Library Committee Handbook

Library Faculty Meeting Agenda Committee

Library Faculty Meeting

Meetings 2014-2015

Meetings 2013-2014

Meetings 2012-2013

Meetings 2011-2012

Meetings 2010-2011

Meetings 2009-2010

Meetings 2008-2009

Meetings 2007-2008

Meetings 2006-2007

Meetings 2005-2006

Meetings 2004-2005

Meetings 2003-2004

Meetings 2002-2003

Meetings 2001-2002

Library Faculty Meeting

 

August 19, 2003

314A Illini Union

300 - 430 pm

Paula Kaufman, presiding, called the meeting to order at 3:00 pm after it was determined that a quorum was present. 

1.        Approval of faculty meeting minutes of June 17, 2003 

       Sue Searing motioned to approve the minutes. Lura Joseph seconded the motion, and the minutes were approved. 

2.        Introduction of new librarians 

       Karen Wei introduced Shu Yong Jiang, Chinese Studies Librarian and Cataloging Coordinator and Muhammad al-Faruque, Middle Eastern Studies Librarian, new faculty members in the Asian Library.  

3.        University Librarian's report 

Paula Kaufman reported that groundbreaking for the Oak Street facility is expected during the second week of September. On October 10 the Library will celebrate the 10 millionth and 10 millionth-and-first volumes in the Marshall Gallery at 1:00, in conjunction with the announcement for the Campus Campaign for the Library. Also, on October 30 and 31 the Conference on the Future of the Library will be held, hosted by the Long-Range Advisory Committee. The Provost will pay for the conference, and it is open to everyone on campus. Ten speakers from the U.S. and Canada have been invited to speak about five different topics. This conference will help the committee to continue its work on defining for the campus what the Library should look like in the future. On Friday there will be discussion groups to which everyone is invited to participate. All the library advisory committees on campus have been invited, and any departmental faculty who might be interested in participating should be encouraged.  

       Paula asked if there were questions concerning the budget, as there have been no changes since the last communication.  

       Katie Clark whether we would receive an announcement providing a list of the staff reassignments. Paula answered that the announcement is supposed to be sent, and she will make a reminder to this effect. 

       Discussion of Graduate Assistant audit  (Paula Kaufman and Kate Winkler)   

       The audit is the result of work done in the last couple of years by the GEO to organize graduate assistants. GSLIS students who are graduate assistants in the Library are considered pre-professional and are exempt from the bargaining unit.  The audit is our attempt to make sure that the students are doing pre-professional work so that we can satisfy those requirements. Kate Winkler has worked on GA projects before and she is working on this audit. Our goal is to make the audit as unintrusive as possible. 

      Kate Winkler explained that the procedure for the audit is still developing. There may be collaboration with faculty members to see if a paper or study could result from the audit. This will not involve all GAs in all libraries, but it will be a sample audit. Kate will meet briefly, probably for 20 minutes, with the supervisor, review the job description that is on file in Room 127, and give the supervisor a chance to verify that it is accurate. If it has changed, time will be allowed for revision of the description. Then Kate will work each GA to review the description and to have the GA show how tasks are performed, and also to find out if there is a specialized database in that library that the GA uses. This should take no more than 20-30 minutes contact time with the supervisor and less than an hour with the GA. 

       Joyce Wright asked whether the GAs would be notified. Kate answered yes. 

       JoAnn Jacoby asked when will the process would begin. Kate replied that it will not begin before the middle of fall term. 

       Paula Kaufman announced that the latest ARL newsletter contains a transcript of a talk given by John Unsworth, new Dean of GSLIS, for ACLS on the Crisis of Scholarly Publishing in the Humanities. It is well worth looking at and available on line.  

4.   Committee reports 

       Executive Committee (Sue Searing) 

       The Executive Committee met three times since the last full meeting of the faculty. 

On June 25, 2003 the committee recommended appointments to peer review committees;

discussed upcoming faculty vacancies; reviewed applications for interim head of the Rare Book and Special Collections Library; and decided that the online Committee Handbook should include short-term task forces and working groups, and that the Handbook will be updated as such groups are formed or concluded. 

EC also finalized a letter from the Committee to the Board of Trustees, protesting the pay date change.  That letter, and a reply from Chester Gardner, Vice-President for Academic Affairs, will be posted on the web with the EC minutes.   

       On June 25 EC also discussed the troublesome lack of candidates for Secretary of the Faculty, and recommended that the Nominations, Elections and Voting Procedures Committee return to its former practice of listing everyone's name on the ballot unless they explicitly decline to run. 

       Diane Schmidt, incoming chair of the Strategic Planning Committee, attended the July 14 meeting. The discussion focused on process and outcomes for the planning effort.  EC recommended that the Strategic Planning Committee form small working groups and that the resulting plan be more concise than the previous plan, that a detailed implementation plan be appended to the new strategic plan, and that the implementation plan be reviewed and revised annually. 

At the July 14 meeting, EC also received an update on the budget situation from Paula Kaufman; recommended substitutes on peer committees for faculty members who will be on sabbatical; and made substantial progress on recommending appointments to standing committees for the new year. 

The most recent meeting occurred on August 14. The committee received an update from Paula Kaufman regarding the budget.  They discussed the process the committee will use to review and prioritize all requests for filling vacant faculty positions as well as requests for new positions.  Instructions will be forthcoming. Requests to fill faculty positions should be submitted in the usual manner with the usual justifications, and outstanding requests must be re-submitted, by October 1.  The committee expects to develop guidelines to help set priorities. 

EC approved the search for a visiting project coordinator for the CIC Open Archives Initiative project. They discussed a request from a library committee chair for guidelines about observers at library committee meetings, and decided to defer action until they determine if there are campus guidelines relevant to the issue.  

EC approved the charge and membership for the new Information Technology Advisory Committee, which was recommended by Beth Sandore in her IT assessment report, endorsed by the committee earlier this year. EC recommended emeritus status for Bart Clark. EC agreed with plans presented by the Music Library for reassigning faculty responsibilities to cover user services demands. EC reconsidered the membership of the new Electronic Resources Working Group and decided to add someone from the sciences.

EC recommended peer committee members, and completed recommendations for appointments to standing Library committees. 

       Furthermore, the committee discussed at some length a faculty member's concerns that the involvement of division coordinators in goal-setting with unit heads violates the Library faculty bylaws by giving new responsibilities and authority to coordinators.  The committee laments the confusion that surrounded the goal-setting exercise, and anticipates that clearer instructions and a timeline that syncs with the annual unit report process will improve goal-setting in the future.  Since not all members could attend the last meeting, the bylaws issue remains on the agenda for the next meeting.  

       The next meeting of the Executive Committee, the first for the 2003-04 members, is on Monday August 25.  The members are Lisa German, Richard Griscom, Janis Johnston, Bill Maher, Bill Mischo, Lynne Rudasill, Lynn Wiley, Beth Woodard, and Paula Kaufman, Chair. EC will elect its vice-chair on Monday. 

5.       Other reports 

       Report on grant plans for Brown v. Board of Education Jubilee (Betsy Kruger) 

May 2004 will mark the 50 th anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education decision which outlawed segregation in public schools. The Chancellor has funded a year-long commemoration of the decision, in part by funding eighteen grant projects. The Library received a $20,000 grant. 

On Wednesday, September 10 there will be a reception for Library faculty and staff to discuss the events of the celebration, from 2:00-3:30 pm in the Rare Book Room. The September exhibit will focus on the Plessy v. Ferguson case decided by the Supreme Court in 1896, which sanctioned legal segregation in the U.S. for the next 58 years until it was overturned by the Brown decision. In April 2004 there will be another exhibit focusing on the Brown decision. 

On October 24 the Library Colloquium committee is inviting E.J. Josey, Professor Emeritus at the University of Pittsburgh and founder of the Black Caucus of the American Library Association, to speak. An activist librarian, he served as president of ALA in 1984. Dr. Josey's talk will highlight the impact of Brown v. Board of Education on Libraries. 

In February Paul Finkelman, a legal historian and Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law at the University of Oklahoma will give talk on the subject "Was Brown v. Board a Failure?" Paul is also doing a brown bag luncheon for library faculty and staff; meeting with high school teachers to talk about how to incorporate information about civil rights law into high school curriculums; and will possibly do programs with the Law School and History Department. 

The grant has also funded an upgrade of a subset of MARCette records. All MARCettes that we could locate pertaining to civil rights and African Americans that were not successfully matched in the Mellon/OCLC retrocon project will be cataloged by a GA hired on the Library's Brown grant. There are approximately 300 records. 

We will have a visit by Amos Paul Kennedy, African American printmaker from Alabama, who will do a commissioned work for us. It will be an installation which Amos describes as "confrontational." His posters, postcards and prints can be found in the Rare Book Room. 

The Committee is working with Gin Osler, teacher at Stratton Elementary school on various outreach activities might be possible with Stratton students. 

From February-April 2004 there will be a Brown v. Board exhibit, coordinated with Black History Month and Women's History Month. The Undergraduate Library will have a film screening pertaining to civil rights; and we will put together a variety of research guides and pathfinders in support of other projects on campus. 

6.      Old Business 

       Update on pay date transition (Al Kagan) 

       Al reported that an injunction was filed on June 30 in the State of Illinois Court of Claims to stop the change of pay date and loss of pay. As of today no hearing date has been assigned, but it is hoped that a hearing will take place before the change takes effect.  

7.      New Business 

       CLIR post-doctoral program (Paula Kaufman) 

       Paula reported on an emerging post-doctoral program of the Council on Library and Information Resources called the "Humanities Ph.D. Post-doctoral Fellowship in Libraries Program." It emerged out of a board meeting in which several librarians were talking about the shortage of academic librarians today and the impending shortage being predicted. A provost came forward with the idea involving humanities doctoral students who cannot be placed in academic teaching positions.       

       This gives us an opportunity to identify top-notch scholars who could be mentored and taught to work on the kinds of jobs that bridge libraries and other departments on campus, such as in the area of learning management systems, or in various international areas.

Paula has discussed this briefly with the Executive Committee and has had some conversations with campus administrators. The campus seems very interested in our participating in this project, to turn out scholars who will have some library grounding, and who can work in a variety of areas. 

       The program that CLIR is developing will involve a library school. GSLIS is very interested in providing a common set of core value courses to the participants through LEEP as well as offering Master's degree programs to students who would then have a jump on this program at this develops. Nothing has been developed yet. The Provost has offered to sponsor two post-doctoral fellowships on campus, centered in the Library, for each of the first three years of this program. The planning is in the early stages. 

       Becky Smith asked if there would be a look at social sciences as well. Paula answered that there would be. A program involving the humanities arose first because of the hiring crisis in the humanities. There was a meeting in July that included librarians and provosts or other high-level academic administrators from Bryn Mawr, Dartmouth, Duke, Johns Hopkins, North Carolina State, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, Princeton, Rice, Rochester, Southern California, Virginia and Yale. Others that have expressed interest are Georgetown and the Harry Ransom Center at University of Texas. 

Al Kagan asked if there was a sense of what kind of positions these post-doctoral scholars would go into. Paula replied that possibilities include educational technology, area studies, internationally focused areas, special collections, and archives. 

       Tom Weissinger asked why these people cannot just become librarians. Paula answered that they could. The thinking of the group is that many will not be attracted into librarianship unless they can be shown what a vital profession it is. Outside Illinois there is cynicism about the value of a library degree, particularly among people of an earlier generation that went to library school at a time when the courses were not rigorous or challenging.   

Al Kagan pointed out that Indiana has had experience in doing this and it has not worked out very well. Paula added that a feature of the Indiana program, which was funded by Mellon, was that the participants could not go to library school. Indiana relaxed that as time went on because people were not getting jobs. There is also a very small program at Duke training people to be Latin-American librarians with mixed success. 

       Mary Mallory asked if there is a mechanism for identifying the candidates. Paula replied that candidates will be solicited from Research One universities with doctoral programs in the humanities, and will probably involve the same list and solicitation methods used for the Mellon-funded project that brings doctoral candidates in the humanities to campuses to learn to use archives. That program received ten to eleven times the number of applicants to the number of positions available. The problem will be matching individuals with fellowship opportunities and wading through applications to select high quality candidates. Only people with recent Ph.D.s will be considered. 

       Muhammad al-Faruque commented that the program is especially attractive since the Provost will pay for it, and asked if there will be funds if the Library decides to continue the program. Paula answered that the Provost will fund the program for the first three years. After that it will be up to the Library faculty to decide whether to continue. In October we will talk as a faculty as to whether we want to participate in the program. 

8.      Announcements 

Paula Kaufman announced that the annual State of the Library talk will take place on Tuesday, September 2 in 407 Levis.  A light breakfast will be served at 8:30 and the talk will begin at 9:00. 

       Paula announced that there are two new Division Coordinators.  Paula thanked Barbara Henigman and Nancy O'Brien for their past service. She welcomed Lisa German and Sue Searing and thanked them for agreeing to be Technical Services and Social Sciences Division Coordinators.  

       Paula thanked Janice Pilch for serving as the Faculty Secretary this year and welcomed Jennifer Hain as the new Faculty Secretary. 

       Barbara Ford announced that the Mortenson Distinguished Lecture will take place on September 23 at 4:00 pm in GSLIS, followed by a reception.  The speaker is Jesus Lau, from Mexico, chair of the IFLA Information Literacy Section, who will be on campus on September 22-23 and will work with some faculty and staff regarding information literacy issues.  

Cindy Ingold announced that the Women and Gender Resources Library has moved temporarily to 1 Library.   

Sue Searing announced that next week she will be giving tours of the LIS Library for new faculty and students. 

The GSLIS-Library annual reception will take place on September 3 from 4:00-6:00 pm.  This will also be a welcome reception for John Unsworth, and other librarians in the community will be invited to join us. 

The meeting was adjourned at 3:50 pm.

Janice Pilch
Secretary of the Faculty