Library Committee Handbook

Library Faculty Meeting Agenda Committee

Library Faculty Meeting

Meetings 2014-2015

Meetings 2013-2014

Meetings 2012-2013

Meetings 2011-2012

Meetings 2010-2011

Meetings 2009-2010

Meetings 2008-2009

Meetings 2007-2008

Meetings 2006-2007

Meetings 2005-2006

Meetings 2004-2005

Meetings 2003-2004

Meetings 2002-2003

Meetings 2001-2002

Library Faculty Meeting

Library Faculty Meeting
Tuesday, June 15, 2004
3:00-4:45 pm
Illini Union, Room 314A

 

Paula Kaufman, presiding, called the meeting to order at 3:00 pm after it was determined that a quorum was present.

 

1.    Approval of faculty meeting minutes of May 18 th, 2004

       A motion was made by Lynne Rudasill to accept the minutes as submitted. The motion was seconded by Sue Searing.

 

2.    University Librarian’s report-Paula Kaufman

       The University does not have a budget yet but the Budget Group has come up with four different scenarios that range from optimistic to disastrous. There is no speculation as to when the budget might be released.

 

       As far as revenue generation, the Library is working on changing someone’s assignment to include revenue generation.

 

       The campaign is currently at $11 million. Lyn and Paula are planning a campaign forum update in the near future. One activity that the Foundation is pursuing is mining the alumni database and pulling out those who fit the profile of current library donors. Currently there are 8,000 leads that Roxanne Frey is following.

 

       The September 11, UCLA game has been designated Library Day. The Division of Intercollegiate Athletics has added money to the tickets that the Library will receive.  They are also matching $5 gifts this year and will match $5-$500 gifts next year.  On the night before the game, the Stukels will host a dinner for about 200 possible donors or lapsed Library donors.  Bobby Mitchell, who is on our Campaign Steering Committee, will be at both the dinner and the UCLA game. He is an All American football player and is in the Football Hall of Fame.

 

       The NDIIPP project at the Library of Congress has many partners including GSLIS and us. They announced its first group yesterday that included Harvard, Hopkins, Stanford, and Old Dominion. Hopefully ours will go through soon.

 

       Previously, there has been a request from the Library for the University to set priorities but that has never happened. At the last Dean’s meeting, however, the Provost announced that there is opportunity money available from the state and that we are going to use it for our priority, which is the Life Sciences. There will be buildings on the south farms research park area. Paula will be on the committee that will be working on the plans. So we now have a stated University priority and will want to keep that in mind.

 

       June 16, Paula is going to Ithaka. This is a new organization run by Kevin Gutherie. This could be a possible source of additional funding, but the project details are still vague.

 

3.    Committee reports

       Executive Committee – Beth Woodard

       Since the last faculty meeting on May 18th, the Executive Committee has met twice, on Monday, May 24th, and Monday, June 14th, as regularly scheduled meetings, and submitted its 5-year review of the University Librarian, which recommends the reappointment of the University Librarian.  A complete report of the evaluation process will be placed in the University Archives as an open document.

Approval of the minutes
Minutes of the last two meetings were approved as submitted.

Question Time

Paula Kaufman reported good news that Undergrad 291/295 will be combined in a new departmental computer teaching space next summer with money from the Provost. At a Dean’s meeting, there are opportunity funds for the life sciences, and Paula Kaufman requested that she be appointed to the committee making recommendations. The Long Range Advisory Committee met with the Provost and the Chancellor and raised the issue of making startup funds available for new areas and new faculty.  Karen Schmidt has drawn up a representative list of topics. The Orchard Downs area is being examined for renovation, and a possible consequence may be that the Hort Field Lab may be part of the redevelopment.  In which case, Archives and student life collections will need to be relocated. The Library quilt is ready and will be displayed in 428 Library. The Unit Heads meeting went well, and there was some feeling that the group should meet on a semester basis, but for shorter periods.


 

Personnel
Confidential personnel matters were discussed at both meetings. Internal reviewers were selected for 3 candidates for promotion. A description for an academic professional for collection development support for a departmental library was discussed. An appointment to a peer review committee was made.

The PTA/FRC proposal
PTA and FRC have proposed a different way of dealing with peer review committee reports, suggesting that FRC continue examining 3Y, 4Y and 5Y reports, and the PTA examine 0Y, 1Y, 2Y and 3Y, and that both take formal votes at 3Y.  If the 3Y review leaves some remaining questions, then the group may recommend a more formal review at 4Y.  The impact on the calendar was discussed.

Gifts from Vendors Policy   
The draft policy was discussed.  Lisa German will add a section on how to deal with vendors during an RFP process.

Budget updates
Paula Kaufman reported on the meeting she and Rod had with the Provost, but is not at liberty to make anything public until the state budget is final. Rod Allen attended the second EC meeting and presented 4 different plans depending on whether or not the library is given any new permanent or temporary money, and whether or not there will be cuts. Paula distributed the Budget Implementation Team Report.  The five teams were discussed, and a suggestion was made that the Access and Digital Library Teams need to be recast as complementary and
a small group was formed for the task.  Implementation of this structure was also discussed, including training implications and how units could be compensated and supported
.

 

4.    Other reports

       Budget Implementation Team Progress Update – Kaufman

       Paula assured the group that there are still no plans to lay off any staff.

 

       The plan is to have three operational teams and two functionally operated teams. The operational teams include CAMEL (Cyclical And Makeshift Emergency Logistics Squad) and the Circulation/Call Slip Processing/Phone Center Team.  The PSED/LSD Team will work primarily as the two above teams but will be outside the Main and UG Libraries.

 

       The two functional teams include the Access Strategy Task Force and the Digital Library Team.  The Access Strategy Task Force is charged with recommending a Library-wide infrastructure that will promote ready access for the UIUC user community to all Library collections. The Digital Library Team is charged to develop a team approach to digital library work as a precursor to a more permanent mechanism for involving librarians across the Library in a variety of digital library activities, whether they involve collections digitization, the development of new services, standards for creating metadata, implementation, testing, and customization of components like a metasearch engine, a link resolver, or digital collections management solutions.

 

       By next week the Budget Implementation Team hopes to identify and invite individuals to joint the five teams. Supervisors will also be contacted. This is a ½ time assignments and there will be some compensation in the form of student help for the units as well as student help for the teams. There will be a liaison that will monitor each team so they know what needs to be done and how it needs to be done.  Beth Woodard is working on training programs for each team so they will be prepared for what they are asked to do, so the teams have as much support as they need. We will be keeping in touch with units, who will be benefiting from having these tasks done, so we can see how well they are working. 

 

       We will test these teams for a year and see how they work.  In the meantime we will be developing some longer-term strategies.

 

       Paula was questioned about new ILCSO products being investigated. UIUC has offered to be in the first wave of adopters of these new products. Peggy Steele, Wei Ma, John Weible, and Nuala Koetter have been involved on the committees that have done the specifications for the products and are now doing the evaluations. We hope by being one of the first adopters we might have more control over how the system will operate in the end, as well as possibly save us some money when it starts up.

 

       Archiving Issues for Print Electronic Subscriptions – Karen Schmidt

       CDC has been mulling over this issue. UIUC Library has always had a rich history of keeping print. We’ve held the line longer than other libraries on retaining print. However, we’ve cancelled duplicates where we could. For the most part our users want more and more electronic access and we can’t afford to keep both of everything.

 

       Karen would like to know how people are thinking about budget pressures to keep both electronic and print copies and referenced the guidelines that Yale has issued (http://www.library.yale.edu/ecollections/eonlyguide.html). Also, she would like the Divisions to look at strategies for keeping one or both and let the Collection Development Committee (CDC) know.

 

       Jane Block mentioned that this is not an issue for every library. In her library there are few things available electronically.

 

       At the next meeting Paula would like to talk about some issues that revolve around open access. Some institutions (Ohio State, for instance) are subsidizing submissions to open access journals by faculty and their campuses using library collection money. This is not a model we would ever think of but we need to talk about this and who we are and what we want to do.

 

       Institutional Repositories – Beth Sandore

       An Institutional Repository is important because no one is archiving what’s out there. In partnership with CITES, we were asked by the Provost to outline a proposal to build an institutional repository. In April, we presented a white paper to the Provost (Illinois Digital Scholarship: Preserving and Accessing the Digital Past, Present and Future, see http://www.library.uiuc.edu/administration/it/reports/IDSWhitePaper.pdf for full document) and met with him. He is very interested in getting the movement started.

 

       There are two issues that were presented to the Provost in the April white paper. The first issues is the development of an infrastructure so that we are able to archive our digital output. The second issue is the scholarly information production process that varies by disciplines.  This may not be embraced by all units on campus, so the Provost's support is crucial for its success.

 

       The project currently has support coming from the Provost and is endorsed by colleges and departments across campus.  The support coming from the Provost is going to be matched by equal amounts of support by CITES and the Library.  The support from the Provost will help fund somebody to coordinate and manage the project. We will have support from CITES to help us build reliable mass storage to support whatever objects we are going to be archiving and to figure out how we will preserve them. We want to figure out how to make it easy and efficient for faculty and students to deposit in the repository.  We can draw extensively from the experiences of other libraries for this.

 

       The Library will add vision and direction. Paula Kaufman and Pete Siegel (Chief Information Officer) are co-chairing a steering committee that involve faculty, Deans & Department Heads, and Beth Sandore is also co-chairing, with Mike Grady from CITES, a working group that will organize and help move ahead the operation and work.  Other potential partners are NCSA, Computer Science, and other departments at UIS and UIC.

 

       Paula Kaufman stated that from the very beginning of our discussions we’ve looked at this as the Libraries responsibility to do the selection. We need to go with a very carefully crafted set of values and philosophies in which to make our selections over time.

 

       We’ve been working with the graduate college on electronic theses and dissertations for about five years. Pete Siegel and Paula have been pushing to develop a philosophy and set of principals for theses and dissertations. Bob Burger is on a working group to develop processes.

 

       We have funding, support from the Provost, and we have support from at least two deans and some faculty, and the CIO.

 

5.    Announcements

       Beth Wohlgemuth announced that the Survey is promoting a program to help establish public awareness for Illinois’s endangered flora. They are giving away free posters. If you’d like one call or email Beth at 4-4907, wohlgemu@mail.inhs.uiuc.edu.

 

       Beth Sandore announced that the Systems Office will have a session on remote access. So if you are trying to connect to campus when you are away, come to the session and they will give you a bevy of options and show you how to do so.

 

       Becky Smith announced that the Commerce Library will officially change its name to Business and Economics Library on June 28, 2004.

 

       Bernice Harrington announced that performance evaluations are to due to HR on June 30. Bob Burger would like evaluations for AP and open-range employees turned in as soon as possible

 

       Katie Clark asked what will happen if the budget isn’t settled. Will we be paid? Paula Kaufman has been in contact with the Provost’s office about that issue and they will be sending information out to inform the staff.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 4:38 pm with a motion by Becky Smith.