Position Request Form
Monday, March 26, 2001
1:30 p.m., 428 Library
Present: Paula Kaufman (chair), Margaret Chaplan, Tim Cole, Richard Griscom, Beth
Sandore, Sue Searing, Mary Stuart, Leslie Troutman, Beth Woodard
Guests: Betsy Kruger and Peggy Steele
Kruger and Steele were present to provide EC with an update on the online integrated system software selection process. They distributed the following handouts:
- "Toward Selecting a New Integrated Library System," article by Betsy Kruger for the current issue of The Navigator
- Proposed Timetable for ILCSO Integrated Library System RFP Process
- Copy of letter to Finalist Vendors for RFP Q202 from Kristine Hammerstrand with Follow-up questions on proposed configurations
- Copy of letter to SATF from Betsy Kruger regarding autonomy issues
- UIUC Library Comment Form for ILCSO Vendor Demos
The overriding concern for UIUC relates to issues of local control and ensuring that whatever system chosen works for us. Functionality rather than the speed of implementation will be a major deciding factor in choosing a vendor. The discussion ranged over the following topics:
- local control
- resource-sharing ability of the various systems
- methods of gathering information from vendor customer libraries and the end users of vendors' systems
- the structure of the upcoming demonstration sessions and the attendance of non-library persons and groups who are interested
- soliciting input from campus groups concerned with the library, such as the SLC, deans and department chairs, Paula's student advisory group
- the length of the testing period (ideally 5-6 months) and the importance of being able to use our own database in the test
- the benefits of running DRA parallel with the new system for a period of time after implementation
- the importance of spelling out an implementation agreement before the contract for the new system is finalized.
Since there may be severe space limitations at the demos in 190 Engineering Sciences Building, EC suggested that the SATF investigate the possibility of streaming video or taping the demos and making them available via a web site for the staff at other ILCSO libraries and for interested individuals who may not be able to attend.
I. Approval of the Past Meeting Minutes
The minutes of the March 7, 2001, meeting were approved with two minor corrections.
Paula announced that a spousal hire for a cataloging position has been made and the person will begin in September.
The Oak Street remote storage facility schedule is slipping. A power line that is in the way of construction needs to be moved, and it is estimated that it could take six months to do all the necessary preparation and work.
Paula provided an update on Phyllis Danner's condition and said she is doing some work at home.
Because time ran out, EC will try to schedule another meeting to discuss the remaining agenda items.
The meeting adjourned at 3:00 p.m.