Library Committee Handbook

Library Faculty Meeting Agenda Committee

Library Faculty Meeting

Meetings 2013-2014

Meetings 2012-2013

Meetings 2011-2012

Meetings 2010-2011

Meetings 2009-2010

Meetings 2008-2009

Meetings 2007-2008

Meetings 2006-2007

Meetings 2005-2006

Meetings 2004-2005

Meetings 2003-2004

Meetings 2002-2003

Meetings 2001-2002

Library Faculty Meeting

 

Tuesday, October 15, 2002
3:00-4:30 pm
Grainger Commons
(refreshments at 2:30)

Sue Searing, presiding, called the meeting to order at 3:00 pm after it was determined that a quorum was present.       

1.      Approval of faculty meeting minutes of September 17, 2002

The minutes were accepted by acclamation.    

2.      Introductions of New Librarians

  The following new faculty members were introduced:

Joseph Straw, Associate Reference Librarian for Instruction (introduced by Beth Woodard)

Dana Wright, Assistant Undergraduate Librarian for Diversity Services (introduced by Joyce Wright)

Cynthia Shirkey, Assistant Undergraduate Librarian for Instruction (introduced by Joyce Wright)

Ann Ribstein, Reference Librarian, Law Library (introduced by Janis Johnston)

Phill Johnson, Reference Librarian, Law Library (introduced by Janis Johnston)

3.      Committee reports

Executive Committee (Richard Griscom)

The Executive Committee report was delivered after the report on preservation of archival film.

Richard Griscom reported that the Executive Committee met twice since the last faculty meeting. On September 23, the meeting opened with the traditional question and answer period on the status of past business or current topics.

Paula Kaufman reported that she had received no nominations as a result of her call for possible recipients of honorary degrees, so none were forwarded to the Provost.

There was a question about the status of several recruitment programs during this lean budget year.  The Target of Opportunity and Dual Career Spousal Hires programs will continue, but the Faculty Excellence program has been suspended.

Paula Kaufman reported on the status of several searches. The Mortenson appointment was approved and forwarded to the Provost.  At the time of the meeting, she was awaiting action by FRC and PTA on the South Asian Studies and the Middle East Studies positions.  She reported that Miranda Remnek has accepted the position of head of the Slavic Library and will begin in January.

In response to a question about the retrospective conversion project being conducted under the Mellon Grant, Paula explained that the conversion will be based on machine matching against OCLC records and that OCLC will be contracted to do the work.  Any funds left over will go toward working on the records that are not picked up through the machine match.

The committee then moved on to business of the day.  Paula Kaufman presented her proposal to appoint a half-time training coordinator. The coordinator would look not only at training needs related to technology but also at more traditional and fundamental needs, such as new employee orientation and supervisory training. Paula proposed that Beth Woodard serve temporarily in the position, which eventually will be made permanent and involve a formal search.  Beth and Bob Burger will prepare the job description.

The committee reviewed a proposal written by Bart Clark on the distribution of the Indirect Costs Recovery money associated with grants.  The proposal takes any liens against the money off the top.The remainder is divided three ways: 60% goes to administrative expenses, 22% goes to seed money for future projects, and 10% goes to the principal investigator of the grant to use as needed for travel expenses or conferences.  The committee will revisit this proposal at a future meeting.

The sole topic of the October 9th meeting was Jo Kibbee's request that the two recent half-time vacancies in Reference be filled by a single, tenure-track position with the title Assistant Reference Librarian for Digital Services.  This newly defined position recognizes the growing importance of electronic resources and services and will involve chat reference services and access to digital reference sources, as well as traditional reference responsibilities. EC approved the position, but during the discussion realized that many issues being addressed by the reference department are confronting other service units as well, and agreed that time should be set aside at a future meeting to discuss how the library system as a whole is dealing with electronic resources--not only acquiring them and maintaining license agreements, but also providing good user access and instruction.

Maria Porta commented that the topic of electronic resources is an important one for the library and that perhaps we should also discuss this at a faculty meeting, to take a wide view and consider each unit's needs, to handle this in a less haphazard way. Dick Griscom replied that EC recognizes the need for greater coordination in this area, and he will bring Maria's comments to the committee.

Research and Publication Committee (Katie Clark and Kathleen Kluegel)

Katie Clark, Chair of the RPC, delivered her section of the report and also read Kathleen Kluegel's written report.

For the benefit of new faculty members, Katie highlighted the role of the Research and Publication Committee in providing support for research.  The RPC website at < http://www.library.uiuc.edu/committee/rpc/> contains the necessary forms for applying for research funds from the RPC, as well as policies and deadlines, and a list of applications that have been funded during the past several years.

The RPC will no longer be able to fund graduate assistantships, and all references to this have been deleted from application information. No graduate assistantships have been awarded for at least the past three to four years, and when the committee received a request this year, it became apparent that if graduate assistantships were funded, RPC would quickly deplete its funds. In consultation with Bart Clark, it was decided that the RPC would no longer consider applications for graduate assistantships.  If money is needed for a GA, RPC recommends applying for funds from the Campus Research Board, and if a GA is needed to perform work, applying for funding from the UIUC Library Budget Group.  The RPC will continue to fund hourly graduate and undergraduate assistance.

Katie Clark then read Kathleen Kluegel's report concerning research and integrity policies, explaining that the Annual Message On Research Integrity Policies of September 11, 2002 from Charles F. Zukoski, Vice Chancellor for Research, prompted the RPC to revise and expand the information on the RPC website about Campus rules governing research. RPC updated the website to provide links to the Institutional Review Board: < http://www.irb.uiuc.edu/ >.

The IRB website has links to: 

 IRB Handbook for Investigators--<http://www.irb.uiuc.edu/hbcontents.html>

  IRB Special Considerations for Survey Research-- <http://www.irb.uiuc.edu/survey.htm>

  IRB Informed Consent Guidelines and Checklist--<http://www.irb.uiuc.edu/chklist.htm>

  UIUC Academic Staff Handbook: Policies on Academic Integrity--<http://webster.uihr.uiuc.edu/ahrhandbook/chap5/academic_integrity.html>

  UIUC Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research: Policy and Procedures on

Academic Integrity--< http://www.research.uiuc.edu/ai/index.asp>

 Particular attention was called to one area of the RPC page on Policies for Award Approval at < http://www.library.uiuc.edu/committee/rpc/rpcpol.html >, to the section on "Use of Human Subjects." The section states that a proposal for research that involves human subjects will be considered only after review by the UIUC Institutional Review Board. Such projects include research that uses surveys, questionnaires, focus groups, interviews, etc. While most projects will be exempt from a full review by the IRB, all projects involving human subjects will need to be sent to the IRB for that determination. This does not represent a change of practice of RPC, but a change of emphasis. Now RPC requires the approval form from IRB before it is able to consider the application. So if there are other humans involved in one's research, one should refer to the IRB website for information on how to proceed. In any research project, Campus rules, policies, and procedures provide the framework within which research is conducted.

Maria Porta asked where to draw the line on human-based research, for example, whether library questionnaires to patrons considered human research. Katie advised that the IRB website contains this information

Sue Searing added that it is possible to call the IRB. Nuala Bennett commented that a recent request was answered in only one week. Jane Block added that people who need graduate assistants can still go the Campus Research Board for funding.

Cataloging Policy Committee (Jenny Johnson)

Jenny Johnson reported on the recent changes in the charge and composition of the newly reorganized CPC. In the past five and a half years, the committee responsible for coordinating, formulating, and communicating cataloging policies has had three forms: the Cataloging Policy Advisory Committee; the Cataloging Policy Committee; and the Cataloging Policy Committee, revised edition.  In that time the Library also has migrated twice to new integrated online library systems. 

 The newest charge is more streamlined than the other two, but all three have handled cataloging and classification policy, communication, and training.  The committee is no longer responsible for implementing procedures, standardizing activities, suggesting work flows, or determining the Library's stance on cataloging issues for state- or national-level standards work.  The committee is smaller than it was in 1997, going from divisional representation, which was necessary when cataloging responsibilities were distributed throughout the Library and the Library had a principal cataloger as its cataloging policy node, to representation by format expertise, and now, slightly larger again, to representation of units that are working directly with OCLC through the CatME interface. 

In 2001, prior to the 2001-2002 Voyager push, CPC discussed implications of a new OCLC pricing structure, the move away from OCLC Passport to OCLC CatME, communication and implementation of cataloging and classification policies, use of alternative subject thesauri for specialized materials, creation of an inventory of cataloging tool usage and needs, and serial vs. "cat as sep." cataloging. 

Near the end of last year, CPC expanded to include representatives from all OCLC cataloging units, thus creating the Voyager Cataloging Implementation Team that focused its attention on the migration from DRA to Voyager with activities involving record migration, definition of "happening locations" and cataloging profiles, and training.  After the Voyager implementation, this group continued its conversations until late this past summer, with attention devoted to understanding and remedying display problems in the public catalog. The recent serials forum presented by Michael Norman and Barbara Henigman was an outgrowth of the final implementation team discussions. 

For 2002-2003, while CPC will continue to discuss changes in cataloging rules and interpretations as documented in the quarterly Cataloging Service Bulletin, and will work on representing withdrawn items in the catalog, literary subdivisions for literature from Central Asia, a trial of the Library of Congress's Classification Web service, and updating the committee's web site.  There may also be other forums similar to the serials forum, including a potential forum on "Reading Records through View Only."  The agenda item for the year of the largest magnitude is CPC's partnering with other Library committees or task forces to move forward the provision of coherent access, that is, access in all of its possible permutations to electronic resources through an analysis of our current situation, a careful consideration of issues and available options, and an understanding that this may be an iterative process. 

The chair of CPC welcomes questions regarding cataloging policy.  Questions about workflows and the outcomes of workflows should be directed to the appropriate processing units. Committee members and their areas of expertise include: Richard Burbank (Music), Kevin Butterfield (Law), David Griffiths (Government Documents), Barb Henigman (Monographs), Jenny Marie Johnson (Cartographic Materials), Barbara Jones (Rare Books), Mary Laskowski (Media), Michael Norman (Serials), Marek Sroka (Slavic and East European), Karen Wei (Asian). 

The CPC web site is at <http://www.library.uiuc.edu/techserv/Cpac/cpacmain.htm>.

4.      Other reports

  This report was given before the reports by the Executive Committee, Research and Publication Committee, and Cataloging Policy Committee.

 Preservation of archival film: screening of two restored film clips (Bill Maher and Karen Schmidt)

 Bill Maher reported that he was following a suggestion by Karen Schmidt to bring to the faculty's attention the work being done by the University Archives to protect some of the older photographic material with funds from the Library Friends and an NEH Challenge Grant. Efforts have focused on nitrate negatives and cellulose diacetate negatives because they deteriorate very quickly and, in the case of nitrates, are hazardous to humans and to the rest of the collection. Last year the Archives realized that it had tree or four nitrate negative films. NEH Challenge Grant funds were used to have them processed by a laboratory in Pennsylvania.

Two historically significant silent films were shown in their entirety. The first was a film of a 1924 football game, Illiniois vs. Iowa, featuring famed Illini football hero Red Grange. It is the earliest football game preserved on film owned by the University Archives, with a running time of approximately 3 minutes. The second film shows the construction of the Illini Union over a period of time, historically valuable because the Illini Union was the first building for which UIUC received financing from the federal government. It is also interesting for its depiction of the mechanization of the construction process. Running time of the film was approximately 5 minutes.

After the films were shown, there were several questions. Bill explained that the Archives believes it has taken care of all the nitrate negative film. There are other films, numbering approximately 2,000, created into the 1980s that are susceptible to deterioration, but for the time being they are being preserved by means of proper storage. When the Archives receives requests for copies of film, the film is transferred to videotape for each requested use. The video is a temporary medium for access rather than a durable replacement, but serves the needs of people needing copies. At one time there was a film center which handled copying and loaning of film, but the University eliminated the center about nine years ago, and the Archives now handles these requests on its own. One challenge for the Archives is maintaining the quality of film, as it tends to shrink with age, and that explains the quality in some of the older films like the ones that were just viewed. 

5.       New business

 There was no new business.

6.       Announcements

 Sue Searing reported that the mail ballot to replace Robert's Rules of Order with Alice Sturgis, The Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure, passed. A copy of Sturgis has been ordered for reserve use in the LIS Library.

Michael Norman announced that the second session of the Serials Forum will be held on Thursday, October 17, from 1:30-3:30 pm in Grainger Commons. No date has been set for the Analytics Forum, but it will probably be held in the second week of November.

Lisa Hinchliffe announced that the first Teaching Alliance event will be held on Friday, October 18. Its focus will be on teaching and training undergraduates.

Lisa German announced that Tiffany Tsou and Susan Edwards have added the encumbrances for this year on III, and asked faculty members to thank them if they have a chance.

Kathleen Kern motioned to adjourn the meeting, and Gail Hueting seconded the motion.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:50 pm.

Janice Pilch
Secretary of the Faculty