July 25, 2005
Room 428 Library
Present: Paula Kaufman (Chair), Bill Mischo (Vice-Chair), Lynne Rudasill (Secretary), Kathleen Kluegel, William Maher, Lynn Wiley
Absent: Jane Block, Cindy Ingold, Janis Johnston, Kim Reynolds (Recording)
Guest: Mary Stuart
1. History/Philosophy/Newspaper Library – Mary Stuart was present at the meeting in order to answer questions concerning the merger of the units. The status report of the advisory group for this merger was reviewed as was the interim collection development policy for newspapers. The proposal to name the new unit the History, Philosophy, and Newspaper Library was unanimously approved.
2. Minutes from prior meetings –
The Minutes from the Special Meetings on June 14, July 6, and July 12, 2005 were approved.
The Minutes from the regular meeting of July 13, 2005 were sent back for a wording change and will be reviewed again at the next Executive Committee meeting on August 8, 2005.
3. Question Time - A question was asked concerning the effect of Lisa German’s departure on the Access Strategies initiatives. Both Karen Schmidt and Beth Sandore are looking at the implementation of these initiatives.
4. Personnel Issues – Peer Review Committee replacements were suggested two individuals. The appointment of Peer Review Committee members for new faculty in the Law Library will be made at the next meeting.
5. Appointment of Acting Head of Acquisitions – Lynn Wiley was unanimously chosen to serve as Acting Head of Acquisitions upon the departure of Lisa German. (Wiley did recuse herself during discussion and vote of this measure.)
6. Committee Assignments – The Executive Committee approved new committee assignments for the coming 2005-2006 academic year for the Library.
7. Communication Issues – The issues of confidentiality and lack of communication raised at an earlier faculty meeting were discussed by members of the Executive Committee. The necessity for a pledge of confidentiality was explored, among other issues. William Maher is preparing a statement to be shared with the faculty on this matter. Discussion of this proposal will be continued at the next meeting on August 8.
8. Extension of Training Coordinator Position – An extension for a half-time training coordinator was approved for the next three years.
Annual Review of the University Librarian
Status, composition, charge and future of the Strategic Planning Committee
Position titles for the Library
Policy page review
AUL for Services position description
CDC/AUL for Collections/EC relationship