Library Committee Handbook

Executive Committee



Executive Committee Minutes 08-24-2011

Executive Committee

 

MINUTES

August 24, 2011

1:30-3:00pm

428 Library

 

Present: Paula Kaufman, chair; David Ward, Vice-chair; Beth Woodard, Secretary; Paula Carns, JoAnn Jacoby, Lynne Rudasill, Sarah Shreeves, Greg Youngen; Recording – Kim Matherly

 

  1. 1.                  Approve minutes from August 8

Minutes were approved with a motion by David Ward, seconded by Sarah Shreeves, and one abstention.

 

  1. 2.          EC Vice Chair and Secretary

David Ward was re-elected Vice Chair and Beth Woodard was elected Secretary.

 

  1. 3.                 Question Time

Although Karen Hogenboom is no longer on EC, she will continue to work with Paula Carns on the search procedures. Beth Woodard will join them.

 

Now that we have a head of SHEL, EC needs to finalize membership for the Implementation Team. JoAnn will send out the draft and discussion will be added to the next EC meeting.

 

The Area Studies Division will be discussing the Latin American and Caribbean position tomorrow. They will then recommend names of people for the search committee.

 

EC will review a draft of the position posting for the Visiting South Asian Librarian.

 

The chancellor-designate met with the deans on Monday. Paula was not at the meeting because she was speaking at Marquette. She was back in time for the Reception for New Faculty & Staff. Several things arose out of both of those meetings. The meeting with the Deans was very good. They felt positive about their interactions. Apparently, Phyllis Wise intends to launch a search for the new provost quickly. The deans are feeling very upbeat.

 

Paula continues to work to get President Hogan’s approval to participate in the Orphan Works initiative. The Interim Chancellor, the Chancellor-designate, and the Interim Provost have all approved, as have UIC’s provost and chancellor.

 

Communication #7 has been revised to reflect changes in The Targets of Opportunity Program. Although the previous process is still available, campus is stressing the new protocol, which works through the established search process.

 

The financial incentives of the search process are better than through the former process.

 

While the Provost at University of Washington, Chancellor-designate Wise, launched a planning process for their Strategic Plan that looked two years out and then 20 years out. She indicated to the deans that she will be using a similar approach here. The work we’ve been doing on the strategic plan might fit nicely into this short-term plan.

 

The Library’s Strategic Planning Task Force met recently and decided to have three open meetings in October to give people a chance to comment on the plan. An open meeting for Library faculty and staff will be held on October 11 in 66 Library from 2:00-3:00pm. The October 19 meeting for campus faculty will be from 9:00-10:00am in 126 GSLIS, and the meeting on October 27 for students will be held in 314A Illini Union from 10:30-11:30am.

 

The Task Force is hoping to have the second draft ready for review by November and the final report done by winter break.

 

  1. 4.                 Reviewers for P&T Case

Reviewers were suggested and letters will be sent.

 

  1. 5.           Charge Search Committees

EC discussed the search committees that have been charged and Scott Walter will meet with EC next week to discuss when Library HR will be ready to begin the next searches.

 

  1. 6.                 Vet Med Library NSM Charge

The Library will work in parallel with the space planning group in Vet Med. The charge for a group to plan the new space and services will be posted on the EC website for comment; once EC receives comments back on the charge, membership for the committee will be suggested.

 

  1. 7.                 Proposal to split the Scholarly Commons Coordinator appointment

It was proposed that the Scholarly Commons Coordinator position be a 50% time position and that Sarah Shreeves and Merinda Hensley split the position. EC approved this change in assignments.

 

  1. 8.                New Name for Maps

Jenny Johnson proposed a new name for the Map & Geography Library, since Geography materials have been moved to ESSL (and will be part of SHEL). EC will invite Jenny to the next EC meeting.

 

  1. 9.                 AP Requirements and Faculty Review

This document will be posted for comments.

 

  1. 10.            Faculty Job Descriptions – what is the role of the job description and who is responsible for keeping them up-to-date

This was deferred to another meeting.