Diversity Committee Minutes December 14, 2010
Library Diversity Committee
December 14th, 2010
Main Library 230b
Cindy Ingold, Chairing Meeting
Emily Love, Minute Taker
Present: Cindy Ingold, co-chair; Paula Carns, Emily Love, Kim Matherly, Gennye Varvel, Pam Ward
Absent: Geoff Ross, Cindy Kelly
1. Approval of November 9 minutes
2. Movie Short-Assessment
- 11 people attended the first session and 10 people attended the second session.
- At both sessions, good discussion took place. In both sessions, background information and context for the film short were provided, which helped to frame the story. Paula Carns noted that this context helped to encourage discussion. Pam Ward mentioned that various feelings of anger may have been felt when watching the film. Kim Matherly noted that as conveners, we need to ensure respectful dialogue.
- Paula Carns also noted that the film's setting in Germany - a distant place - gave a step of separation in order to start the dialogue.
- Emily will contact Lewis Chatham to look at other film shorts in order to host another snack break in March.
- Kim Matherly mentioned that the trays and serving tools, which were purchased with the Diversity's Committee budget are reusable for future events.
3. Spring programming ideas
Communication with International Students
- Cindy Kelly was absent and unable to provide updates.
- The cost for the one week exhibit will be $250 plus shipping (~$500).
- Emily is meeting with the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access and the Center for Democracy in a Multiracial Society to discuss possible partnerships.
- The US contact person for the project has left and a new hire/contact should be hired by mid-January. Until then, there are no more updates.
4. Civility at the Libraries-Next Steps
- Cindy reviewed the White Paper on civility that was created in 2009 buy a working group created by Paula Kaufman and that it would be beneficial to build off the momentum of this document.
- Committee members reviewed the civility document from Penn State University.
- The Committee discussed the idea of writing up a proposal to create a civility task force or a working group on civility to send to Paula Kaufman.
- The January Diversity Committee meeting will look at the development of this proposal that will include membership and a charge.
5. New Business/Announcements
Publicizing the Diversity statement
- Emily has updated the Diversity website and the Diversity Committee's webpage by adding the Library's Diversity Statement.
- Cindy Ingold will send out an announcement to LIBNEWS.
Helping with January 14 retreat
- Emily volunteered the committee to assist organizing seating arrangements for the January retreat.
- For the January meeting, committee members may volunteer to assist with the set up process.
Campus climate survey
- In Fall, 2011, the Campus Diversity Initiatives Committee and the Campus LGBT Committee are looking into conducting a campus climate survey.
- The President has approved this initiative.
- The survey will address all 3 campuses but with local questions that address each campus' particular needs.
- This would be the first large-scale campus-wide climate survey to take place.
Next Meeting: January 11, 2011
Chair: Emily Love
Minute Taker: Kim Matherly