Library Committee Handbook

Executive Committee



Executive Committee Meeting

May 9, 2005
1:30-3:00 p.m.
428 Main Library

 

Present:  Paula Kaufman (Chair), Lynne Rudasill (Secretary), Cindy Ingold, Janis Johnston, William Maher, Kim Reynolds (Recording), Lynn Wiley

 

Visitor:  Rod Allen

 

Minutes:  Minutes of the Executive Committee meetings for April 11 and April 25 were approved with corrections.  Minutes of the Special Meeting of the Executive Committee of May 2 were approved.

 

Question Time:  A question was asked about the presence of a large mast-like antenna on the roof of the Main Library.  Speculation was that it had something to do with wireless access, but Jeff Schrader will be contacted to discover the purpose of the structure.

 

There was a question concerning a rollback request.

 

Wiley asked if there was an organization chart that lists positions throughout the University Library.  She suggested it would be particularly helpful during bad budget years to know the level of staffing in various units.

 

No response has yet been received concerning the Access Strategy Task Force report.  Further discussion of this report and any response from the faculty will be placed on the next Executive Committee agenda.

 

The Executive Committee will schedule three meetings a month beginning in August 2005.  This will allow the Committee to complete more agenda items in a timely manner.  It was noted that it is easier to cancel a meeting than find the time and place for necessary additional meetings.

 

Business and Economics Library Position – The Budget Group approved a request by the Social Science Division and the Business and Economics Library to fill a position.  The Executive Committee voted unanimously to proceed to fill the position.

 

Preliminary Budget Information – Rod Allen joined the meeting to update the Executive Committee on possible budget scenarios for the next fiscal year.  Three alternatives were presented to the Committee with the caveat that it is really too early to tell which would be necessary since the Legislature has not met on the budget to date.

 

Personnel Matters – Referees for tenure and promotion papers were selected.

 

Suggestions for Peer Review Committee assignments for faculty who will be on sabbatical next year were made.  Kaufman will contact the individuals impacted by the temporary assignments.

 

Communication of Executive Committee Deliberations – A conversation regarding the concerns expressed at the last faculty meeting regarding the communication of information on the part of the Executive Committee was initiated.  This discussion will continue at the next meeting.  Kim Reynolds was asked to send a message to LIBFAC-L when Executive Committee minutes and agendas become available.