Summer 2003

o       New undergraduate major approved, Fall 2003

o       Joint faculty increased from six to ten in the last two years

o       Discussions underway to expand the graduate program

·       Women and Gender in Global Perspectives Program, an academic non-degree granting unit, within International Programs and Studies. children throughout the world

·       Continues to expand the number of courses which can be used to fulfill the graduate concentrations (masters and doctorate) for Gender Relations in International Development (GRID). These interdisciplinary GRID concentrations are designed to give students the analytical and empirical skills needed to address gender issues in research and policy analysis

·       Will  be sponsoring a symposium  on "Gender, Immigration, And Human Security In The Midwest" in March 2004

·       WAGR Library received a gift of files from WGGP will be adding these to the collection


       Cindy Ingold added that the Provost has allowed many of these academic units to grant tenure, which moves them closer to being acknowledged as departments.


       There were some questions raised about the new name of the Area Studies Division. This will have to be brought before the Faculty before the name can be changed and it will be discussed then.


6.    New business

       Committee Streamlining and Meetings (Paula Kaufman)

       Deferred to another meeting.


       Five-Year Evaluation of the University Librarian (Beth Woodard)

Beth W. handed out the “Motion of the Executive Committee regarding procedures for the five-year evaluation of the University Librarian.” which is posted on the library faculty meeting website as a supplementary document to the minutes of this meeting.  A motion was made by Lisa Hinchliffe and seconded by Stephanie Atkins to change the second sentence in number 6 to "Pending direction from the Provost about whether he requests separate or merged reports from the Executive Committee and the Senate Library Committee."  After discussion the motion was defeated.


       A motion was made by Bill Maher and seconded by Nancy O’Brien to delete the second sentence. After discussion the motion was carried.


       The Senate Library Committee asked EC to look specifically at relations with donors. The Committee hasn’t decided how to proceed with this so it was not included in the “Motion.”


8.      Announcements
Mary Mallory thanked Karen Hogenboom for coordinating the Lewis and Clark exhibit on the first floor.


            Beth Sandore announced a new Digital Projects Page and thanked to Nuala Bennett Koetter and her graduate assistant for updating it.


The meeting ended at 4:37 pm with a motion by Tim Cole and seconded by Richard Burbank.