Diversity Committee Minutes 03-09-2010
Library Diversity Committee
March 9, 2010
428 Main Library
Cindy Ingold, Chairing Meeting
Paula Carns, Minute Taker
- Approval of January 12 minutes-approved after revision
NOTE: February 9 meeting cancelled due to weather
- Sharing Campus Diversity Updates and Information on LIBNEWS
Emily presented a message from a colleague at the University of California, San Diego regarding recent hate crimes there. Cindy provided a report from Menah Pratt-Clark, the Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at UIUC, about the situation on our campus. The committee felt that forwarding these messages to the Library community would have merit, particularly as they would demonstrate the importance of the diversity training and retreats held at UIUC. Emily will send these messages out separately in the coming week.
- Spring Workshops-In the coming weeks the committee will offer two training sessions entitled "Inclusion requires U and I" featuring Ross Wantland, the Office of Inclusion, and Katy Weseman, LGBT Resources Office. They will first define diversity and they offer a session "Microagression Group Activity. The dates for these workshops are: Tuesday 16, 9am, room 295 and Wednesday 17, 2pm, room 295.
Scott Walter, AUL and Associate Dean for Services, and Beth Woodward, Coordinator, Staff Development and Training, have suggested that we call our programs "Continuing the Conversation: Diversity Talks" as a way to continue the conversation from the January 2010 retreat.
- August Retreat-Cindy Ingold, Scott Walter and Beth Woodward, will be looking at the results from the January 2010 retreat survey and start planning the August 2010 Retreat.
- Input on Diversity Statement. The committee discussed the idea of offering "cookie breaks" as a forum for getting input about the proposed diversity statement for the Library and for all to discuss diversity issues. The "breaks" would be held in April, be about a half an hour, one in the morning (10-10:30) and one in the afternoon (2:30-3) and include cookies. The Committee will send out the statement via LibNews beforehand.
- Discussion: Penn State Libraries Civility Team
- The committee discussed Penn State Libraries Civility Team and whether some of their ideas, such as using ClimQual and the PITA sessions based on the book The PITA Principle: How to Work with and Avoid Becoming a Pain in the Ass, might be applicable to the UIUC Library. The committee felt that we do not need to do ClimQual at this juncture, as we have sufficient data from the recent Retreat and Customer Survey. However, we might think about long-term assessment, especially tracking the Library's development around issues of diversity and civility. Emily offered to buy copies of the PITA Principle for the committee's use.
- Other business?
Next Meeting: April 13, 2010
Emily Love, chairing meeting
Cindy Ingold, Minute Taker