Library Committee Handbook

Executive Committee



Executive Committee Minutes 10-01-2012

Executive Committee

 

MINUTES

October 1, 2012

12:00-3:00pm

428 Library

 

 

Present: Paula Kaufman, chair; Chris Prom, vice-chair; Sara Shreeves, secretary; Mary Laskowski, Nancy O’Brien, Carissa Phillips, Lynne Rudasill, John Wagstaff, David Ward; Visitors – Beth Sandore, Sue Searing, Tom Teper; Recording-Kim Matherly
 
1.                 1:30 – AULs

a.     Coordinator/Head DocumentThis document doesn’t distinguish very well between Library AP coordinators and faculty coordinators; a link to the standard titles for APs will be added. The purpose of the document is for faculty only. The document will be posted to the EC standard policies web site.
 
Strategic initiatives – how do they fit in with the annual report?
Units do not have to structure their annual reports around the strategic initiatives, but if a unit is contributing to an initiative, that should be specified.
 
David sent out the strategic plan document. October will be spent getting input and ideas for additional programs in the list
 
c.     Digitization processes
Prompted by the Innovation Fund proposals, there was a discussion about how digitization, metadata, and access processes were working and how will digital content can be accessed. It was noted that the Library is making up for a long time deficit in staffing and support in this area and that there is work to improve and streamline these processes.
 
2.                 Approve minutes from September 24
 Approved with changes.
 
3.                 Question Time
Are there plans for more computer classrooms to enable subject specialists to do instruction? There’s only so much room in the Library for classrooms. Schedulers will only schedule 314 for non-class meetings, one week in advance.
 
Those working on the 146/220 space plans should think about the need for a computer classroom in those spaces. We will send the email address out to Libnews for scheduling rooms on campus not controlled by the Library. fms-reserve@uiuc.edu 
EC discussed two personnel issue.
 
4.                 Curator of Rare Books and Manuscripts position
EC received an updated position description and approved it.
 
5.                 Review of Innovation Fund proposals
EC received two Innovation Fund Proposals: Increasing Library Contributions to the HathiTrust, and Graduate Hourly Support to Build out a Web Harvesting Service. EC approved both proposals. The full proposals will be added to the EC Innovation Fund site in the near future.
 
6.                 Colloquium Committee
The Colloquium Committee will be disbanded. If faculty have opportunities to invite speakers they should send the requests to EC.
 
7.                 Title Changes
All titles changes have been approved with changes.
 
8.                 History –Head- temporary, permanent?
EC discusses the pros and cons of advertising the History Librarian position as a unit head or not, given the ongoing discussions of the Humanities Hub Planning Team. The Arts and Humanities Division will meet tomorrow to discuss this and send their recommendation to EC. EC will add this to the agenda for the next meeting.
 
9.                 Search Procedure Manual

John and Nancy will do some editing for consistency by the 10/8 EC meeting.