Library Committee Handbook

Executive Committee



Executive Committee Minutes 09-26-2011

Executive Committee

 

MINUTES

September 26, 2011

1:30-3:00pm

428 Library

 

Present:  Paula Kaufman, chair; David Ward, vice-chair; Beth Woodard, Secretary; Paula Carns, JoAnn Jacoby, Lynne Rudasill, , Greg Youngen; Visitors – Scott Walter, Tom Teper, Beth Sandore, Wendy Shelburne, Michael Norman

 

  1. 1.                 1:30-AULs

 

The plan is near completion. They will forecast the needs through FY16. They are identifying needs and gaps in supporting technologies through the Library. This plan will come to EC.

This recommendation went to Michael Hites, Executive CIO for the University. The Provost charged an overall campus IT committee including some deans and IT reps from faculty, students, staff and Library representatives. This group will oversee policy, budget and other recommendations related to campus. Beth will send the document that describes these recommendations.

The WG is preparing a proposal to morph this group into an Information Technology Advisory Committee. They will send the proposal to EC when it is ready.

EC is looking ahead to next summer and searches to replace those faculty who retire. Our process takes a long time and we won’t know all the faculty who are retiring until the end of April.

 

EC suggested that Paula K. talk to Barb Wilson in the Provost’s office to find out if we can update the hiring plan more frequently.   (NOTE:  From Paula’s subsequent discussions with her, we will have opportunity to update the hiring plan three times a year:  October 15, February 15, and June 15.)

 

The Strategic Planning Task Force (SPTF) plans to have a second draft to Paula K. by Wednesday, September 28. EC will receive the draft in time for the October 3 meeting. The SPTF will post the draft for faculty and staff to review by October 7. They will then incorporate any revisions and send the revised draft to EC, once all open meetings have taken place. SPTF plans to have the final document before winter break.

 

  1. 2.                 2:00-2:10 – Wendy Shelburne – Chair, Technical Architect for Library Content Discovery & Delivery Search Committee

 

EC discussed the search process with Wendy. Once the search committee meets, Wendy will send the final job description back to EC for approval. EC also discussed recruitment and diversity with Wendy.

 

  1. 3.                 2:30-2:40 – Michael Norman – Chair, Technical Services Project Coordinator

EC discussed the search process with Michael. Once the search committee meets, Michael will send the final job description back to EC for approval. EC also discussed recruitment and diversity with Michael.

 

  1. 4.                 Approve minutes from September 22

Minutes were approved with changes.

 

  1. 5.                 Question Time

A personnel issue was discussed.

 

The search committee for the Latin American & Caribbean Studies Librarian was discussed.

 

Where are we with the new name for the Map and Geography Library? Jenny Johnson will be sending a proposal to EC in time for the October 21 EC meeting.

 

  1. 6.                 Zero-time appointment for faculty member

The appointment was discussed and approved by EC.

 

  1. 7.                 Promotion and Tenure Substitutes

This person will be on the P&T committee while another faculty member is on sabbatical. A person was suggested and Paula K. will contact them to serve.

 

  1. 8.           Distinction Between Faculty, AP, and Staff Positions (now called 

Distinctions in Expectations)– Lynne Rudasill,  Sarah Shreeves

Lynne and Sarah will have a revision for a future meeting.  They were asked to include the 5 criteria for Academic Professionals. 

 

  1. 9.                 Task Force on Subject Specialist Roles and Responsibilities

The Membership was decided. Greg Youngen will chair the TF and will invite the other members.