Library Committee Handbook

Executive Committee



Executive Committee Minutes

Library Executive Committee

February 5, 2007

1:30-3:00, 428 Library

 

Present: Karen Schmidt, Chair; Chris Prom, Vice-Chair; Cindy Ingold, Secretary; Tim Cole, Michael Norman, Nancy O’Brien, Janice Pilch, Lynne Rudasill, John Wagstaff; Recording- Kim Matherly

 

1. ICR Requests

EC recommended not to provide money for the final two ICR requests.

 

2. Review and Approval of Minutes from January 24

Minutes were approved with changes.

 

3. Question Time

What is the current status of the Library fee? This item is not on the BOT agenda until at least March. It is unclear if it will be discussed at that meeting or at an April meeting.

 

Law Library Memorandum of Understanding has been signed by all parties. Karen and Rod will meet with Janis Johnston, Law Library Director, and an Associate Dean of Law to discuss the budget.  Karen will meet with Janis to discuss the P&T process. The Law Library currently has three Library faculty vacancies.

 

All of the comments Karen has received regarding moving the Women and Gender Resources position to the Social Sciences Division have been positive. She will send a reminder to LIBFAC asking for comments by the end of February.

 

What is the agenda for the leadership retreat?  RTG (Renewal & Transformation Group) will summarize the results of the interviews with library leaders.  Two focus groups will discuss our vision and our organization. There will also be a presentation at the faculty meeting on February 7.

 

Tim Cole mentioned that the Campus Promotion & Tenure Reform Committee is conducting a survey on the P& T process and that several people in the Library should have received a copy to fill out. 

 

The editors for the next round of promotion papers will be Kathleen Kluegel, Sue Searing, Scott Walter, and Beth Woodard.

 

4. PRC Appointments

Suggestions were made and Karen will contact the individuals to see if they will serve.

 

5. Exemptions from Annual Review 

EC discussed a proposal from FRC that 0Y and 1Y faculty who join the Library after October 1 be exempted from the annual review process.  We endorsed this idea. However, all tenure-track faculty must still prepare a dossier and meet with their Peer Review Committees.  This needs to be clearly communicated.

 

6. Paper Preparers for P&T Candidates

EC suggested names for paper preparers for the candidates going up for promotion and tenure next fall.  Karen will contact all of them.

 

7. Request to Fill Vacancy in Library Development

EC recommended that the Library fill this vacancy. A search committee was suggested. Karen will contact the individuals to ask them to serve.

 

8. Search Committees for New Positions

Will be on the next agenda.

 

9. Review of Search Committee Procedural Guidelines

Will be on the next agenda.