October 31, 2006
Present: Cindy Ingold, Chair; Mary Beth Allen; Lori Carroll; Raj Chilana; B.A. Davis-Howe; Chris Hamb; Bernice Harrington; Emily Love; Lisa Romero
Volunteer Minute Taker
Lori volunteered to take minutes for the meeting.
Review Committee Charge
The committee modified the second paragraph to indicate that we will work with Human Resources in addition to other stated groups. In addition, the committee decided to adjust the description of its composition. Specifically, we deleted the phrase stating that the "Head of Library Human Resources, and a representative from the Staff Development and Training Advisory Committee" would be members, and we qualified that "the Committee is comprised of at least six members at-large." Cindy will update the Committee Charge as discussed and send it to us for a final review before she takes it to the Executive Committee for final approval. Also, Cindy indicated that it might be a good idea to review the charge at the beginning of every year.
Earlier, the committee had discussed asking Pam Pirtle from the OEOA to provide library staff a broad overview of diversity in the workplace and other relevant work issues. Raj suggested that we invite people from different ethnic, cultural, and/or religious backgrounds to educate library staff through diversity workshops. For instance, Raj pointed out that we could invite professors and other local members of mosques to distinguish various aspects of Hindu and Muslim communities. Chris suggested that it might be easier to manage inviting one speaker at a time on a particular subject. The committed agreed that it could be a good strategy to offer a series of speakers. Cindy suggested that we could start with an OEOA speaker for a broad overview of workplace diversity, and then progress to speakers about more specific topics afterwards. B.A. added that we could aim to have a speaker every Fall and Spring to help identify the existence of the Library Diversity Committee and Emily's position as well. As we introduce the speaker, we also would make sure to introduce ourselves. Emily will take charge of contacting the OEOA for a speaker and asking that person to attend the November meeting. Cindy pointed out that we also would need to contact Beth Woodard and the Staff Development Committee if our goal is to educate library staff through these speakers.
The survey has been tabled. Instead, we will continue gathering feedback through evaluations submitted at our events.
Cliff Email Account Listserv
B.A. asked if we might set up a cliff email account to encourage feedback from library staff. This account would be monitored by the chair, or in the chair's absence, another committee member. Lisa mentioned a listserv for all committee members. Per Emily and Mary Beth, a listserv might not get used as much.
Information about Diversity Resources from Other Institutions
Bernice asked if we might benefit from reviewing diversity resources from other institutions. Cindy agreed to send some examples of such information to the committee.
Emily will get a G.A. in January to help her create a diversity web page for students of color. This page could link to the committee, and it also could offer external resources. Per Mary Beth, perhaps we could get it linked from the Library Gateway to make it more prominent. The committee also noted that we could look for ideas from the ALA, ARL, and ACRL web pages. Cindy will work with Emily on the web page.
Possible Future Projects?
The committee briefly discussed ideas such as a library cultural fest celebrating different holidays, festivals, and foods; taking advantage of exhibit space; collaborating with UIUC student associations; collaborating with Stephanie Atkin's high school outreach program; and collaborating with Rae-Anne Montague's recruitment of underrepresented groups in Midwestern schools (or asking Rae-Anne to become one of our speakers). (Rae-Anne Montague is Assistant Dean of Student Affairs for the Graduate School of Library and Information Science.)
The committee agreed to keep meeting the second Tuesday of the month from 10:00-11:00 am in room 413 Library. For one time only, we will have the next committee meeting on November 14, 2006, from 11:00-12:00 in room 230B Library. Emily will ask our prospective OEOA speaker to attend our November 14th meeting. Cindy will ask Scott Walter to attend our December 12th meeting because Scott has a lot of experience and knowledge about diversity resources and programs.