Position Request Form
Aproved by the Executive Committee, June 7, 2006
1. In the case of planned absences (e.g sabbaticals), arrangements to ensure appropriate coverage will be initiated by the permanent incumbent. She/he will discuss proposed arrangements with his/her unit head, his/her division coordinator, and the AUL for Services or University Librarian (in that order, as applicable). The University Librarian will notify the Executive Committee of the final arrangements to be implemented and any acting appointments to be made. (See also Library's Sabbatical Leaves of Absence Policies and Procedures for additional procedures to be followed when arranging coverage of sabbatical leaves of absences.) Appointees normally will be provided the title “Acting.” Salary stipends will not be provided for sabbatical replacements except in extraordinary situations.
2. In the case of unplanned absences, arrangements to insure coverage will be initiated by the next higher reporting level; e.g., unit head, division coordinator, or University Librarian. Proposed arrangements will be reviewed as described above. The University Librarian will notify the Executive Committee and the Administrative Council of the final arrangements to be implemented and any acting appointments to be made. Appointees normally will be provided the title “Interim.” Salary stipends will be provided.
3. Untenured librarians may serve in an acting capacity. The scope of acting appointments may be reduced for duration of the appointment. Some tasks associated with the position may be delegated temporarily to other Library personnel.
4. The expected duration and terms of the acting appointment will be explicitly defined prior to appointment.
5. The University Librarian, acting with the advice of the Executive Committee, retains final authority over acting academic appointments within the Library.