Library Committee Handbook

Executive Committee



Executive Committee Agenda 11-14-2011

Executive Committee

 

MINUTES

November 14, 2011

12:00-3:00pm

428 Library

 

Present: Paula Kaufman, chair; David Ward, vice-chair; Beth Woodard, Secretary; Paula Carns, JoAnn Jacoby, Chris, Prom, Lynne Rudasill, Sarah Shreeves, Greg Youngen; Visitors – Mary Laskowski

 

  1. 1.                 Approve minutes from October 21

Approved with changes.

 

  1. 2.                 Question Time

Could we encourage more civility on Libnews? Cindy Kelly is addressing some of the most current issues.

 

Why is the GA request deadline so early this year? GSLIS has moved their calendar back for admittance and needs to know how many assistantships we will have. Also, the Provost’s office is asking that the units submit their hiring plans earlier this year, than in the past.

 

EC seems to be more engaged in developing the search descriptions than they have in the past. What role does EC wish to take? EC wants to make sure that what it envisioned when the job request was made is what is listed in the job description. In giving final approval for job descriptions, EC will make sure to have a 48 hour turnaround, so the search committee is not held up. EC will continue to meet with search chairs to help them understand EC’s vision for each job description.

 

Search Committees should also be encouraged to identify possible TOP hires. Paula K. will talk about the criteria for identifying TOP hires, at the next faculty meeting.

 

  1. 3.                 Discuss topics for next AUL/EC meeting (11/28)

 

  1. 4.                 Faculty meeting agenda

 

  1. 5.                 Hiring Plan/Process

Mid-February is the next date for submitting the Library’s hiring plan. Paula K. will put out a call for positions with a deadline of January 3. If a position was previously submitted and approved, it does not need to be submitted again.

 

  1. 6.                 Proposal for a Search Committee Pool (David Ward and JoAnn

Jacoby)

The proposal was discussed and recommendations made. David will update the proposal with the suggested changes and it will be discussed at the November 16 faculty meeting.

 

  1. 7.                 Tenure evaluation proposed changes (FRC)

This document will be sent to the Division Task Force and Subject Specialist Task Forces for discussion.

 

  1. 8.                 Zero time appointment (Greg Youngen)

EC approved this appointment and Paula K. will submit the paper work.

 

  1. 9.                 Title Change requests

Cindy Kelly will check to see if we are allowed to make these changes. If so, Library faculty appointments will be 100% Full, Associate or Assistant Professor of Library Administration and a 0% appointment with a descriptive title. Cindy will be asked to compile a list of titles for faculty in the Library. The final decision on job titles resides with the University Librarian, who may seek advice from EC. Title changes can be requested by individuals, but should be accompanied by a current job description.

 

10.Awards and Recognitions Task Force (Beth Woodard)

EC approved a charge for this Task Force. Paula K. will contact individuals to serve.

 

  1. 11.             Map and Geography Name Change

EC will wait for Jenny Johnson to submit a proposal.

 

  1. 12.            User Ed Committee Charge

As part of the committee reviews, EC will ask Lisa Hinchliffe to come to a meeting to discuss User Ed’s charge.

 

  1. 13.            Annual Faculty Review (Communication 21)

Lynne will work draft a policy regarding Broader Faculty Review.

 

  1. 14.            Annual Review Process – FRC Proposal

Beth and Paula C. will work on a proposal regarding operational goals.