Library Committee Handbook

Library Faculty Meeting Agenda Committee

Library Faculty Meeting

Meetings 2013-2014

Meetings 2012-2013

Meetings 2011-2012

Meetings 2010-2011

Meetings 2009-2010

Meetings 2008-2009

Meetings 2007-2008

Meetings 2006-2007

Meetings 2005-2006

Meetings 2004-2005

Meetings 2003-2004

Meetings 2002-2003

Meetings 2001-2002

Library Faculty Meeting

Library Faculty Meeting
September 16, 2003
407 Levis
3:00 – 4:42 pm

 

Paula Kaufman, presiding, called the meeting to order at 3:00 pm after it was determined that a quorum was present.

 

1.        Approval of faculty meeting minutes of August 19, 2003 

Minutes were approved by a motion from K. Clark and were seconded.

 

2.    University Librarian’s report - Kaufman

       Paula Kaufman reported that a portion of the ceiling fell on the 4 th Floor of the Main Library.  Due to this, one set of women’s and men’s restrooms have been closed on the 4 th Floor and staff will need to use another set of restrooms on that floor. There is also considerable damage to the ceiling in Classics, and some damage in Map & Geography. The chiller on the roof is set to be replaced this fall, but roof repairs will also need to be done. Jack Dempsey of Facilities and Services (formerly O&M) has seen the damage and is working on getting it repaired. The Provost has promised there will be money available to make the necessary repairs.

 

       There has been a proposal by the College of Engineering to raise tuition stipends charged against grants, which may reduce the number of graduate assistants employed through grants. Paula sits on a committee charged to advise the Vice-Chancellor for Research about different topics.  The committee has advised the Vice-Chancellor against making this change. The discussion is not closed and she continues to keep a watch on its developments.  She added that some of the money that comes into the university through these tuition stipends is treated like ICR money.

 

       Paula has been questioned about attendance being taken at the Faculty meetings. She wants to reassure everyone that attendance is not taken. Heads are counted at meetings to make sure there is a quorum, but names are not taken down.

 

       The Public Goods Committee – which has been changed to the Cultural Engagement Council- has been meeting and planning several events.  The council consists of members from the Library, Spurlock Museum, Japan House, Krannert Art Museum, Krannert Center for Performing Arts, WILL, and Allerton Park. The council will host the Imaging America conference being held on campus November 8-10, 2003. The topic will be how public universities engage with their communities. Another on-campus event for faculty will take place in the month of January. We will be showcasing ways faculty make innovative uses of our cultural resources for teaching. We will have an opportunity to showcase a few examples of such in the Library.  If you know faculty who are making innovative uses of the Library, let Paula or Bob Burger know, so they can get these on the schedule.

 

In Alumni News this month there are two articles about the Browsing Room closing.  Faculty may be hearing about this topic from alumni.

 

On September 17, Lyn Jones and Paula will have a forum about the Campaign in 291 UGL at 2:00.  They will be discussing Campaign planning and events at the Foundation weekend which is October 10, 11, and 12.

 

3.    Committee reports

       Executive Committee – Woodard

      

       Since the last faculty meeting on Tuesday, August 19, the Executive Committee has met twice, once on Monday, August 25 and again on Thursday, September 11.

 

       Election of Vice Chair and Secretary

       Beth Woodard was elected Vice Chair and Lisa German was elected Secretary.

 

       Question Time

       Could the members use a shared drive file for attachments instead of e-mailing attachments?  Janis is not currently able to access the shared drive, but Systems will be contacted to give her access.

 

       CITES charges the individual or University Account to have files recovered.   EC approved a policy for the Library to reimburse faculty if they need CITES to restore their files.

 

       EC affirmed the right for all library faculty to be on the Senate Committee on the Library or on any faculty committee.

 

       Planning for the coming year

       5th year evaluation for the University Librarian

       Cross-campus initiatives

       Develop a process for filling/creating faculty positions

       Re-examine committee structure

 

       Question regarding whether library meetings are open to observers

       EC drafted a policy regarding observers at meetings, which was posted to LibNew-L on Friday, September 12, 2003.

 

       Appointment of Parliamentarian and members to Colloquium Committee and RPC

       Nominations were made and Paula contacted the individuals concerned.

 

       Goal Setting: Role of Division Coordinators & Unit Heads

       EC feels this should be discussed at the next Faculty meeting.

 

       Diversity Committee discussion

       EC will ask Dana Wright, Mary Mallory and Lisa Romero to a future meeting to discuss the relationship of EEO, Affirmative Action and a possible new committee on diversity.

 

       Confirmation of a Reassignment within a Unit

       A request was made to confirm an individual who had served in a temporary capacity within a unit with that official title.  EC discussed it and will draft a policy that indicates that this kind of change wouldn't need to be confirmed by EC as long as the title is commonly used.

 

       Process for Filling Faculty Positions

       A process was discussed for determining which of the many vacant faculty positions will be filled with the very limited pool of monies available.  An October 15 deadline was established for priorities from divisions.  Some of the criteria listed in the brainstorming session included: division priorities, accreditation requirements, previous commitments, heads of units, impact on those served and uniqueness of expertise.

 

       New Global Resources Center

       The 1/2 time faculty position for the Global Resources Center was discussed.  Questions were raised about how this position related to the existing structure of the library.  Karen Schmidt will be asked to come to EC to discuss.

 

4.    Other reports

       Goal Setting Discussion – Kaufman

       EC revisited the goal setting process and the intent of the goal setting process. The purpose of unit goals being looked over by Division Coordinators is to give divisions the chance to look for opportunities to bring together some unit activities.

 

       Tim Cole asked why the Division Coordinators, rather than the Division Advisory Committees, are looking over the goals.  Paula answered that there is no reason why the advisory committee cannot do this.  Each division should determine how they want to handle this. 

 

       Kathleen Kluegel then asked to have the output mechanism defined.  Paula answered that the Budget Group is preparing a calendar and discussing when and what they will ask the divisions to provide.  Kathleen Kluegel then asked for clarification: in October at the division meeting faculty bring in their annual reports and then the division sends them to the Budget Group? Paula clarified that each division should choose how to set their goals and should tie these in with their budget requests later in the year.

 

       Aaron Trehub asked if new evaluative functions are being delegated to the Division Coorinators?  Paula answered that they are not.

 

       Barb Henigman asked how this goal setting ties into Communication 21, and Paula answered that the functions we are talking about are completely different, involving personal goals.  Discussion about Communication 21 is on EC's longer-term agenda this year.

 

       Tim Cole stated that one reason for the confusion is that at the November 19, 2001 meeting the AC action list in the minutes referred to Communication 21.  Paula further clarified that Communication 21 deals with faculty and is an EC matter, not an AC matter.

 

       Katie Clark asked if the Division Coordinator should be involved in reviewing faculty goals.  Paula replied that we haven’t dealt with Communication 21 yet and that is an issue for EC to deal with when we do.

 

       Teaching Alliance Update – Hinchliffe

This is the third year of the collaborative Teaching Alliance program with GSLIS which is funded in part by the Provost’s Initiative on Teaching Advancement (PITA). In the first year, the general topic of study was “teaching” and in the second year the focus was on “ undergraduate students as learners.”  For the coming year, the theme will be the “scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL).”

 

SoTL is operationally defined as "systematic reflection on teaching and learning made public" (http://www.cat.ilstu.edu/sotl/index.shtml). For faculty who primarily teach credit-courses, SoTL tends to focus around classroom-based teaching and learning. For practicing librarians, the focus is less tied to particular methods of educational delivery and more to how library users learn and develop competence in library and research skills. The particular focus for the Teaching Alliance will be to take lessons from the action research tradition and to apply those methods in the library and information science discipline and profession. The program is likely to be an especially good opportunity for pre-tenure librarians to join a supportive research initiative and – if interest warrants – pursue collaborative as well as individual research projects.

 

The upcoming events are:

 

·       September 26, 10-12 is the Kickoff Event with guest speaker Kathleen McKinney, who holds the Cross Chair in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning and is a professor of sociology at Illinois State University.

·       Follow up event will be a discussion with Ann Bishop of GSLIS about action research and its application in library and information science.

 

       Life Sciences Division Report – D. Schmidt

All LSD schools/colleges/departments are interdisciplinary

 

Old Initiatives

Beckman Institute (Biological Intelligence)

Biotechnology Center

Disability Research Institute (2001, research on disability policies for SSA)

Environmental Council

 

New Initiatives

Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities

     (incl. 4 kinesiology faculty on a variety of topics)

Cell as Micro-Machine

PharmaEngineering: Neural Repair in the Nano-Domain

Food Security

Initiative on Aging

·         Institute for Genomic Biology (formerly Post-Genomic Institute)-concentrating on Systems Biology, Cellular and Metabolic Engineering, and Genome Technologies

Bioinformatics Program (Chemical Engineering, Computing, MCB, GSLIS, others)

Department of Bioengineering (expansion of existing program; News Gazette)

·         Midwest Regional Center of Excellence in Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases Research (fight Class A pathogens such as small pox and anthrax; Micro, Chem, Mechanical Eng, Proteomics; DI)

South Farms move (will establish an interdisciplinary research continuum among scientists in the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences and the Institute for Genomic Biology-II)

 

Specific LSD activities:

Mitzi created Environmental Sciences Virtual Library

Environmental interest group (collection development; 10 libraries have enviro journals)

Hired Katie Clark as Biotech Librarian (PGI support)

Several librarians met with Bruce Wheeler about Bioengineering program

Katie C. spoke with GSLIS, others about the Bioinformatics program

Mary Beth A. created list of journals on aging

CCMP biotech grant

 

Library summaries:

ACES: NEH grant for preserving historically important agricultural literature, home to Agricultural Communications Documentation Center, 3 AgNIC subjects-corn, soybeans and

     agricultural communications

ALS: Web site revision, lots of instruction (29 sessions, 1,000 students)

BIX: finished Cage preservation project, shifts, Melody Allison's instruction program

BIC: full text linking for databases (WoS, PubMed, etc), SilverPlatter ERL shift

INHS: move in 2-3 years, new Web site, new databases, new endowment, new assistant

     librarian

VEX: copy service continues and thrives, new endowment, preparation for Mitzi’s

     retirement

 

5.    Old business

       CLIR post doc fellowship for post-doc grads – Kaufman

We have funding from the provost for two fellowships/year for each of two years.  Fellowships can be for one or two years. The purpose of the fellowship program is to educate new scholars in the humanities regarding the challenges and opportunities in academic research libraries.  Each fellowship will include an experience-based internship in an academic research library; a set of common experiences, developed and operated by CLIR, each of 1-2 weeks duration; a project developed by the Fellow and the internship institution, which will require that the Fellow carry out some work consistent with the purpose of the fellowship; and a closed listserv (possibly using LEEP technology) for on-going communication among fellows during their fellowship and for a period of at least 5 years.

 

At this time, the program is limited to scholars in the humanities as defined by NEH.  A PhD in a humanities discipline must have been received within the prior three years.  If a PhD has not yet been received, all work toward the degree (including dissertation defense and final dissertation editing) must be complete before beginning the internship.

 

The application and selection process will be run by CLIR.  Each institution (there may be up to 15) will post its opportunities (up to 2 each). Applicants will indicate their first 3 choices, in priority order. Institutions will then review all applicants and indicate their top three choices (those of us with more than 1 offering will have a slightly different procedure) and CLIR will make the matches based on that input. The fellowship will begin July 2004.  Common curriculum and evaluation mechanisms are now being designed.

 

Our involvement with the program at this early stage gives us an opportunity to help shape it and help make it a successful piece of what will have to be a set of complex strategies to ensure that we have sufficient well-trained and highly capable people entering academic librarianship over the next decade. Our participation in this program is a decision for the faculty to make.

 

Nancy O’Brien asked if the Division Coordinators need to treat these fellowships like other positions by writing a job description to be submitted to EC.  Paula answered that that they will not, since there is separate money for these fellowships.  There will be a committee formed to decide on the two fellowship proposals with which the Library will go forward.

 

Tom Weissinger asked if this will undermine the role of a library degree, since a person can get a library degree in the same amount of time. Couldn’t we just give these people tuition remission and admit them to library school?  Paula answered that this program is designed to attract people who haven’t thought about going to library school, and show them what an exciting and challenging career one can have working in an academic research library and its universities. Over the next decade we are going to be faced with a shortage of librarians to work in academia.  Some previous programs have worked well in some places and failed in others.

 

Aaron Trehub added that the best way to scare people off of a career in academic librarianship is to force them to go through a program. There’s nothing like direct engagement with the profession to instill interest. Anything that strengthens ties between academic librarianship and specialists in the field is a good thing.

 

Sue Searing affirmed that she believes this is worth experimenting with. If the Provost is going to give us the money, why not do it? If it doesn’t work we don’t have to keep doing it. She then asked if we need to think about how we want to define these positions before we actually get the people, or if we defined the positions only after the positions are filled?  Paula responded that the way in which the program is being developed right now is there will be an opportunity for libraries to post their opportunities by mid-November. Applicants will be given a month or so to apply and indicate their top three choices. Then we will have an opportunity to look at all the applications and determine our top three and see where the matches are.  CLIR is the home for this and their experience with the Mellon fellowships is that for ten openings they had over 300 applicants. So they have advised us to be as specific as possible about the project.

 

Lisa Hinchliffe also affirmed her support of the program.  She also asked if there some sort of formal role for the library person who is supervising the fellowship person?  Paula answered that we can talk about bringing the project director and the fellowship recipient together to talk about the experience.

 

Sharon asked if the program is specifically confined to Humanities or may also include Social Sciences.  Paula answered that, per the NEH definition, the fellowships must be limited to the humanities.

 

Maria Porta requested an example of how this would work.  Paula presented the scenario that the Library would determine what our proposals were, they would be posted, people would apply, and we’d decide who the people were. There needs to be a concrete outcome or a project of some sort. We would have to determine what that outcome or project would be. Then we would need to determine how well it works. The fellows would come together at the beginning of their fellowship to talk about common experiences and about the basics of the program.  Then they would come together at least one more time, towards the end. Their home would be in only one of a few divisions and those people would help the fellow understand what it means to be a Humanitarian librarian.

 

Chris Prom was also in support of this, and asked if we would be soliciting applicants from on-campus only.  Paula responded that the search would be nation-wide, and added that UIUC would be attractive to prospective applicants because of our emphasis on research.

 

Tim Cole added that it is also important that we build in an education component, and emphasize research and communication with the field.

 

Jane Block stated that she was also in support of the fellowships, but is concerned that the program bucks an in-built bias that exists in any subject base department because the goal of those are for their people to become professors in their area. Opting for a career that doesn’t fit the paradigm may be frowned upon by advisors.  Paula added that we should talk among the divisions most likely to make proposals about how we will work with the campus departments to help them understand that this is an opportunity for some of their graduates.

 

Upon hearing consent, Paula proposed that the Library move forward with the fellowships and asked that proposals be submitted no later than Nov. 1.  In the near future, a time will be  scheduled for anyone interested in preparing a proposal to get together to share ideas and common interests.  Kim Reynolds will advise when that will be within the next few days. Paula will pull together a representative selection committee and they'll make the final choices.  She also stated that information about this will go out in the form of an article in the Chronicle, on a web-site, in discipline newsletters, a letter to sponsoring institutions, and by word of mouth.

 

6.  New Business

 

Lisa German, Karen Schmidt

       Lisa and Karen named the fund manager of the year and gave out awards. The award for the fund manager that manages less than $100,000 went to Lynn Wiley and the award for the fund manager that manages more than $100,000 went to JoAnn Jacoby.

 

Paula Watson

       Beth Sandore and she will be working together this semester to explore creation of a digital repository of information produced on the UIUC campus. Such a repository would ultimately contain not only research materials, but also sources related to the mission, administration, and instructional function of the university. For general information on the concept of institutional repositories see http://www.arl.org/sparc/IR/ir.html. For a look at an existing project, see the MIT's  D-Space web site: https://hpds1.mit.edu/index.jsp.

 

       The focus at this point will be on the research and scholarly output of the faculty.  Paula W. will be doing a needs assessment to determine the kinds of information faculty would particularly like to see preserved in a centrally maintained repository.  This might include material that is currently on departmental or individual web sites as well as sources not yet available via the web. Examples include: preprints, published articles, data sets, audio, video, images of various kinds (biomedical, drawings, artifacts) etc.  All disciplines are likely to have sources of various types they want to make more available to colleagues both here and elsewhere. Paula W. is happy to meet with any division or individual to discuss further.

 

       Tim Cole pointed out that one area some institutions are not very well prepared in is intellectual property. Some publishers are refusing to look at publications that are put in an intellectual repository. The Romeo project just finished.  Paula W. answered that there are also people who are not used to a pre-print culture, who are concerned about giving their ideas away or about the publishability of research once it has appeared on-line.

 

       Lisa Hinchliffe asked for clarification on the initial focus of the project - will it be on scholarly activity, as opposed to instruction.  Paula answered in the affirmative.

 

       Sue Searing asked if we as a faculty are going to be actively encouraged to do this with our output?  Paula W. answered "certainly".  We’re talking about the intellectual capital of the entire university. Everywhere she looks she sees obvious candidates for this staggering concept.

 

       Gail Hueting –asked how this relates to the Archives function of the University?  Paula answered that it related very closely.

 

       Muhammad al-Faruque asked if the project will concentrate on just the UI system, or if it will cooperate with other universities.  Paula W. answered that they will be focusing on the intellectual output of this university.  Muhammad then asked how we will insure that pre-prints are copyright protected.  Paula W. replied that there are intellectual property rights issues that still need to be explored before this can take place.

 

       Bill Mischo added that there are six universities testing this sort of proposal now (D-Space and E-Prints). One of the things we want to look at is how we can integrate with some of the programs already going on on campus, such as the College of Engineering. Another thing as far as property rights, we can have links to publishers instead of having full text.

 

            Michael Norman

Michael announced that it’s time to do a yearly update from Serials.  He asked if the faculty would prefer a separate meeting, a lengthy email, or a meeting for staff separate from faculty?

 

Janice Pilch requested a separate forum.

     

Barb Henigman added that more than one forum would be useful.

 

Nuala Koetter suggested that Michael could publish a web page as opposed to, or in addition to, e-mail.

 

Kathleen Kluegel added that there are many needsa that may not all be addressed in one format.  Michael agreed that he may need to hold more than one forum.

 

7.    Introduction of New Librarians

       Barbara Ford led the introductions of the new Morton Associates, and asked that each "friend" introduce their Mortenson Associate.

      

Joyce Wright introduced Jacob Amahwa, Principal Librarian, Kenya National Services Board

Lynn Wiley introduced Amparo Bello, Purchase Analyst, Luis Angel Arango Library

Stephanie Atkins introduced Angela Escobar, Acquisitions Section Analyst, Luis Angel Arango Library

Caroline Szylowicz introduced Anissa Gaisina, Librarian, National Library of Udmurt Republic

Karen Wei introduced Yong Won Kim, Professor, Surugadai University

Katie Clark introduced Pancras Kimaru, Ag. Provincial Librarian, Kenya National Library

Lisa Hinchliffe introduced David Muswii, Principal Librarian, Kenya National Library

Lynne Rudasill introduced Charles Nzivo, District Librarian, Kenya National Library

David Griffiths introduced Raymond Osiro, Librarian, Kenya National Library

Rajwant Chilana introduced Tella Ramadevi, Documentation Officer, National Institute of Rural  Development

Karen Hogenboom introduced Doris Segoale, Information Specialist, National Department of Transport

Nelly Gonzalez introduced Luis Alfredo Suarez, Librarian, Dario Enchandia Library

Setsuko Noguchi introduced Michiyo Takao, Staff in Charge of Accounting, Seijo University Library

Jing Liao introduced Seneida Velasquez, Local Information Service Clerk, Caja de Compensacion Familiar Comfenalco

 

8.    Announcements

       Paula Kaufman announced that the President and Mrs. Stukel are hosting the Trustees for      dinner in the Rare Book and Special Collections Library.

       Barbara Ford announced that the Mortenson Lecture is Tuesday, September 23 at 4:00pm in 126 GSLIS.

 

The meeting adjourned at 4:42pm.