Library Committee Handbook

Executive Committee



Executive Committee Minutes

December 22, 2005
1:30-3:00 pm
428 Library

 

Present: Paula Kaufman-chair, Lynne Rudasill-vice-chair, Chris Prom-secretary, Jane Block, Tim Cole, Cindy Ingold, Nancy O’Brien, Lynn Wiley, Visitors-Mary Laskowski, Betsy Kruger; Kim Reynolds-recording .  Absent: Kathleen Kluegel

 

1.        Access Services, Guests Mary Laskowski and Betsy Kruger

Laskowski provided clarification regarding the proposed phase one in the access services plan (i.e. centralization of reserves) for libraries in the main building.  The goal is to make reserve services efficient enough to work well and last for the next few years. The proposal envisages all print reserve processing taking place centrally, but units would be provided the option of holding reserves on site or in a centralized reserve location. The staff would be shared between Media and Reserve Center, Central Stacks, and IRRC.

Kruger discussed the attached statistical information regarding call slip processing/pickups.  It would not be possible to centralize pickups and call slip processing (phase three of original plan) until phase two (unified reserve/pickup desk in Main Library) is completed, due to lack of space.

The Committee will review the proposal in relation to the Area Studies proposal, the Scholarly Commons proposal, the Access Services proposal and the Shepley, Bulfinch report in conjunction with faculty input.

 

2.        Review and approval of minutes from Dec 5, 2005

Minutes were approved.

 

3.        Emeritus Status

Emeritus status was unanimously recommended for a retiring faculty member. Paula will send a letter to the Provost making the request.

 

4.        Question Time

Is there any information about the new Provost Linda Katehi?  It might be useful to invite her to an Executive Committee meeting so she can learn about the Library.

 

5.        Turyn Professor process

The application procedures document previously approved by EC was modified.  Evaluation of the applications will be done by  a committee of five members, including the University Librarian, full professors of EC who have not applied, and additional full professors recommended by EC (if necessary). Chris Prom will revise the document, and Paula will send it to the faculty with a deadline of March 15 for applications.

 

6.        BEL position

Becky Smith had answered some questions by email because she couldn’t come to today’s meeting. There are still several questions, so she will be invited to a future meeting.

 

7.        Acquisition Librarian Position

With the addition that this position works with the head of Content Access Management, the description was approved.

 

8.        Strategic Planning: Review Division SWOTs

Campus is making some changes to the timing and process of developing the strategic plan.  The Library SP has to be done by March 15. A sub-group of Lynne Rudasill and Paula Kaufman will meet to establish a process and timeline, including steps to secure faculty input.

 

9.        Policy on Untenured Librarian as Acting Unit Head

In regard to a question which recently arose, there is no policy that untenured librarians cannot act as unit heads. The goal is to protect the untenured librarian so as not to disturb the tenure process and do what is best for the unit. Each case is evaluated on an individual basis.