Old Cataloging Documents
Cataloging Working Group Meeting
April 14, 2011
Present: Gail Hueting (Presiding); Patricia Rosario (Minutes); Manisha Bhagwat, Diana Eynon, Barb Henigman, Robin Hess, Muzhgan Nazarova, Michael Norman, Jianying Shou, Gennye Varvel, Janet Weber, and Lin Yang.
1) Gail Hueting called the CWG meeting to order at 9:42 a.m.
2) The minutes of the December meeting have been mislaid. As
soon as we locate them, they will be sent out.
3) Starting this month, the University of Illinois Library will
be upgrading Connexion Client. We will be required to update
to version 3.0 by November 1.
Enhancements to Connexion Client will include links to
the RDA toolkit, display and search results, and an option
to allow exported work forms. In addition, the 029 field
will now be at the bottom of the record instead of the top.
4) Enhancements to Dewey 23 will be coming in May.
5) Last month, the University of Florida Smathers Libraries
implemented a policy to dedicate all of their original
cataloging records to the public domain, using the Creative
Commons public domain dedication CC0.
6) NACO training is scheduled for next week and the week after
7) Last month, the UIUC Literature and Languages Library
converted approximately 40,000 items from Dewey to LC.
8) In a few weeks, we will start retrospectively converting
approximately 160,000 volumes in the Undergraduate Library
to LC. Our goal is to have all of the volumes converted by
the end of the summer.
9) The implementation group will propose that we catalog all
new material coming in with Library of Congress numbers. We
will not retrospectively convert everything.
There is also discussion about having one contiguous
shelflist for the Asian Library’s collection.
10) The Classics Library will still be using Dewey.
11) Next week, staff from the cataloging unit in the Asian
Library will move into Room 220. We already have space
designated for them.
There is a large backlog of Asian and Persian materials
in Room 338, and we’re investigating outsourcing these
12) We have started planning a retirement party for Gail
Hueting, our Principal Cataloger, and we will send
information out to the library soon.
13) The meeting was adjourned at 10:42 a.m.
Meeting minutes created by Patricia Rosario on April 15, 2011.