Diversity Committee Minutes July 13, 2010
Library Diversity Committee
428 Main Library
July 13th, 2010
Present: Emily Love, chair, B.A. Davis-Howe, Cindy Kelly, Kim Matherly
Absent: Cindy Ingold, Paula Carns, Gennye Varvel
1. Approval of June 8thth minutes
Minutes were approved without changes.
2. Follow Up from Cookie Breaks:
- Emily Love updated the committee about both cookie breaks. The second cookie break session feature more macro-level comments regarding the need for the Diversity Committee to establish more discussions, programs, and possibly an international potluck. One person at the second cookie break suggested that the committee consider making the language of the statement more general and less academic in nature to appeal to staff.
- Next steps: Emily will send out condensed notes from both cookie break sessions to the committee by e-mail. Cindy Kelly suggested that Emily also send the diversity statement and comments to Paula Kaufman for her feedback. It was also suggested that Emily attach the draft ACRL cultural competencies guidelines as well to add perspective.
- The committee would also be interested in having Paula Kaufman discuss the Library's plan to develop the next set of Library Strategic Goals, and how the diversity statement and diversity strategic goals can coalesce with these broader documents. The committee may want to ask Paula Kaufman to attend a future meeting.
- Additionally, the immediate next steps would be to ratify the diversity statement by the appropriate bodies (Administrative Council? Executive Committee?)
3. Fall Program ideas
Communication with international students
- Cindy Kelly has offered to take the lead on contacting the appropriate student service office that leads the training program on communication with international students. This training would be available to supervisors of students and desk workers at the beginning of the fall semester. This would be co-sponsored by the Diversity Committee.
- Movie Shorts Series: The Committee watched a 10-minute short and discussed themes afterwards. It was agreed that we would aim to present this film short as a cookie break in the first week of November. There will be 2-sessions. The sessions should be booked at Main Library 428 and another one at the Grainger Commons. The link for the short can be found at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZVsTKKT36o
Summer Movie Night
- B.A. Davis Howe, Kim Matherly and Emily Love will be at the film night. Cindy Kelly has put this date on her calendar. Kim will order sodas and a cheese and fruit plate for 30 people. Emily will need to contact facilities at the Armory Building to provide us with a table outside Room 101. Emily will create small posters to put up in break rooms next week and will send out email reminders. Committee members were encouraged to tell their colleagues. There will not be a facilitator in order to make it more inclusive and to get people to talk among themselves.
- Everyone agrees that the second Tuesday of each month from 10am -11am is a good time to meet for 2010-2011.
5. Other/New Business??
- August Retreat Planning Update
The August retreat has been postponed until January. The Retreat is moving away from the diversity component to an assessment component to discuss assessment results.
Next Meeting: August 10th, 2010
Cindy Ingold, chairing meeting; Paula Carns, minute taker