Diversity Committee Minutes January 14, 2014
Library Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes
January 14, 2013
230B Main Library
Present: Cindy Ingold, Erik Chapman, Ellen Swain, Heather Murphy, Qiang Jin, Emilie Vrbancic, Cindy Kelly, Barbara Trumpinski-Roberts, Ben Riegler
Absent: Laila Moustafa
Guest: Dean Wilkin
Chair: Cindy Ingold
Minutes: Emilie Vrbancic
Questions to Dean Wilkin
1. What are your thoughts about the direction the Library Diversity Committee should take?
Dean Wilkin mentioned several issues that he felt were important about the Diversity Committee:
- He would be willing to encourage time spent on diversity committee for staff members
- The responsibility for diversity falls to all Library employees
- He would be willing to issue a message to supervisors so that staff members are able to accommodate time spent on committee issues
- He mentioned that funding is available for diversity activities
Dean Wilkin asked if there is a need for a larger committee.
- Cindy Ingold mentioned that at Penn State, the Diversity Committee was larger. There were several subcommittees to work on various issues.
- Members agreed that more members would be helpful to be a more productive and active committee.
2. Do you have any suggestions for topics/issues that the Library Diversity Committee could address through programs or training?
- Dean Wilkin mentioned that he was willing to work together with the Committee to complete training or programs. He also said that the presentation of diversity training is very important; it should be presented as enriching our community, not as addressing deficiencies.
- All Committee members were enthusiastic about having a Diversity celebration/pot luck @ YMCA in the near future.
- Cindy Ingold and Cindy Kelly mentioned working with Social Committee.
- Also mentioned was a professional focused book club which could highlight some diversity issues as well.
3. Do you think the Library should undertake a climate survey at some point?
- Dean Wilkin encouraged the committee to talk to other institutions that have used ClimQual
- Dean Wilkin believes it is t important to collect baseline data in order to assess the long term health of the organization
- Climate survey can be helpful to find “hidden” issues within the workplace
- Cindy Ingold will speak with the Diversity Officers Group at ALA Midwinter
- Cindy Ingold will also speak with Jen Yu, the Library Assessment Coordinator, for additional thoughts about a climate survey
- Cindy Ingold suggested that if we do a survey and find results the Committee must be committed to address the issues we find
- It was agreed that the climate survey would be a joint project with Administration, HR, and the Staff Development and Training, Assessment, and Diversity Committees
- Dean Wilkin stated that communication is an exception to the general climate, and that there seems to be a lack of transparency and clarity. Not everyone is aware the events happening at the Library.
- Barb mentioned the need for an archived news source since LibNews is not archived
- Dean Wilkin asked if LibNews is enough to meet the needs of Library staff and faculty. Perhaps there is a need for a central calendar or newsletter?
- A proposal for a Library Newsletter:
- Announcements for the Library/Staff /HR news/facilities news/kudos etc./committee news
- Must be lightweight and little effort to staff
- Cindy Kelly mentioned that Library HR would be able to start working on a Newsletter
- Cindy Kelly mentioned the overall morale in the library has improved since the Staff Morale Survey was conducted. One result of the Morale Survey was the development of the Supervisory Training Institute (and Supervisory Training sessions)
- The culture has definitely changed in that people are more open to voicing their opinions etc.
4. Would you be willing to add a message from the Dean on the Library Diversity Committee page?
- The committee was pleased with the proposed diversity statement
- Add in the word “Library”
- Include a strong beginning statement about Library diversity
5. All members approved December Meeting Minutes
Next Meeting: Feb 11th