April 8, 2008
423 Main Library
Gennye Varvel, Minute Taker
Present: Cindy Ingold, co-chair, Emily Love, co-chair, Mary Beth Allen, B.A. Davis-Howe, Emma Lincoln, Gennye Varvel
Guests: Kathleen Kern from the Reference Library, and David Ward from the Undergraduate Library
1. Approval of March minutes
Minutes were approved.
2. Diversity Training for New GAs
*Discussion with David Ward and Kathleen Kern
David and Kathleen do the "Reference Interview" component for new GAs, which consists of training in good communication, cultural sensitivity, and approachability. The training is an hour and a half long and role play is included.
Should we add diversity to the existing training or add it as an additional component?
The GA training uses RUSA (Reference and User Services Association) standards. We should look at the RUSA guidelines to see if there are performance standards related to diversity/multicultural issues. We should also look into how PLA (Public Library Association) deals with these issues.
Cindy mentioned that there are not a lot of training materials related to intercultural communication for libraries or higher education.
Emily mentioned that ACRL is developing a set of cultural competencies. She has a draft of the guidelines which she can share with the committee.
Another suggestion was to have a training session for GAs on diversity issues after the full training in August. Several sessions are often offered during the year for GAs; however, not all GAs can attend these sessions. It the announcement for a post training event came from the Scott Walter, there could be better attendance.
The Committee also wondered what the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will be doing in the fall. If additional training is offered, we can again strongly suggest that these sessions be mandatory.
The Committee recommended that examples dealing with patron issues related to diversity be incorporated into the role playing for GAs. Cindy asked for a volunteer from the Committee to work with David and Kathleen. No one immediately volunteered to work on this so Cindy will email the committee asking for a volunteer.
We will also keep looking for materials, especially videos/DVDS, for future training.
3. Continuing Discussion of Ideas from Meeting with Paula
Exit interviews- We will discuss this with Cindy Kelly in May.
Mentors - We are concerned about mentoring for Academic Professionals. This is another issue to discuss with Cindy Kelly.
Social Events- We will discuss ideas with Meg Burger, Chair of the Social Events Committee, and Jodi Kiesewetter, Library Staff Support Committee, in May.
Photos on the Directory - Scott Walter and Robert Slater have been working on this. Some people are against it. Scott and Robert will keep trying.
Recruitment Issues- Another area to discuss with Cindy Kelly. One idea is to provide information on diversity initiatives at the library and on campus in packets that go to interviewees.
4 . Updates:
*Presentation at April 23 Faculty Meeting
Cindy and Emily will make a presentation. They are working on an outline which includes Paula introducing them; presenting the website; discussing outreach activities, strategic goals, and the committee charge; recruiting members for the committee. Emily will also discuss her work as the Outreach Librarian for Multicultural Services.
*Center for Democracy in a Multiracial Society - Race, Diversity and Campus Climate Conference, April 10 ( http://cdms.ds.uiuc.edu/pages/Conferences )
Cindy and Emily are planning to attend the conference.
We will look in to have a training session in the fall on becoming an Ally to support LGBT issues. Cindy will contact the appropriate people.
5. Next Me eting:
May 13, 2008, 10 a.m., 423 Library
Lisa Romero, Minute Taker