Library Committee Handbook

Executive Committee



Executive Committee Minutes

March 13, 2006

1:30-3:00 pm

428 Library

 

Present: Paula Kaufman-chair, Lynne Rudasill-vice-chair, Chris Prom-secretary, Jane Block, Tim Cole, Cindy Ingold, Kathleen Kluegel, Nancy O'Brien, Lynn Wiley, Kim Reynolds-recording

 

1.        Review and approval of minutes from March 6

Minutes were approved as submitted.

 

2.        Question Time

Lynne Rudasill contacted the Provost's office in regards to the University Librarian's annual review. The information will be mailed out later this month.

 

One member suggested that once a new FRC chair is in place, EC send that person the document that was created to drive the meeting in May between FRC and EC. In a challenging year which includes a large number of tenure cases, EC will make some suggestions to FRC on how to fill the position of chair, including, perhaps, a split year chair. The Committee suggested Paula talk to FRC.

 

The Committee will be talking to the faculty at the next Faculty Meeting (March 15) to get input and recommendations as what the faculty think about the reports and what should be highlighted in the Strategic Plan. The Committee would like to determine what reallocations could be made to move some things forward quickly and what things are more controversial and will need additional conversations.

 

3.        Arts and Humanities Proposal regarding Modern Languages Library

 

Once next year's budget information is available, this proposal will be considered with the other position proposals EC has received and expects to receive.

 

4.        Rod Allen/Budget Priorities

Rod met with the group and discussed the budget for FY06 and FY07. It is possible that the Library will receive an additional allocation from the Provost, but it is not known if we will be subject to the proposed 3% campus tax or if the campus will require the library to spend the increase in one area (e.g. collections). He then distributed a list of potential priority areas that the Budget Group had compiled.  EC added two additional items they thought were important. They then suggested five top priority items: Collections, Digitization, GA%, Hours (wages), and additional Facilities money.  It is expected that Jeff Schrader will submit a request for an increased facilities budget as the amount allocated this year was insufficient to meet basic facilities needs. EC would also like to allocate some money to faculty and staff pool if possible. 

 

Rod indicated that the Budget group will continue to consult with EC on priorities as a clearer budget picture emerges.

 

A motion was moved, seconded and carried that the Director of Facilities, Jeff Schrader, appoint a small advisory committee to make recommendations on the priorities for the Facilities budget. They would also like Jeff to come to a meeting to talk about what is being done in Facilities and what projects are in the works.

 

EC also recommended that Beth Sandore appoint a small advisory committee to make recommendations on priorities for the systems office/IT budget.

 

5.        Process to fill position requests

EC will ask for proposals for permanent faculty and AP positions by June 1. Lynne and Chris will draft a template that will be sent out to the units. In the meantime, units may continue to submit request for visiting positions to the Budget Group.

 

6.        Evaluation of AULs/Directors

Paula will ask the AULs and Directors to submit their goals.  Paula will distribute the goals to Library faculty, and EC will then evaluate each AUL using the goals and feedback.

 

7.        Strategic Planning

Paula has received no input from Library faculty regarding the Health Science Initiative. A task force will be appointed to draft some language regarding the Library's plans, possibilities, and requirements if we are to provide effective services and collections for this initiative.  Since it is one of the three major initiatives named in the Campus Strategic Plan, EC is very concerned that we clearly address these points in our own strategic plan.