Library Committee Handbook

Executive Committee



Executive Committee Minutes

Library Executive Committee

June 4, 2007

1:30-3:00, 428 Library

 

Present: Paula Kaufman, Chair; Janice Pilch, Secretary; Tim Cole, Michael Norman, Nancy O'Brien, Lynne Rudasill, John Wagstaff; Recording- Kim Matherly

Absent: Chris Prom, Vice-Chair; Cindy Ingold

 

1. Review and approval of minutes from May 29

The minutes were approved.

 

2. Question Time

The committee reviewed its practice for posting supporting documents to the website. Drafts of documents are generally not posted; final drafts and proposals typically should be posted.

 

EC discussed the status of two promotion cases, and the question of how many faculty should serve on peer review committees. The practice continues of assigning two members to a committee, and in normal circumstances tenured faculty members serve on one peer review committee.

 

It is time again to solicit requests for ICR funds; Paula Kaufman will send out a message to faculty setting a June 30 deadline.

 

3. Request for positions--Visiting Assistant Engineering Librarian and Visiting Digitization and Illinois Harvest Portal Developer

EC recommended approval of the Visiting Assistant Engineering Librarian position, and asked Tim Cole to report at the next meeting on the status of positions in DSD; Paula Kaufman will obtain a copy of the draft position description for management of the Large Scale Digitization initiative.

 

Emerita status for Karen Schmidt has been approved.

 

4. Peer review committee for 3Q appointment

EC made recommendations for a peer review committee for this appointment.

 

5. Review of draft policy document, dated April 10, 2007, on Law Faculty Review Process

EC discussed questions concerning scoring and handling of Law Library FRC reports; membership of Law Library faculty on FRC and PTA; and the advisability of assessing the new procedures in one year. Paula will discuss these issues with Janis Johnston and EC will follow up at the next meeting.

 

6. Access Services Merger Proposal

EC affirmed the direction of the proposal, and made suggestions for resolving questions in order to make progress on the plan. Questions include timing of possible changes; pros and cons; proposed new titles and responsibilities; and the suggestion for rotating leadership in the newly structured unit. Paula Kaufman will discuss the proposal further with Scott Walter, and suggested that Scott work with Stephanie Atkins and Cherie Weible on specifics.

 

7. Proposed title changes in connection with Paula Kaufman's recent title change to University Librarian and Dean of Libraries

EC recommended approval of the title of Assistant Dean for Rod Allen, Jeff Schrader, and Vicki Trimble in their respective positions, and the title of Associate Dean for the Associate University Librarians.

 

8. Choosing PRC replacements for faculty on sabbatical in 2007-2008

EC discussed replacement of faculty for five peer review committees to cover sabbaticals in 2007-2008, and made recommendations. The committee also discussed the need for a consistent policy on research leaves. Lynne Rudasill and Michael Norman will draft a policy on granting research leaves and expectations for faculty who are granted research leaves.

 

9. Feedback on Policy for Awarding Emeritus/Emerita Status

EC reconfirmed existing current policies for awarding emeritus/emerita status, as set out in Provost Communication 12.

 

10. Status of parking lot items

The discussion was postponed.

 

NOTE:  Documents can be found at G:\Executive Committee\Agendas\06-11-2007 Meeting Documents.

Draft minutes can be found at G:\ExecutiveCommittee\Minutes\FY2007Minutes.

 

Parking Lot:

 

·         EC and AC-what is the role of each group

·         Composition of FRC

·         Sabbaticals and administration of units

·         Encouragement/incentives for Library faculty for working on new initiatives (to be discussed with Janet Keller, and also possibly at a forum or Library faculty meeting)

·         Process for review of AUL goals

·         Discussion of feedback on Proposal for Establishing Guidelines for Evaluation of Visiting Academic Professionals and Faculty in the UIUC Library, and development of policy document; discussion of whether grant-funded positions should require dossiers

·         Discussion of proposals submitted to Budget Group for FY08 budget

·         Monthly check on visa/job status

·         Committee assignments for 2007-2008 (June 28 meeting)