Library Committee Handbook

Executive Committee



Executive Committee Minutes

November 12, 2007

1:30-3:00 p.m., 428 Library

 

Present: Paula Kaufman, Chair; Chris Prom, Vice-Chair; John Wagstaff, Secretary, Tim Cole, Cindy Ingold, Bill Mischo, Michael Norman, Janice Pilch, Beth Woodard; Recording- Kim Matherly

 

1.   Review and approval of Minutes from November 5, 2007

Minutes were approved with changes.

 

2.   Question Time

      Paula commented that we do not have any information about the rescission money. We probably won’t hear before February or March. A question was also asked about whether the library was represented at the recent “Resource Summit”. Paula reported that she had been there as one of the Council of Deans.

 

3.   Undergraduate Library report

      The Committee was very impressed with the thoroughness of the report. They had some suggestions of what they would like to see in the report for year two. The Committee feels it is important for UGL to work with CITES to offer services in a more transparent way, as students are often confused about who to contact with questions or problems.

 

4.   “Research Time” document

      The Committee discussed the document and suggested some changes. Michael and Cindy will make the changes and bring it back to the Committee.

 

5.   GA proposal rubric

      The Budget Group has received information and requests from units in respect of their perceived GA requirements for FY09. Each member of the group will complete columns in the rubric (which is in Excel file format) in order to take the matter forward. A suggestion for improving the rubric was made.

 

6.   New Service Model proposals/Library for the 21 st century (continuation of discussion)

      Chris Prom brought a new iteration of the most recent document. The Committee will look over the document and send Chris any comments. A section on Technical Services and Digitization has yet to be incorporated into the document.

 

7.   Report on Entrepreneurial Programs in FY07

      The Committee discussed the report. The future of IRIS remains unresolved. There has been some interest shown by a commercial company. The Committee questioned whether we have enough services to market with the goal being to provide good service and recover costs if we can. They would also like to see a business plan for LibPrint. This item will be put on a future agenda.

 

8.   Committee on Scholarly Communication

      This item was deferred to a future meeting.

 

9.   Charge for Large-Scale Digitization Working Group

      This item was deferred to a future meeting.