Electronic Resources Management Group
The purpose of the new Electronic Resources Management Group (ERMG) is to bring
together individuals who work with the management of licensed, purchased, and free electronic
resources at UIUC Library. The main focus will be to discuss ways to continually improve and
enhance access to all our e-resources. The group is charged with examining the different pieces of
electronic resources management and then to work collaboratively to provide a comprehensive plan
for dealing with the "back-end" work regarding e-resources, including the acquisition, licensing,
cataloging, creating and maintaining the systems/databases to manage the data and knowledge bases
concerned with these technical activities, and the intersection of electronic resource management
and the dissemination of e-content through various search mechanisms.
The group's work is carried out in consultation with CAPT, and other library groups as
/prappropriate, and will report back on a semi-monthly basis.
Areas of Concentration
- To plan and coordinate the management of electronic resources at UIUC Library.
- Continually look at ways to improve/supplement the knowledge bases of ORR and SFX to keep them
as accurate and current as possible.
- Activation, maintenance and troubleshooting of ORR and SFX services.
- Look at connectivity and access problems.
- Work to proactively find problems in databases and data feeds.
- Look at better integration of electronic resources and online catalog, especially how to deal
with the emerging situation of providing access to large numbers of e-books.
- Examine changing workflows as we move from print/electronic acquisition model to the
- Continue to examine how back-end functions impact our different discovery mechanisms (online
catalog, OpenURL link resolver, federated search engines, Open WorldCat, Google Scholar, etc.)
- Work with IDEALS to populate IR with UI content, especially with publishers to gain copies of
our campus output from them.
- Share information about new e-resources, access issues, etc. with the Library.
- Discover better ways to catalog/make accessible these electronic collections and look at ways
to automate loading of metadata.
- Communicate and teach the Library about the infrastructure(s) of electronic resources.
- Document policies and procedures relating to electronic resources management.
- Work with the preservation initiatives such as Portico, CLOCKS, and LOCKSS.
- Examine storage requirements for e-copy of purchased electronic resources.
- Improve gathering and utilization of e-resource usage statistics.
- Study our current e-resource systems and determine future possibilities for internal
developments and improvements to existing systems or migration to commercial systems.
- Communicate and work collaboratively with CAPT and other Library groups as appropriate. Public
interfaces of various systems and databases are not in the direct purview of this group.
The committee will be made up of the Electronic Resources Librarian, who will chair the
committee; the Head of Content Access Management (CAM); the Head of Help Desk & Applications
Support and Coordinator for Integrated Library Systems; the Coordinator, Illinois Digital
Environment for Access to Learning and Scholarship (IDEALS); the Collections Management Librarian;
a Research Programmer from Systems; a Research Programmer from Technical Services; an E-Resources
Research Programmer; an E-Resources Support Specialist; and an E-Resources Support Personnel
Wendy Shelburne, chair - Electronic Resource Librarian
Michael Norman - Head, CAM
Peggy Steele - Head, Help Desk & Applications Support Coordinator for Integrated Library
Sarah Shreeves - Coordinator, IDEALS
Leslie Rios - Collections Management Librarian
Sharif Islam - Research Programmer from Systems
Stephanie Baker - Research Programmer from Technical Services
E-Resources Research Programmer
E-Resource Support Specialist
Darlene Chirolas, Lisa Fielder, Janet Weber, Helen Zhou - E-Resource Support Personnel