Library Committee Handbook

Executive Committee



Executive Committee Minutes

Library Executive Committee

September 6, 2006

11:30-1:00, 428 Library

 

Present: Karen Schmidt, Chair; Chris Prom, Vice-Chair; Cindy Ingold, Secretary, Tim Cole, Michael Norman, Janice Pilch, Lynne Rudasill, John Wagstaff, Kim Matherly, recording

 

1.      Review and Approval of Minutes from August 14 and August 28 (special meting)

Both sets of minutes were approved.

 

2.       Question Time

A question was brought forward about a position request. There was discussion about the current process for handling these requests. Karen suggested that we have a web form available that can be filled out anytime, which would include a space for individuals to make a case about why the position should be filled immediately.  Karen will work on a form, and EC will discuss at its next meeting.

 

Karen, Chris and Cindy will work together to update the position request form.

 

A personnel issue was discussed.

 

Cindy will be not be here for the 9/11 meeting. Janice agreed to do the agenda and minutes for this meeting.

 

3.       Filling ILL/DD Head

EC continued its discussion and made a recommendation about filling the position.

 

4.      Positions Request: Serials Management Specialist

Michael provided additional information about this position including the rationale for why this should be an Academic Professional.  There was a discussion about whether this position should be visiting or full time. EC moved to approve this position as a full time Academic Professional. A vote was taken: six members approved and one opposed. A search committee was suggested.

 

5.       Review of Academic Search Committee Procedural Guidelines

Cindy and Lynne will look at this and bring back to a future meeting.

 

6.       Planning for Discussion with Beth Woodard, post-tenure review (Sept. 11 EC Meeting)

Last year, Beth Woodard emailed EC about having a discussion of post-tenure review for Associate Professors. Chris Prom will forward Beth's email to the current EC so everyone will be up to speed for the discussion with Beth on September 11.

 

7.       Planning for Bylaws Discussion at September 20 Faculty Meeting

Nancy O'Brien will lead the discussion at the faculty meeting.  EC talked about various ways to provide a fair and open discussion of the suggested bylaws changes, but also how to move the discussion along.  A suggestion was made and accepted that EC put forward a motion at the faculty meeting to bring the bylaws changes to a formal vote of the faculty. 

 

8.       Planning for Provost visit

Provost Linda Katehi will meet with the faculty on September 21 from 9:00-10:00 in the ACES Monsanto Room and then with EC from 10:00-10:30. At 10:30 she will take a tour of the Library and the Oak Street facility.  Karen received three questions for the Provost to address: funding; the tension between the sciences and humanities, and the Global Campus.  EC also suggested the following items for discussion:  librarians as faculty; campus discussions about the promotion and tenure process, and how to input University Library P&T guidelines in this process; the long-term commitment to digitization efforts; and what her office is doing to implement and assess the Strategic Plan.