Position Request Form
Library Executive Committee
May 14, 2007
1:30-3:00, 428 Library
Present: Karen Schmidt, Chair; Chris Prom, Vice-Chair; Janice Pilch, Secretary; Tim Cole, Cindy Ingold, Michael Norman, Nancy O’Brien, Lynne Rudasill, John Wagstaff; Recording- Kim Matherly
1. Large Scale Digitization Working Group— Building and Sustaining Capacity for Digitization (including discussion of related budget matters with Rod Allen at 1:30)
Rod Allen provided an estimate of monies available in the academic and staff pools, and of needs known by the Budget Group, to facilitate the discussion of possibilities for sustaining large-scale digitization efforts.
EC made a recommendation for moving forward with a position description for the management of the large-scale digitization effort, as part of an internal Library search.
2. Review and approval of minutes from May 7
The minutes were approved, with one revision.
3. Question Time
EC discussed the position request for a Metadata Librarian and recommended individuals for appointment to the search committee.
A personnel issue was discussed.
Due to the uncertainties surrounding the FY08 budget, a decision was made to hold off on the June 1 call for position requests. Karen Schmidt plans to send a message to this effect to the faculty.
EC briefly discussed the status of the Physics Library and the question of its possible merger into the Grainger Library.
4. Review of revised position description for Emerging Technologies Librarian and Web Content Coordinator: further discussion
EC recommended further revisions, involving the statement on promotion and tenure standards, and changing the title to “Web Technologies and Content Coordinator.”
5. Access Services Merger Proposal
EC discussed the proposal but did not formulate recommendations.
6. Review of revised Search Committee Procedural Guidelines
EC made final revisions to the document and approved the new version. It will be posted to the EC website.
7. Review of draft policy document, dated April 10, 2007, on Law Faculty Review Process
The discussion was postponed.