Monday, September 13, 2004
Present: Paula Kaufman (Chair), Lynne Rudasill (Secretary), Jane Block, Cindy Ingold, Janis Johnston, Kathleen Kluegel, William Maher, Lynn Wiley
1. Budget Discussion – Rod Allen met with the committee to describe how the budget is put together and where we are now. Although his information was directed primarily toward the new members of the EC, a refresher on the development of the budget was helpful to all members.
2. Approval of Minutes – The minutes of the August 23, 2004 meeting were approved as corrected.
3. Question Time –
In answer to a question regarding alternative funding avenues, Paula indicated a small group of individuals is still looking at the question of a library fee.
The membership of the new Diversity Committee is being developed along with the formal charge of the new committee.
If handouts are needed for a public service event external to the University Library, the external institution supporting the event should be asked to pay for the copies. However, if time or other factors do not permit this, a reasonable number of copies can be made using Library resources in order to provide a public service.
4. Discussion of proposed positions:
Law Reference - approved – Janis Johnston, Paul Healey, Jane Williams, Barbara Hennigman, Mary Mallory, and a faculty member from the Law School to be named at a later date were suggested as members for the search committee.
Digital Resources and Reference – After further discussion of this position, members agreed to invite both Bob Burger and Jo Kibbee to attend an executive committee meeting for the purpose of discussing the future plans and direction of the Reference Library.
5. Request for rollback – A request for a rollback was approved and will be sent to the Provost’s office for consideration.
6. Discussion of nominee for Campus Budget Oversight Committee – William Maher was nominated by the Executive Committee to stand for the election to the Campus Budget Oversight Committee.
7. Discussion of the Strategic Plan – Members discussed the Strategic Plan at length. More specific discussion ended with the thought that the plan might be split into two parts – a strategic plan and an implementation plan. It was decided to wait for comments from the Library Faculty meeting before making any more recommendations for changes to the proposed plan.