Library Committee Handbook

Executive Committee



Executive Committee Minutes 11-25-2013

Executive Committee

 

MINUTES

November 25, 2013

1:30-3:00pm

428 Library

 
Present: John Wilkin, chair; Bill Mischo, vice-chair; John Wagstaff, secretary, Tim Cole, Mary Laskowski, Nancy O’Brien, Carissa Phillips, Chris Prom; Visitors – Harriett Green, Beth Namachchivaya, Sue Searing, Sarah Williams, Beth Woodard; Recording – Kim Matherly
 
1.                   1:30-1:45-Beth Woodard-search update
Beth updated us on where we are on the positions. Every position on the last hiring plan is currently in progress or is already finished.
 
EC discussed timelines for searches, especially in regards to grant-funded positions.
 
Beth was asked whether it is possible to use “open until filled” as a search end date. It is not; a specific date must be entered into the HireTouch system. However, at the direction of the Search Committee, the position announcement can be left open on the Jobs at Illinois Website and the Search Committee may continue to consider applications submitted after the "search end date" up until the position is filled – assuming that the search end date entered in the system is prefaced in the position announcement with the appropriate language, e.g., "In order to ensure maximum consideration, applications and nominations should be received by ..."
 
2.                  2:00-2:30-Beth Namachchivaya, Sarah Williams and Harriett Green - trends that they see in the area of EResearch particularly in the Humanities
There is a growing need on campus for help with digital humanities projects. Some people need assistance with textual and image data; some already have data that needs to be  curated; others have different needs. Right now part of Harriett’s work is working with small-scale, “boutique” projects. Humanities data comes in a variety of forms, not necessarily quantitative data but also   images, audio, video, web-sites, html, and back-end data. Harriett has worked with projects including the Sephardic Jews archive and the Bracero Archives, which contain images and audio files.
 
Subject specialists are the best way to let faculty know about the digital humanities services that the University Library can  provide. On the other hand, we also need to make clear to patrons with data projects exactly what we can, and cannot, provide.
 
There was also discussion around different platforms and programs that are being used to generate and store data.
 
 
3.                  2:30-2:45 – Sue Searing – NSM update
Sue will be meeting with Bill Maher and Jeff Schrader to start to move forward on repurposing 146 Library.
 
John Wilkin is meeting with some faculty from History to talk about their vision regarding a head of HPNL.
 
A position request has been submitted as a result of the NSM planning exercise for the Illinois History and Lincoln Collections.
 
4.                  Question Time
EC discussed the Meta Data Librarian position.
 
EC discussed personnel issues in regard to supervisory responsibilities of Faculty/AP positions. It was suggested that this be added to a future iteration of the Position Request Form.
 
It was also suggested there be standardized language in the research component of the Position Request form. Chris Prom will email some language to EC for future discussion.
 
EC is sending the Privacy Policy back to Mary Laskowski and Lynne Rudasill, with suggestions.
 
5.                  Positions for Hiring Plan
These will be reviewed at a later meeting.
 
6.                  Faculty Position Checklist
This will be discussed at a later meeting.
 
7.                  Law MOU
This will be discussed at a later meeting.
 
8.                  Approve Minutes from November 4 & 11 – do this by email
These were approved, with changes, through email.
 
9.                  Agenda items for next meeting with AULs – do this by email

a.      Priorities in general

This was approved through email.


10.               Patron Policy Working Group Charge – do this by email
This was approved through email.
 
11.                Candidate and PRC Expectations-Draft – do this by email

This statement was approved through email and discussion at the meeting. The document will be posted to the FRC website.