Wednesday, 26 August 2002
Present: Paula Kaufman (chair), Lisa German, Dick Griscom, Janis Johnston, Bill Maher, Sue Searing, Leslie Troutman, Greg Youngen
1. Approval of minutes of 24 July and 12 August 2002
Minutes were approved.
2. Question Time
Nancy Romero’s emerita status was approved.
Please remember to copy Kim on all emails as she keeps the official EC notebook.
A draft of the Al Kagan letter was sent out. Please respond to Paula.
The Grievances and Appeals Committee will be added to the Committee Handbook.
3. Selection of officers for 2002-3
Sue Searing was elected Vice Chair and Greg Youngen was elected Secretary.
4. Principles for vacant positions
The document was approved after discussion.
Guidelines for Request to Fill New or Vacant Academic Positions
Paula will draft a document that will merge the guidelines with the principles.
5. “Contingency Plan” and “Recommendation for Organization” for the Rare Book and Special Collections Library and Pending requests for filling faculty position
These documents were not discussed in detail, but the EC had some questions about individual roles and responsibilities of RBSC staff and how those relate to the open vacancy.
The Committee will invite Barbara Jones to the next meeting to answer questions about the position.
A search committee was appointed for the search to fill The Sousa vacancy.
6. Requests for emerita status
The committee approved.
7. Nominations for honorary degrees
Paula will send out an email to faculty asking for nominees by September 16 for the 2004 ceremony.
8. Follow-up to tenured faculty meeting of 5 Feb. 2002: How can mentoring of untenured faculty be improved? How can sharing of research among all faculty be encouraged?
It would be good to find a way to open the doors to help mentor/mentee relationships. RPC may be the committee best suited to help make this happen.