Library Committee Handbook

Executive Committee



Executive Committee Minutes

September 6, 2007

1:30-3:00 p.m., 428 Library

 

Present: Paula Kaufman, Chair; Chris Prom, Vice-Chair; John Wagstaff, Secretary; Tim Cole, Cindy Ingold, Bill Mischo, Michael Norman, Janice Pilch; Recording- Kim Matherly

 

Guest: Candidate for position of Interim Head, Central Access Services

 

1.   Meeting with candidate for position of Interim Head, Central Access Services

      The candidate was interviewed.

 

2.   Review and approval of Minutes from August 27

      Approved with changes.

 

3.   Discussion of candidates for Interim Head, Central Access Services position

      The candidates for this position were discussed. Paula will talk further with Scott Walter and then will either make an offer, or come back to EC for further discussion.

 

4.   Question Time

      Paula reported that Mike Andrechak is requiring all units to set aside 1.5 % of their budget to create a financial “cushion”. The 1.5% will then be restored to units mid-year if not otherwise needed. Collections money will not be affected by this requirement. Paula is discussing the matter with Rod Allen. Having to set aside this money (some $320,000) now is likely to lead to a delay in some position searches.

 

      What is happening with I3? [“I-Cubed” -- Illinois Informatics Initiative]. It was noted that I3 director Marc Snir has an office in GSLIS now. Paula is on the I3 governing board.

 

      Will all proposals resulting from the “new service models” exercise go up on a website? What happens if a proposal is worded in such a way that one can tell where it came from, even if names are not included? Paula noted that only summaries of proposals will be posted, so this should not be an issue.

 

      Where are we with the Copyright/Intellectual Property lawyer position? Campus Legal Counsel is no longer interested in having this person in their offices, and at the moment it is still unknown whether the lawyer will be based at UIUC or at the Springfield or Chicago campus. The three ULs will move forward with the job posting. The person appointed to the position will be available to all faculty for advice.

 

      Michael has been working with Susan Singleton on the recent problems with CARLI and Voyager access.

 

5.   Appointment of PRC for two new faculty members

      Appointments were proposed. The persons concerned will be contacted.

 

6.   Request of a campus director for closer involvement with the Library

      Paula will continue to look into this.