Diversity Committee Minutes December 10, 2013
Library Diversity Committee
December 10, 2013
230B Main Library
Cindy Ingold, Chairing Meeting
Minute taker, Emilie Vrbancic
Present: Cindy Ingold, Erik Chapman, Ellen Swain, Laila Moustafa, Heather Murphy, Qiang Jin, Emilie Vrbancic,
Absent: Barbara Trumpinski-Roberts, Ben Riegler
1. Introduction of New Members
- Qiang Jin
- Ben Riegler (absent)
2. Approval of Minutes from October 8th, 2013
- Approved by all members with no adjustments
3. Introduction to the Committee for New Members
- Reviewed Diversity Committee Charge
4. Review of Accomplishments to Date
- Members agreed that Library initiatives for Inclusive Illinois could be more robust
- Moving the location for Inclusive Illinois to the Marshall Gallery
- Members discussed possible departments and campus offices to collaborate for next year:
- Heather mentioned collaboration with Education department
- Laila and Erik mentioned to seek out partnerships with Foreign Language and Literatures departments
- Laila mentioned doing outreach to student RSOs focused on cultural topics
- Cindy asked the committee “How do we market Inclusive Illinois to the library and the campus community at large?”
- Outreach to RSOs during quad day
- Making Inclusive Illinois events and themes present throughout year, not just during one day
Updates to Diversity & Multicultural webpage http://www.library.illinois.edu/diversity/index.html
- Emilie and Cindy discussed updating the Diversity Committee pages
- Additional information added: Community Organizations, Media, International Student Services
How do we market our library diversity services best to students?
- Committee members agreed that this would be a focus for Spring 2014 meetings and activities
- Members discussed promoting services through social media
- Erik brought up the idea of promoting or creating a diversity calendar similar to the Inclusive Illinois calendar: http://illinois.edu/calendar/list/2806
- Laila suggested outreach to courses that have diversity focus could be provided
- Heather mentioned that new faculty receive monthly library tips (through email)
- She suggested we create a diversity message with diversity resources available for faculty on campus
- The committee could also send out a diversity message through the Compendium newsletter
- The committee discussed collaborating with the Intensive English Program to create a session to discuss the international student experience in conjunction with diversity issues
5. Meeting with John Wilkin (January 14th)
What should our message be for John as the new Library Dean? What do we want to relay to him?
- The committee agreed that diversity needs to be one of the top priorities within the library.
- The committee can help him organize social, educational, and training programs that will include everyone (staff & faculty) in diversity initiatives
- Thought must be put into how he packages messages of diversity in library announcements.
- More mention to diversity should be included in the Library’s strategic goals.
- There is a great need for staff diversity training
- The committee is willing to ask John for funds to hire a professional diversity consultant.
- The committee would like to discuss further if such training should be mandatory for all library staff and faculty.
- The committee would also like to discuss if diversity training will be included in the faculty retreat. If not, is there a way to include such training for the retreat in January?
- Members decided it would be beneficial to integrate diversity issues within existing programs.
- Cindy contributed her view that the Diversity Committee is too small and too ineffective to accomplish much in the library. Diversity seems like something extra we do, instead of being an integrated goal within the library’s operations.
- The committee agreed that a budget would be helpful in offering programs to staff, faculty and students.
- Also a larger committee, that could have sub-committees- would be more effective in offering diversity services to the Library.
- Erik mentioned that John could encourage awareness to supervisors that staff have the opportunity to serve on committees and that time should be allotted for staff to work on committee activities.
6. Ongoing Projects: Update
Working with users with disabilities
- Still trying to coordinate with DRES
Workshop/Training for Library staff on Inclusive Illinois
- Heather will contact Inclusive Illinois to schedule 2 sessions possibly in February
Updating Diversity Goals
7. Future Projects
- Program on Diversity through Stories
- The Big Read
- Partnering with other campus activities
- Erik suggested a program surrounding the Truth and Reconciliation Event with a possible display
Next Meeting: January 14, 2013
230B Main Library