Diversity Committee Minutes October 8, 2013
Library Diversity Committee
October 8th, 2013
206 Funk ACES Library
Cindy Ingold, Chairing Meeting
Minute taker, Emilie Vrbancic
Present: Barbara Trumpinski-Roberts, Erik Chapman, Ellen Swain, Emilie Vrbancic
Absent: Cindy Kelly, Laila Moustafa, Heather Murphy
1. Additions to the Agenda
No new additions to the Agenda
2. Approval of September 10 minutes
Approved by all present members
3. Inclusive Illinois—reflections and planning for next year
- It was noted by all members of the committee that participated in Inclusive Illinois Day that participation from students was minimal.
- To increase participation, members agreed that the location of white boards and/or tables should be moved to more visible locations.
- Funk Aces: Moving location from class wall to a table closer to circulation
- Main Library: Moving location from North/South corridor to table in Marshall Gallery
- Barb mentioned that the creation of displays, especially in Funk Aces Library, could also increase participation.
- Cindy mentioned that the Diversity Committee may have access to a budget that would be helpful in creating materials to increase awareness of the Library’s involvement in Inclusive Illinois Day.
- Cindy and Heather will be meeting with the Office of Diversity, Equity and Access about how Inclusive Illinois Day could be a more collaborative event.
4. Update on Training for Users with Disabilities
- Cindy brought this topic up in the latest Staff Development and Training Committee meeting and it was well received. The Staff Development and Training Committee is willing to partner with the Diversity Committee to hold training sessions.
Ideas for training:
- Offering the training multiple times this semester and again in the Spring 2014 semester.
- Talking to DRES to find out the most relevant needs for people with disabilities and the most used resources and equipment that the Library has access too.
- Invite representative from DRES to speak about the resources they offer students.
- After meeting with DRES representative, hold training sessions for Library staff.
- Cindy will meet with Mary Beth Allen (main contact to DRES) to see what she recommends for these training sessions and how to proceed.
5. Inclusive Illinois Sessions
- Event/training: bring staff from Office of Diversity, Equity, and Access to speak with library staff members about Inclusive Illinois.
- Committee members agreed that November will be a good time to hold events.
- These sessions would be a good opportunity to collaborate with the Staff Development and Training committee.
- Members agreed that holding sessions in the Main Library or Undergrad and Grainger would help reach as many Library staff members as possible.
6. New Business
- Erik asked if there was any word about new members to the Committee.
- Cindy said no, but she is going to follow up with staff members the committee had nominated.
- Discussion of the Candlelight Vigil for Domestic Violence (Tuesday October 8th, 2013) lead to a discussion about how the Library and Library staff can help highlight campus resources for domestic as well as international students.
- One solution was to utilize the Multicultural and Diversity Bulletin Board located on the basement floor of the UGL to highlight campus resources.
- It was noted that the current board holds information about the LGBT Resource Center and National Coming Out Day resources.
- Members suggested that the November or December board could highlight stress relief and counseling services for students since November and December are busy and stressful times for students.
- Additional components may include resident hall library resources and a bibliography of self-help resources.
Next Meeting: November 12, 2013
10:00 am- 11:00 am
Student Life and Archives Center Conference Room
Ellen will provide bus directions from Main Library to Student Life and Archives Center.