Library Committee Handbook

Executive Committee



Executive Committee Minutes

[Approved October 22, 2007]

 

October 8, 2007

1:30-3:00 p.m., 428 Library

 

Present: Paula Kaufman, Chair; Chris Prom, Vice-Chair; John Wagstaff, Secretary; Tim Cole, Cindy Ingold, Bill Mischo, Michael Norman, Janice Pilch, Beth Woodard; Recording- Kim Matherly

 

1.   Review and approval of Minutes from September 24, 2007

      Minutes were approved with changes.

 

2.   Question Time

      Paula made some personnel announcements, including one in response to a question about a Head of Preservation position.

 

      An EC member had been asked whether any individual member of library staff could ask to have something put on EC’s agenda. It was noted that this is indeed the case. An EC member can say no, but that has never happened. If it were to happen, the requestor would be able to approach another committee member to have the item included. Also, anyone can add an item to a faculty meeting agenda or bring something up at a faculty meeting under “New Business.”

 

      The committee discussed how best to deal with the rescission of 1.5% of the library’s budget.

 

3.   Position request from Library IT

      EC discussed the position. Questions were raised, and Beth Sandore will be asked to attend EC’s next meeting for further discussion.

 

4.   Provost’s response to library’s hiring plan

      EC feels the Provost has given the Library leeway to continue to hire as required.

 

5.   “New service models” discussion

      The Budget Plus group has been meeting weekly. Its members have classified the various proposals into categories and have assigned a different category to each member, who will summarize. Some proposals have been sent back to units because they are things that the units can address. Some proposals have been eliminated because they are not feasible, or because they are already being acted upon.

 

      Chris Prom will send the committee the latest draft of proposals still under consideration.

 

      Paula will be making a presentation at the Deans’ meeting in a couple of weeks. She is also working to arrange an open meeting so faculty from across campus can hear first hand the process the Library is using to review each of the proposals.

 

      The Budget Plus group will also be talking to individual units and divisions to discuss what can be implemented and the best way to do it.

 

6.   Proposed GA evaluation policy

      The policy document was discussed, and some concerns expressed. In particular it was felt that there was some confusion over the purpose of the document, which seems to be trying to evaluate GA performance on the one hand, and deal with the role of GA’s in library units on the other. Paula will talk with Scott Walter to make the policy more evaluative overall.