Library Committee Handbook

Library Faculty Meeting Agenda Committee

Library Faculty Meeting

Meetings 2013-2014

Meetings 2012-2013

Meetings 2011-2012

Meetings 2010-2011

Meetings 2009-2010

Meetings 2008-2009

Meetings 2007-2008

Meetings 2006-2007

Meetings 2005-2006

Meetings 2004-2005

Meetings 2003-2004

Meetings 2002-2003

Meetings 2001-2002

Library Faculty Meeting

 

Tuesday, May 20, 2003
3:00-4:30 pm
Illini Union, Room 314A 

Greg Youngen, presiding, called the meeting to order at 3:00 pm after it was determined that a quorum was present. Greg asked for a moment of silence to honor the memory of our dear friend and colleague Leslie Troutman. 

1.    Approval of faculty meeting minutes of April 15, 2003  

The minutes were approved. 

2.   Committee reports  

Executive Committee (Greg Youngen)  

Greg Youngen presented a report on meetings held on April 28, May 5, and May 7.  

At the April 28 meeting Bob Burger visited the committee to discuss developments in technical services and cataloging. He also reviewed the progress of several new initiatives. There was a discussion regarding the revised pay date, and at that time EC interpreted the change as not amounting to a pay cut, but the question was to resurface at a later meeting. EC agreed to the request to fill the upcoming vacancy in the VetMed Library, and a search committee was recommended. On the topic of budget strategies, EC had preliminary discussions on staffing levels, budget cut scenarios, and contingency plans for various levels of budget cuts. EC is now looking at a 5-8% cut in its planning process. 

On May 5 EC approved a 0% faculty appointment for incoming GSLIS dean, John Unsworth. The decision must now be voted on by the faculty. Internal and external reviewers were selected for two tenure cases. Also, EC endorsed Paula Kaufman's four primary goals of protecting as many full time staff positions as possible, protecting the collection budget's bottom line, increasing revenues where possible, and not hiding cuts. 

On May 7 the question of the change in pay date came up again. After further information was brought to light by Margaret Chaplan's letter outlining contractual and legal ramifications of the change in pay date, EC decided to let the University make this call and is awaiting the decision from the University administration. There was further discussion of the budget, and finally a discussion of questions from the Promotion and Tenure Committee, based on Kathleen Kluegel's meeting with Kathleen Pecknold, Associate Provost and Director of Academic Human Resources. There are some differences in the way that the Library handles the Peer Review Process. EC agreed that review of peer review committee reports is beneficial to candidates. EC also recognized that FRC has very much on its agenda at this time and probably cannot review the reports adequately. EC recommends that dossiers continue to be reviewed by both the PTA and FRC. This process will be reviewed at the end of this cycle. EC also recommends that elections for PTA should continue as they have been conducted. Written letters from FRC and PTA are an important part of the process, but FRC letters should not be shared with PTA members, and they will not be part of the candidate's dossier, but they will be kept in personnel files. 

Al Kagan asked for clarification on the EC decision regarding the change in pay date. Greg reiterated that EC is awaiting the University's decision before it makes another decision. Al Kagan discussed meetings he had with the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs, University Counsel, the Board of Trustees, and the Chancellor, and outlined the different views. A discussion arose in which Bart Clark stressed that Library faculty would have to go through the proper channels in pursuing this issue. Beth Sandore emphasized the aspect of hardship over that of a paycut. Kathleen Kluegel expressed the view that this situation does amount to a pay cut. 

Collection Development Committee (Karen Schmidt)  

Karen Schmidt presented highlights from the 2002-2003 academic year. The focus of CDC changed in 2002-2003.  The work of the CDC Budget Subcommittee was folded into the committee as a whole to address the need for divisional representation.  The EIRC (Electronic Information Resources Committee) was under review by the Executive Committee and some of the policy work was addressed by the CDC.  The CDC also reviewed a number of preservation-related issues.  As a result, all aspects of collection development and management were included in the CDC work. 

CDC continued its policy of asking two faculty members to serve as interns to the committee.  This past year, Joe Zumalt and Cindy Ingold served in this capacity. Interns are full participants in CDC discussions. 

Policy and procedural issues included: 

Among other topics, CDC also discussed a model of the 2% reallocation taken out to the next five years, the stacks assessment that Stephanie Atkins and Tom Teper conducted, an extension of the EBO profile, and print retention projects. 

Over the next few months, the committee will continue to look at budget allocation issues, and has agreed to institute allocation and 2% reallocation planning in the fall of 2004. It also needs to finalize a policy on withdrawing questioned books from the collection. 

Colloquium Committee (Joyce Wright)  

Joyce Wright reported, on behalf of chair Nuala Bennett, on the five programs organized this past year, which included talks by Dr. Dan Traister , Dr. P. V. Konnur on LIS education in India, and Dr. Pradip K. Upadhyay on rural library and information systems in India. This semester there have been two colloquia on aspects of library history, by Prof. Emeritus Winton Solberg and Prof. Emeritus Pat Stenstrom. On October 24, E.J. Josey, Professor Emeritus from the School of Library and Information Science of the University of Pittsburgh, will speak in connection with the 50 th anniversary of Brown v. Board of Education.  

Joyce outlined changes made this year, including development of the committee's website. She reminded faculty that colloquia are taped and that one copy is kept in LIS Library, and one is digitized and put on the committee website. There has been a change in how colloquia are promoted. This year a decision was made to advertise through e-mail, listservs, word of mouth, instead of by preparing and distributing flyers. The number of attendees does not seem to have diminished as a result of this decision. Also, one more speaker can be arranged for this summer, and faculty members are invited to submit suggestions. 

Faculty Review Committee (Gail Hueting)  

Gail Hueting explained that the schedule for the Faculty Review Committee runs from December to November, and that today's report serves as an interim report. The committee has completed the scoring of the 2002 annual reports and has given the ranked list to Paula Kaufman. This year, as last year, FRC continues to be impressed with how much colleagues accomplished in a difficult environment. The committee plans to send out letters indicating scores in June, and will provide evaluative comments to tenure track faculty. Anyone seeking more feedback is encouraged to talk to the divisional FRC representative. 

The process of reviewing peer review committee reports was put on hold in March because it was uncertain whether the Promotion and Tenure Advisory Committee would participate in the review. The Executive Committee has discussed the matter, and FRC appreciates its recommendations. FRC has made plans to conduct the review alone if PTA members do not take part. 

FRC received the results of the survey that Pat Allen conducted in the winter.  Slightly more respondents disagreed than agreed that the evaluative feedback received from FRC would be helpful in planning their future work habits.  Substantially more agreed than disagreed that there should be more administrative evaluation of librarianship from unit heads, division coordinators, or AULs. People felt that there should be feedback from those they supervised and from non-supervisory colleagues. Many people were satisfied with the level of goal-setting feedback they received from their administrative leaders or supervisors. They disagreed that FRC could adequately evaluate their librarianship and, in nearly the same proportion, disagreed that the effort that library faculty put into writing annual reports produced meaningful results. Many would like more feedback in all three areas: librarianship, research, and service.  Gail thanked the faculty members who responded and who in some cases wrote lengthy comments. Since there are fewer tenure cases next fall, FRC will have the opportunity to work on its documentation. A major change in the annual review process would, of course, have to come before the faculty as a whole.  

Barbara Jones thanked Gail Hueting for her outstanding leadership this year. 

Integrated System Coordinating Committee (Peggy Steele) 

This report was delivered after the report on IT Planning delivered by Beth Sandore.  

This year, ISCC successfully implemented Voyager for cataloging, circulation, and OPAC display. Requesting has returned to normal levels after taking a dip last fall, and the Library has been billing patrons for lost items and recall fines, after a hiatus of several months. UIC is now a full member of ILCSO resource sharing activities. ILSCO and Endeavor still have a number of Universal Borrowing functionality issues to deal with, and internally there are some database cleanup projects to complete. The Library will be coming up on Voyager Acquisitions on July 1, and moving in a longer time frame toward online check-in, claiming, and processing of serials. Both of these changes are historic events. For the first time ever, Acquisitions activity will be fully integrated into the Library's overall management system, along with the other basic functions of cataloging, circulation, and the OPAC.  

Acquisitions is gearing up to use Voyager's EDI function this fall. This will begin by working with EBSCO to do electronic invoicing, then will involve using other vendors for invoicing, followed by electronic ordering and claiming with a variety of vendors. The electronic feed from Voyager to the new UIUC Banner system has been developed to transmit bills and fines from Voyager Circulation to Campus Accounts Receivable, and an electronic feed has been developed to transmit invoices and vouchers from Voyager Acquisitions to Campus Accounts Payable. Work is being done with Voyager teams to develop a basic set of reports for each functional area of the system. This work will be one of the major tasks in the next year. The plan is to set things up so that designated personnel in each functional area will be able to run specific reports on their own, in consultation with the Systems Office if there are problems. We will also be starting routine and on-demand reports for fund managers.  

Six people from UIUC attended the annual Voyager User Group meeting in Chicago last month. This is a cohesive and supportive group. ILSCO plans to have twelve new ILCSO libraries up on Voyager in the fall. ILCSO plans to implement the next release of Voyager, Release 2001.2, in December 2003. Information on the release can be found on the Voyager web page. 

Mortenson Center Advisory Committee (Barbara Ford)  

Barbara Ford explained the goals and membership of the committee. The committee has met once since Barbara arrived in January, discussed a variety of subjects, and agreed to continue meeting once a semester. She encouraged faculty members to serve on the committee, as several terms will expire this year. 

3.   Other reports  

Report on ARL Special Collections Task Force and Yale Conference to Revise the Rare Book Cataloging Rules (Barbara Jones

Barbara Jones spoke about the opportunity for interested librarians to serve on the ARL Task Force on Special Collections formed two years ago at Brown University. The group meets two to three times a year. Barbara is a chair of the subgroup on "Hidden Collections." They estimate that there are millions of collections and books nationwide that do not even have a brief record. The problem of unprocessed backlogs was cited as the number one problem nationwide at the Brown conference that inaugurated this effort. Barbara has written a white paper entitled "Hidden Collections, Scholarly Barriers" that will be on the ARL website in about a week. A conference will be held at the Library of Congress on September 8-9 sponsored by ARL and LC to deal with this problem. It is an invitational conference, and Barbara asks anyone interested to contact her. It involves a three-part approach for local library budget reallocation to tackle backlogs, relaxing of cataloging rules, and external funding.  

There was an invitational conference at Yale University in March on revision of the Rare Book Cataloging Rules, in view of the upcoming LC conference. Material from that conference is on the website of the Rare Book and Manuscript Section. The idea is to provide at least a minimal level of access to materials. Barbara encouraged people to contact her if they are interested in more information. 

Report on IT Planning (Beth Sandore) 

Beth Sandore presented an update on Library IT Planning. She explained what is meant by IT Planning, and discussed the work done over the past year on the IT Assessment Report, which was endorsed in principle by Administrative Council in February 2003. The report makes recommendations in five general areas. The primary units dealing with IT are the Library Systems Office, the integrated library system, the Digital Imaging and Media Technology Initiative, and the Digital Library Initiative programs at the Grainger Library. Beth discussed progress made in the five general areas:   

4.  Old business  

There was no old business.  

5.   New business  

Proposal from Executive Committee regarding 0% appointment for John Unsworth on the Library faculty  

The library faculty voted unanimously to approve the appointment.  

6.   Announcements  

Beth Wohlgemuth of the Illinois Natural History Survey Library announced that today they have moved to a new web page. 

Karen Schmidt announced that there is still time to submit a contribution to the 10 millionth-and-one volume. There have been many beautiful submissions, and she encouraged faculty members to submit further contributions by the end of the month, or up to early June.  

The meeting was adjourned at 4:10 pm. 

Janice Pilch
Secretary of the Faculty