Library Committee Handbook

Executive Committee



Executive Committee Minutes

Library Executive Committee

October 2, 2006

1:30-3:00, 428 Library

 

Present: Karen Schmidt, Chair; Chris Prom, Vice-Chair; Cindy Ingold, Secretary, Tim Cole, Michael Norman, Nancy O’Brien, Janice Pilch, Lynne Rudasill, John Wagstaff

 

1. Review and Approval of Minutes of from Aug. 31, Sept. 6, 11, 25, 2006.

All four sets of minutes were approved.

 

2. Question Time

Three personnel issues were discussed.

 

Scott Walter will do a brief presentation before the Student IT Advisory Board about what the library could do if more money came in from a library fee.

 

EC will discuss the position description for the AUL for Collections at its next meeting in order to provide guidance to the search committee for this position.

 

A question was raised about the discussion at the joint AC/EC meeting about the proliferation of committees and task forces and how we will present this to the faculty.  Karen will send out a revised copy of the Library Committee/Task Force self review form that she developed along with a message that these groups can scale back, dissolve, or meet less often.

 

3. Beth Sandore: Discussion of  IT Issues- (1:45-2:15)

Beth Sandore, AUL for Library Information Technology Planning and Policy, discussed the most recent reorganization plan for library IT.  There are five functional areas that Beth is proposing for restructuring IT. EC members posed questions about how these areas would function.  There was also discussion about how to more formally incorporate the current mass digitization work into library IT; how DSD will be structured; and how to move web content creation forward.  EC members also stressed the need to bring others within the library into the work of IT.  Beth will provide a more detailed version of this plan.  EC will discuss again at its next meeting.

 

Beth also discussed her plans for working at the UC Berkeley Library in spring 2007.

 

4. Position Requests from Summer 2006—Final Input

EC provided final recommendations. Karen will revise and send out to the faculty.

 

5. Search Committee for Audio-Visual Project Coordinator

The Library has received an IMLS grant for A-V preservation.   EC gave recommendations for the composition of the search committee.

 

6. IDEALS Personnel

Discussion postponed.

 

7. Role of IT Advisory Board vs. CAPT        

Discussion postponed.

 

8. Mass  Digitization Group: Formalize Charge and Membership

EC discussed whether additional individuals should be added to this group. We also discussed creating a more structured mechanism to incorporate feedback about what items should be digitized.  Betsy will send Karen the charge of this group for EC to consider.