Library Committee Handbook

Library Faculty Meeting Agenda Committee

Library Faculty Meeting

Meetings 2013-2014

Meetings 2012-2013

Meetings 2011-2012

Meetings 2010-2011

Meetings 2009-2010

Meetings 2008-2009

Meetings 2007-2008

Meetings 2006-2007

Meetings 2005-2006

Meetings 2004-2005

Meetings 2003-2004

Meetings 2002-2003

Meetings 2001-2002

Library Faculty Meeting

Library Faculty Meeting
Tuesday, March 16, 2004
3:00-4:30 pm
Illini Union, Room 314A

 

Paula Kaufman, presiding, called the meeting to order at 3:00 pm after it was determined that a quorum was present.

 

1.    Approval of faculty meeting minutes of February 17, 2004

       The minutes were approved by a motion from Al Kagan, seconded by Kathleen Kern.

 

       Announcement – Kagan

       Al Kagan announced that he had a petition from the ALA office of Intellectual Freedom titled USA Patriot Act to tell congress to change section 215. Al passed around the petition for anyone who wanted to sign it.

 

2.    Introduction of new librarians

       Lisa German introduced Atoma Batoma who recently joined the Monographic Cataloging Unit and will initially be working on French and German materials both from Europe and Africa. Atoma is fluent in English, German, French and Kabre, has five years of Latin and one year of Greek.  Atoma is a GSLIS graduate and served as graduate assistant in cataloging since 2001. He has taught several classes both at UIUC and at Parkland College including Introduction to Philosophy, French Grammar, and Speech Com 111-112. In addition to an MLS from GSLIS, Atoma has a Doctorat en Philosophie et Lettres from the Universite of Liege in Belgium.

 

       Tim Cole introduced Muriel Foulonneau who joined the UIUC Library faculty on March 3 rd as Visiting Assistant Professor and Coordinator for the CIC – Open Archives Initiative Metadata Harvesting project. This is a two and a half year project based at the Grainger Engineering Library for which the UIUC will harvest metadata from 10 CIC institutions and collaborate with librarians at each institution to advance our collective understanding of metadata describing digital content and metadata interoperability and investigate the utility of metadata aggregations to facilitate digital resource search and discovery. Muriel comes to us from Paris, France. There, she worked for Relais Culture Europe as an advisor on information technologies to the French Ministry of Culture, especially on matters relating to digitization, metadata, and interoperability. She was involved in several major digital library initiatives in Europe, including Project Minerva, the Open Archives Forum, and she has been involved in the work of the National Representatives Group reporting to the European Commission on matters relating to the Coordination of Digitization in Europe. Muriel has an advanced degree in Information Management from the Superior School of Information and Library Science, University of Lyon I, as well as an advanced degree in Economic History. She has worked previously in the Dominican Republic. This is her first job and her first time in the U.S.

 

       Bob Burger introduced Jeff Schrader, Director of Library Facilities. Jeff is a licensed architect and is formerly the associate campus architect and has many years experience in dealing with the ins and outs of library facilities and facilities in general on this campus. He is also very much involved with the new Siebel Computing building and Spurlock Museum. So he has a really fine background in cultural institutions and facilities and how facilities support that.

 

3.    University Librarian’s report - Kaufman

       Paula announced that the Senate Committee on the Library is very interested in issues of Scholarly Communications. It has not gone unnoticed by the committee that several other institutions have passed senate resolutions urging faculty on their campus to take action of various types; such as to not publish in Elsevier or other publications. Paula doesn’t think the committee is going to go that route for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that such resolutions have been passed before and it seems to be a hollow gesture. The Committee is meeting tomorrow and has invited Emily Watts, chair of the Senate Committee on Academic Freedom to join the group. That committee has recently done a survey of all kinds of publishing practices and acceptance of published materials by department Promotion & Tenure committees. The committee is interested to hear what she’s found out and to continue the discussion around the committee table. Last month Paula Watson joined the committee and as a result of that conversation there will be a series of two articles that will appear in Inside Illinois. Paula Watson has been working with Andrea Lynn, one of the writers in the news bureau and she will be gathering information from a number of Library faculty.

 

       Paula also gave an update on the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) post-doctoral fellowships.  The Library has offered two fellowships; one with Lisa Hinchliffe and one with Miranda Remnek. They’ve received hundreds of applications, though only 57 are complete, with fifteen applicants picking UIUC as their first choice. Miranda and Lisa are currently evaluating the applicants. The Library will soon put forward the names of our top three applicants.

 

       Additionally, the search for the new CLIR President is progressing and an announcement of a new president should be coming next month.

 

4.    Committee Reports

       Executive Committee – Woodard

       Since the last faculty meeting on February 17th, the Executive committee met twice, on Monday, February 23, and Monday, March 8

The committee also met twice without Paula Kaufman, on Thursday, March 4 to revise the faculty and staff surveys for the 5 year review, and as a full evaluation committee with John Unsworth on Monday, March 15.  The committee hopes to send out evaluation surveys during spring break, with a return date of April 15.

Diversity committee proposal discussion
        Dana Wright and Mary Mallory discussed the proposal to have a Diversity Committee in the library. The Committee felt that the proposal should be brought to a faculty meeting in order for it to be a part of a broader discussion about diversity goals of the library.

Latina/Latino Discussion
        The Executive Committee invited Dana Wright to their discussion of the Latina/Latino report entitled "Latinas/os at the University of Illinois: A History of Neglect and Strategies for Improvement, 1992-2002" authored by the Chancellor's Committee on Latina/o Issues. The Committee talked about recruitment and retention as well as collections and services.  Paula drafted a response to the Chancellor's request for an action plan for becoming more inclusive with respect Latina/o students, faculty, and staff and also vendors and service providers.  After asking for input, the report was sent in.

Question time
     The progress of the Target of Opportunity applications were discussed.

        The process for the 3Y reference letters, and how the straggling references will be managed was discussed. A concern was voiced that mixed messages are being given 3Y faculty about the identification of external evaluators.  Peer Review Committee members would like for FRC to let them know if their candidate is identified as having trouble.  EC agreed that they would ask FRC to notify Peer Review Committees.

        Nancy O'Brien's name has been put forward to serve on the committee to select the new President by the Faculty Senate.

        A question about the role of the intake officers mentioned in the last faculty meeting EC report was received by the vice-chair.  Cindy Ingold and Bruce Swann, the Library's intake officers, will receive training in April, so they are not clear yet on the scope of their role, but they, as well as EC, felt that these individuals will deal with all sorts of harassment issues on campus.  The minutes of this meeting will include the web address for the campus policy.
http://www.fs.uiuc.edu/cam/CAM/ix/ix-b/ix-b-3.html


PTA Chair
        The committee nominated Lynn Wiley and she agreed to serve.

     Decision on Labor Library Staffing recommendation or rather, the Commerce Library staffing recommendation since Commerce is assuming responsibility for the Labor Library.

     After discussion the committee recommended that a half-time Academic Professional be advertised for the Commerce Library.  There was a concern raised about this move from a tenure-track position to a non tenure-track one by the EEO committee.  Paula took the question to David Swanson in the Provost's office, and he affirmed that campus policy is not to hire half-time faculty for permanent positions.

Review of Job Descriptions
        The Committee made some suggestions about job descriptions for the Digital Services Librarian, the Rare Books and Special Collections Head, and the Undergraduate Library Instruction Coordinator position. The suggestions will be given to the search committees and the Committee asked that the job description for the Digital Services Librarian position be
brought back to EC.

Spousal Hire Request
        A screening committee was recommended in response to a request to hire a spouse of a faculty member in another department.

Faculty Rollback Request
        The committee approved a request for an interruption of the probationary period for an untenured faculty member.  Paula will forward the recommendation.

 

       Al Kagan asked for clarification on the Labor and Industrial Relations position. Beth commented that the position was actually a Commerce position. Commerce has taken responsibility for the Labor Library. Yoo-Seong Song will work part-time in Labor and and part-time in Commerce. The other half of his Commerce duties will be filled by a half-time position in Commerce.

 

5.    Other reports

       Information Literacy Update – Hinchliffe

       For a summary of Lisa's presentation on the progress of the Information Literacy infrastructure and projects, please see the power point presentation associated with these minutes.

 

       Budget Planning and Strategies – Kaufman

       Paula announced to the faculty that the budget situation is not stabilizing. The Library is not going to be able to continue with “business as usual.” Over the past half century the Library has seen the University budget decrease and then rebound, but his time it’s unlikely the budget will rebound, and the Library will need to look towards a longer-term future.  The best case scenario is no cuts in the Library budget, even though we have had very strong advocacy. The future is still looking at 9-10% inflation in collections and we have other obligations that range from Oak Street, to continuing increase in our patrons expectations and demands of us, to technology replacements and upgrades and, additionally, we don’t want to lag behind in salaries. The Library has some non-financial issues that stem from all of this, not the least of which are the lower morale and higher stress levels we are all experiencing.

 

       Paula would like the Library faculty to look ahead at developing a long-term plan. Many departments around campus are undergoing major overhauls and big changes in the way they do things.

 

       A progressive longer-term plan will give us better alternatives. The Budget Group is working on a plan that will be distributed at the end of the month. The Budget Group will meet with the Executive Committee, which will be intimately involved in the plan. The plan is set up for input from the faculty, and will then go back to the Budget Group to be formalized. The principles that the plan will follow are:

 

1.      This is not business as usual.

2.      We have to focus on service to users.

3.      We must work to maintain the special character of our Library.

4.      We must work hard to retain all staff.

5.      If we have to reallocate people, we will do it differently than last year.

6.      Oak Street is important and must be supported.

 

Nancy O’Brien asked how hours would be affected. Paula commented that the Administrative Council discussed the hours situation at their last meeting. The committee discussed grouping libraries and having consistent hours within the groups. This didn’t seem feasible at this time, but the discussion will continue.

 

Tim Cole commented that the principles don’t articulate what we’re going to cut. He wanted to know what the philosophy was for what we’re going to cut. Once we’ve determined what the cuts will be, he felt they should be sent to campus so they can see what we will have to cut.

 

Maria Porta asked about whether salaries come from State budget allocations. Since salaries are a big part of our budget and we’re getting a lesser percentage from the State budget, she asked where salary money will come from. Paula explained that salary increases come from tuition increases and tuition continues to go up. Paula added that the University budget can no longer support the same level of staffing that we had two years ago. The Provost and Deans are committed to increasing salaries for people that are already here. A big portion of the University budget is people, so as budgets decrease so do the number of people. There is support for increasing salaries and a lot of the money we get from campus is allocated to salaries.

 

Tim Cole asked if the Library is more susceptible because we rely so heavily on state funds. Paula responded that other colleges get disproportionate dollars from tuition.  Rod Allen commented that it varies from college to college.

 

Lisa German asked what Paula meant about “not business as usual.” Each year we deal with stuff around the fringe. She asked if we are going to see something really radical.

 

Paula noted that she prefers the term 'progressive' instead of 'radical'. If the Library looks at the documents divisions have produced over the last two years and the documents that were produced for how we would design the Library for the next 25 years if you were designing from scratch, there are some trends. If you look at the Strategic Planning notes you see additional trends there; consolidating service points within the main library building and outside the main library building is a suggestion and a set of trends that come through in the Strategic Planning document is something we are going to look very seriously at. We are not proposing to close libraries. We are trying to keep our culture while looking at ways to do what we need to do. The Library has to look more globally at what we’re doing.

 

Tom Weissinger asked if there was a goal or percentage of money we are looking to save. Paula said we will look at what we can do first and see how much money we could save. Unavoidables will be articulated in the document. The Library is expecting a lower cut this year than over the last couple of years.

 

Barb Henigman asked about the retention money in reserve. Paula said there has been no word on it. Maria Porta wanted to know what we will do with the money if we get to keep it and Paula commented that we have lots of good ideas but nothing is firm.

 

 

       Special Collections Division Report – Maher

University Archives' mission has three major components: university records oversight, especially in regard to electronic records as the Banner system is implemented with no
records-keeping components; faculty and alumni papers; and association archives, held on a contract-reimbursement basis and including organizations such as the ALA, Ad Council, and American Society for Quality.  The latter two categories account for much of the use, especially that from off-site.  Major initiatives include the Howe Endowment supported Archives for Student Life and Culture which has programs to actively engage undergraduates in use of archival materials, such as through a Student Advisory Committee and liaison with the Ethnography of the University program.  The Archivist for Electronic Records has directed a project with funding from Facilities and Services to support a
full-time, one-year professional to create a records and information management plan for the business critical functions of Abbott Power Plant.  In addition, the Archives is actively
using new technology to increase access to all archival finding aids and to make the full content of selected documents available electronically through its website.

The Rare Books and Special Collections Library (RBSCL) is in a time of transition with the retirement of Nancy Romero and the recent departure from Barbara Jones, and the unit is under the interim directorship of Bruce Swann, "on loan" from the Classics Library.  RBSLC is engaged in projects for upgrading catalog records, clean-up of catalog records converted via the Mellon project, and migrating 18th century materials from the general Stacks to secure storage areas.  A significant activity in RBSCL is donor and administrator relations.  They have supported events and tours involving the University Foundation, Library Friends,
Board of Trustees, IBHE officials, and visiting dignitaries and scholars.  In recent years, RBSCL has witnessed increased use, especially by classes. In the past 6 months, RBSCL had over 700 registered users.

The Illinois Historical Survey and Lincoln Room, like much of the Division, does not serve any particular college or department, rather 6 to 8 departments and many outside students and scholars. For two years, the Historic Sites Division of the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency has provided funds for research by James Cornelius, who has supplied important support for the Survey.  Unfortunately, that funding is coming to an end.  The Survey and Lincoln Room has maintained an active liaison with the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield, but we are doubtful that there is a strong prospect for
collaboration, especially since a connection between the Lincoln Library and the UIS could not be concluded.

The Sousa Archives and Center for American Music (SACAM) is undergoing a substantial renaissance since the arrival of Scott Schwartz.  SACAM has embarked on a complete re-housing and re-inventorying of the Sousa collection, reconfiguration of the space to better support users and museum display, developing policies and procedures, a new website and a name change. SACAM has been catching up on processing several Sousa and American music collections, and it has been negotiating further acquisitions, such as the papers of Sousa's longtime biographer, a West-coast cornetist, and a University of Illinois faculty "new
music" composer.  Major plans are underway for a November 2004 Sousa Sesquicentennial celebration which will include a football gameday named for American music, a KCPA performance by the Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra (along with master classes for area schools) and other performances and lectures relating to American music.

The Map and Geography Library is celebrating its 60 th anniversary, now under its seventh head, Jenny Johnson.  The unit includes 19,600 volumes, 583,100 maps (including 179,600 aerial photographs), and more than 30,000 uncatalogued items.  The Map Library has world-wide coverage for geography, cartography, meteorology, climatology, and map librarianship, and it serves several departments including geography, geology, city planning, political science, architecture, history, and others in the humanities and social sciences.  Because of the nature of the materials, self-service is difficult and supporting circulation is very labor intensive.  Nevertheless, in FY 2003, the unit answered nearly 4,000 reference questions and loaned about 24,000 items.

Overall, the single greatest need in the Division is for completion of the Special Collections Building which was first conceptualized and listed as a campus and Foundation priority 30
years ago.

 

6.    Old Business

       Kaufman - The latest financial report from the Foundation on the Campaign shows that the campus is $100,000 short of $10 million towards our $30 million goal. We have another large gift that has matured that we will be receiving soon.

 

       The Library has a date from DIA: on September 11th the UCLA game will be designated as Library Day. There will be half-time spots about the Library on TV. Bobby Mitchell – a Football Hall of Famer, who played at Illinois and also for the Cleveland Browns and the Redskins, will be on the field at half-time with Paula to talk about the Library.

 

7.    New Business

Catalog Enhancement Initiative

Karen Schmidt reported on our Library affiliation with a national initiative to develop enhancements to catalog records for material that are stored in high-density facilities.  The initial meeting occurred at the ALA midwinter meeting in San Diego, and included representatives from Library of Congress, Amazon, Baker & Taylor, California Digital Library, OCLC and RLG, as well as our Library and Haverford College Library.  Robert Kieft, College Librarian at Haverford, and Susan Perry, from Mellon and CLIR, were the convenors.  The discussion in San Diego focused on common interests, next steps for developing a program to address catalog enhancement issues, and how commercial book suppliers as well as organizations like the Library of Congress and OCLC can work together on this project collaboratively.  Bill Mischo and Tim Cole will join a discussion at the upcoming Digital Library Federation (DLF) forum, and Betsy Kruger and Naun Chew have been added to the group that has emerged from this initial meeting.  The group will meet again at ALA Annual.  Karen invited any Library faculty interested in joining this discussion and planning to let her know.

 

Katie Clark commented that some records coming from the Library of Congress have links to Table of Contents but that doesn’t help with key word searches.

 

Al Kagan commented that the enhanced catalog records from the Hennepin catalog are in our Archives.

 

Other announcements

Karen also reported that Tina Chrzastowski, Michael Norman, Naun Chew, and she had developed a proposal for ICCMP funding for a statewide serials analysis.  The project proposes to use Ulrich’s Serial Analyzer to look at issues of strength of collections across the state, overlap, and last copy.   The topic “science” is being broadly defined and will include psychology, nursing, health sciences, agriculture, biotechnology, etc.

 

Karen also reported that, with the help of Paula Kaufman working with the CIC University Librarians, she is spearheading a discussion within the CIC to look at issues of journal overlap and last copy.  Bonnie MacEwan at Penn State and Ed Shreeves at University of Iowa are joining the project. 

 

8.    Announcements

       Paula announced that the Council of Academic Libraries has agreed to dissolve itself and reform into something more stable, better financed, and more energetic. It appointed a group of eight people that have come out with a report on what the future of the group should be. The report is available on the web site for ICCMP and ILCSO. Please take a look at this report. Paula is on the ILCSO Board so if you have any comments she will be glad to take them forward.

 

       The State library has funded a consultant to put together an RFI for someone to do a needs assessment for preservation in the State Library, museums, archives and historical societies and has also funded someone to put together a proposal for ICCMP for some money that would plan for last copies and shared storage.

 

 

The meeting adjourned at 4:20 with a motion from Gail Hueting seconded by Katie Clark.