Library Committee Handbook

Executive Committee



Executive Committee Minutes 09-10-2012

Executive Committee

 

MINUTES

September 10, 2012

1:30-3:00pm

428 Library

 

Present: Paula Kaufman, chair; Chris Prom, vice chair; Sarah Shreeves, secretary and recording; Mary Laskowski, Nancy O’Brien, Carissa Phillips, Lynne Rudasill, John Wagstaff, David Ward; Visitor – Jennifer Teper

 

 

  1. 1.                  Approve minutes from September 5

Approved with changes.

 

  1. 2.                 Question Time

Paula updated EC on next steps for the overhaul of the AUL review process. It was decided that we would not pursue the plan proposed by Scott Gill (RTG). Academic Human Resources does not have a template or process for this type of review.  The AULs will come back to EC with a new proposal.


The group that is looking at the proposals for 146 is proceeding, but timing will be dependent on when 146 will be empty of collections and staff, as that area is used as a staging space as the north SSHEL space is renovated. The Humanities NSM team will be considering the 220 space. That space will not be emptied until a number of other spaces are completed including Oak Street 3rd floor and Room 1. It was noted that the Library will want to ensure that at least one AUL is involved and active in the planning process in order to have a consistent presence as a new UL starts and EC turns over.

 

EC will continue to meet as needed with Rod or his designate about the budget (generally around the hiring plan or as we receive our budget). It was suggested that we might also want to schedule as needed meetings with Facilities as well.

 

Paula will issue a call for position requests due in early November for the February hiring plan.

 

Innovation proposals are due on September 14th.

 

It was noted that the doors into the Undergraduate Library on the pavilion are very heavy and that many students and others have been observed struggling to open them. These have had crash bars installed on them and are heavier. UGL is aware of the problem and has talked to facilities about it.

 

  1. 3.                 Discussion of FRC and PTAC policies (Jennifer Teper guest)

Jennifer Teper and Mary Laskowski presented two documents:

 

The document “University Library Guidelines for Requesting Appointment with Tenure and Rank of Associate Professor or Professor” was approved with changes.

 

The document “General Process for Candidates Seeking Promotion to Full Professor” was approved with changes.

 

These documents will be presented at the Sept 19 faculty meeting.

 

EC will schedule a meeting with Jennifer, Mary, and David to discuss proposed changes in the faculty review process.

 

  1. 4.           Title Changes

The document “Head, Coordinator, Assistant Job Title Definitions and Use” last discussed at the July 23 meeting was revised. This will be sent to the Library Faculty for comment.

 

EC reviewed requests for title changes and made some revisions. Chris Prom will notify the appropriate faculty.

 

EC encourages faculty members to review their current NOA and request changes as appropriate, particularly if the title is out of date.

 

  1. 5.           Review of Parking Lot Items

EC reviewed the items on their parking lot:

 

-         Policy on redacting individual names and other personal information on publicly posted documents on the EC website

-         Research oversight discussion

-         P&T documents

-         Discussion regarding role of EC in orienting new UL to EC role and shared governance

-         Discussion of document: Career Advancement for Non-Tenure Track Teaching faculty (Engineering)

-         Further review of Search Procedures Manual

-         NCSU fellows program

 

 

09/12/2012 – Requested revisions to position description for the Curator of Special Collections