Library Committee Handbook

Library Faculty Meeting Agenda Committee

Library Faculty Meeting

Meetings 2014-2015

Meetings 2013-2014

Meetings 2012-2013

Meetings 2011-2012

Meetings 2010-2011

Meetings 2009-2010

Meetings 2008-2009

Meetings 2007-2008

Meetings 2006-2007

Meetings 2005-2006

Meetings 2004-2005

Meetings 2003-2004

Meetings 2002-2003

Meetings 2001-2002

Library Faculty Meeting

 

March 18, 2003
Monsanto Room, ACES Library
3:00 - 4:30 pm 

Paula Kaufman, presiding, called the meeting to order at 3:00 pm and after it was determined that a quorum was present. 

1.  Approval of faculty meeting minutes of February 18, 2003    

The minutes were approved. 

2.      Introduction of Mortenson Center librarians 

     Barbara Ford introduced four Mortenson Center associates: 

Olena Bashun, Vice Director of the Donetsk Regional General Scientific Library, Ukraine
Tatiana Rassokhina, Head of Digital Resources Department at Library of Tula State University, Russia
Stefan Siebert, Head of User Services, University Library, Rostock, Germany
Maira Tungatarova, Head of Marketing Department at National Youth Library, Kazakhstan 

3.      University Librarian's report (Paula Kaufman)  

Paula Kaufman reported that the deans met with the Chancellor and the Provost to discuss the University's approach to the anticipated round of budget cuts. The state has asked the University to put 8% aside. The University system has found 4.25 %. The 2% placed aside by the Library, in case of a mid-year recession, will be part of that money. The 2% comes from all parts of the Library budget including collections.  

     The University's approach is to look at ways to share administrative processes and structures. The deans were given the weekend to come up with a list of ideas of how that might be done, but the preliminary ideas cannot be shared yet. Much of the work done by the divisions on plans for reconfiguration will feed into the Library's plans.  

     Both the Executive Committee and Budget group will work on strategy and approaches in the next week.  EC will develop a list of functions that we might be able to consolidate or share. The Library has also been asked to cooperate with other units on campus about consolidating administrative activities, and the Library has been tentatively paired with GSLIS and the College of Communications for this purpose. 

     The Chancellor has appointed a committee, The Committee on Reorganization of Administrative Services, chaired by the Provost.  Paula Kaufman is one of thirty members of the committee and they will be looking at ways the campus may be able to reduce administrative expenses. They have been given until April 7 to come up with a plan. 

     Pat Allen mentioned a recent newspaper article with a table comparing funds that universities prepared to give back across the state of Illinois. UIUC listed 4.5% and the other universities only listed 1-2%. He asked why UIUC figure is so much higher. Paula Kaufman responded that these decisions were probably made by university administrators and boards of trustees themselves. 

     Paula Watson asked Paula to clarify the process for the hold back scenario.  Paula replied that the process is unclear. She emphasized that The Chancellor and Provost have said repeatedly that they are committed to excellence and will make cuts based on maintaining excellence. They have also stated that faculty will not lose their jobs. 

     Tina Chrzastowski asked about the possibility of staff layoffs, and whether a 60-day notification for a layoff of June 30 would mean that we would have to act soon. Paula replied that it is doubtful that there will be layoffs in this fiscal year because there is not enough time and the governor's plans are unclear. The Campus Personnel Services Office is looking at how layoffs would work this year, just as they did last year. The Provost has assured that the Library will be protected as much as possible, and this does not mean there will not be cuts, but the cuts will probably not be a severe as in other units. 

4.      Committee Reports 

     Executive Committee (Greg Youngen) 

     The Executive Committee met twice since the last Faculty meeting, on February 24 and March 10. 

     At the February 24 meeting EC discussed an academic professional position which was temporary and is not renewable. They discussed filling the position of Associate University Librarian for Planning and Budgeting after Bart Clark's retirement. The primary duties of the position will be reassigned to other AULs, and a new Director of Facilities will be hired, as an academic professional. 

     EC then discussed strategies for the impending budget situation. Paula Kaufman gave an overview of how other libraries are dealing with budget cuts, to provide a basis for guidelines that the Library will set. EC then discussed a CLIR proposal for support of post-doctoral positions. The Provost has committed $90,000 a year for two positions for three years, beginning in summer 2004, for people in humanities disciplines wishing to pursue library-related positions, and the Library needs to decide whether it wishes to support the program. EC also began the process for the annual evaluation of the University Librarian. 

     At the March 10 meeting, Karen Schmidt and Beth Sandore visited the committee to discuss electronic resources workflow and staffing issues.  They have submitted a proposal for an e-resources working group, and EC has recommendations for this committee.  

The committee discussed the question of how the Provost's office determined that the Library would be grouped with GSLIS and the College of Communications.  Paula Kaufman said the groupings were arbitrary.  

At the next meeting the committee will discuss the draft of the final vision statement that has been posted on the web, and will also discuss post-tenure review at the next meeting. 

     The next topic concerned e-mail etiquette because a faculty member was concerned that confidential information in e-mails was being forwarded to others and blind copies were being used.  The committee determined that it could not mandate a policy for e-mail. 

     The committee discussed revisions in the International Strategy document to make final changes.  An ACES faculty position request was brought to the Committee. EC determined that due to the lack of funds the Committee could not place this position on the priority list. The committee approved a new charge and membership for the User Education Committee. The committee had a brief discussion of budget planning for collections. The Strategic Planning Committee nominated Diane Schmidt to be the next chair and EC approved the nomination.  

5.      Other Reports 

     Questions on the U.S. Patriot Act (Stephen Anderson, Associate University Counsel) 

     Stephen Anderson stated that he was prepared to questions on the U.S. Patriot Act. 

     Becky Smith asked how many incidents have there been on campus. Mr. Anderson replied that the number is minimal. Most incidents involve other kinds of law enforcement for activity like hacking, misuse of computers, etc. There is a policy in place for providing front-line assistance to law enforcement. Usually law enforcement officers contact the Office of the  University Counsel first and do not show up unannounced. 

     Beth Sandore asked to what degree we would have to comply with a request for back-up information on a computer and whether law enforcement can order us to extract information for them. If they are not familiar with our equipment, can they ask us to do it for them while they watch? Mr. Anderson replied that usually requests are of the opposite type and generally they do not want everything.  A search warrant is usually specific about the information requested. Also, CITES staff can help with an extraction. Beth asked how much time a unit is expected to devote if, for example, information is on the desktop. Mr. Anderson answered that it depends on what they are looking for. 

     Melody Allison asked about the implications of a gag order--whether a person on the front-line should move to an area where they cannot be heard, and how they should take care of not talking about the case. Mr. Anderson replied that it is always a good idea to go to an area away from others to keep them from becoming alarmed. Only the people who need to know should be informed about the incident, information should be kept confidential, but one can expect to discuss the incident with the campus administration. 

     Betsy Kruger asked whether there is anything in the Act mandating that we maintain information that we do not normally keep, and whether there is any potential for the Act to mandate libraries to start keeping information they do not normally keep. For example, could they place a device on the system? Mr. Anderson replied that usually the agency would get an order to put a device on the system to get the information they want. 

     Stephanie Atkins commented that there appears to be conflicting information on whether law enforcement officers needs to have documentation on them.  If an officer says he has a warrant, but does not physically have it on him, what should we do? Mr. Anderson replied that the documentation is generally required, but if there is a question you should contact a Library administrator or University Counsel. 

     Sharon Clark asked about the likelihood of being contacted during weekends or evenings, and  what students should be advised to do.  Mr. Anderson replied that they should contact the Library duty officer or the shift supervisor of the campus police.  There is a good system in place for handling these things. 

     Paula Kaufman added that there is currently a bill in Congress proposing to exempt libraries and bookstores from having to turn over confidential patron information. Also, there is information on the web concerning the alleged U.S. Patriot Act II that is being formed. The Chronicle of Higher Education is doing a package of articles on the Patriot Act, for which Paula and others on campus have been interviewed, and it should come out in April. 

     Information Literacy Update (Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe)  

     Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe delivered a report on work conducted to assess and promote information literacy on campus. An outline of her Powerpoint presentation is posted on the library faculty meeting website as a supplementary document to the minutes of this meeting.  

     Beth Woodard asked about other campus initiatives for undergraduate research. Lisa replied that there are many initiatives on campus but they are not always formalized.  Lisa plans to follow-up with a campus project that is looking at Capstone courses in certain majors as a Capstone research project experience. The difficulty is in identifying these programs, as there is not a list of them anywhere. 

     Pat Allen asked about the about the Discovery courses on campus. Lisa answered that the Discovery courses are everywhere on campus. They are general courses, taken in the first year, and are offered in individual departments.  There is not a common theme across all Discovery courses and they are not necessarily research-based. 

     Cindy Ingold asked if there is there a requirement that students take a certain number of diversity enhanced credits. Lisa answered that she believes there is a multi-cultural requirement, and referred to Dana Wright. Dana stated that there is a non-western comparative studies requirement and a U.S. minority culture requirement. They include courses which are not traditional or frequently taught by faculty, and they are scattered across the curriculum. 

     Lisa added that with the exception of the first year writing course, there is very little a student is required to do at any particular point in time with general education.  You cannot count on a 100-level course having all freshmen in it. 

     Paul Callister asked for a definition of curriculum mapping and about what is done in the curriculum mapping workshop. Lisa replied that it is about looking at the structure of the curriculum and the order in which students go through the curriculum. The goal is to identify, in a given program of study, the gateway courses that all majors or minors will flow through, and to get into those courses. The second step is to take a set of information literacy guidelines you prefer- the User Ed Committee has two recommendations, but some disciplines have their own-and find gateway courses and get into them, and then expand into  other courses from that. It is about getting into courses and evening out the curriculum integration. 

     Janis Johnston commented on the impressive work that Lisa has accomplished in the past nine months. 

6.      Old business 

     There was no old business. 

7.  New business    

     Bob Burger announced that Karen Schmidt has been to several divisions and at those division meetings there have been requests that he and Beth Sandore also visit the divisions. He said that he will be happy to schedule such meetings. If there is some urgency, issues can be addressed in open forum at the next faculty meeting. 

     Lyn Jones announced that last week she and Paula Kaufman did a session on the Library Campaign, and she urged faculty to drop by or send an e-mail and allow the Development Office to send Library Friend brochures to be placed at reference desks or anywhere a patron might see them. 

8.  Announcements    

     Becky Smith announced that The College of Business has finished its feasibility study of the new building and now they are seeking donors. If donors are found, the building will be moved up on the state's capital program.  The old tennis courts will be made into a parking lot. 

     Lynne Rudasill mentioned that at the Senate meeting yesterday a resolution was passed concerning scholarly communication. She thanked Paula Kaufman for supporting the resolution. 

     Paula Kaufman added that the Senate also has a resolution pointing out the potential slippage in our rankings, and hopefully aimed at gaining more support and protection for the Library. 

Becky Smith motioned for the meeting to be adjourned, and Lynne Rudasill seconded the motion.  The meeting was adjourned at 4:15 pm.

Janice Pilch
Secretary of the Faculty