Library Committee Handbook

Advisory Committee to the
Associate University Librarian for User Services

Committee Charge

Minutes

FY2010 Annual Report
FY2011 Annual Report

 

Minutes of the Services Advisory Committee November 2, 2009

November 2, 2009
428 Library
9:00 - 10:00 am

Members Present: Scott Walter (Chair), Pat Allen, Susan Avery, Paula Carns, Kirstin Dougan, Lisa Hinchliffe, Tony Hynes, JoAnn Jacoby, Kathleen Kern, Lynne Rudasill, Robert Slater, Peggy Steele

1. Appointment of Note-Taker

Jacoby volunteered to take the minutes.

2. Additions to the Agenda

Update on Library Assessment Coordinator search

3. Library Assessment Coordinator Search

There is one candidate for this internal search. The screening committee (Walter, Kern, Paprocki) have submitted a draft screening interview schedule to Library Human Resources for scheduling. We hope to conduct the screening interview prior to the Thanksgiving holiday. Walter will follow-up with LHR to determine status of scheduling.

4. Reference Retreat Report

The committee conducted a final review of the report of the Summer 2009 Reference Retreat and provided Rudasill with suggestions for final edits.

Committee discussed several of the report's recommendations, including:

Walter suggested the establishment of a short-term "Reference Services Web Site Task Force" to address that recommendation. Committee discussed how to provide support for such a TF if the goal is a site similar in scope to that of the Assessment site. Initial ideas for membership include: Lynne Rudasill, David Ward, and Robert Slater. Committee members will send additional suggestions by end of week and Walter will follow-up with nominees.

Committee discussed how to sustain lightning talks that have been included in recent faculty meetings. Rudasill has served to initiate talks to date, but committee suggested that a more sustainable model might be for the Faculty Secretary to undertake this work as part of existing responsibilities for agenda development.

Committee discussed the recommendations that came from the "Graduate Assistant Panel" at the retreat and identified concerns related to the ability of GAs to take advantage of professional development opportunities. Committee discussed whether a "LIBGRAD" discussion list for Graduate Assistants and Graduate Hourly students might be something to pursue, but questioned whether such an innovation would be sustainable in terms of list management. Rudasill will move these recommendations to the "general recommendations" section that closes the report. Walter will follow-up with Beth Woodard on the broader issue of GA training and with Dean Kaufman regarding the need to promote support for training among GA supervisors.

Committee discussed the recommendations related to assessment of reference services and noted that these should be reviewed with Library Assessment Coordinator, when appointed. Assessment discussion continued with review of issues related to reporting of reference transactions conducted in non-public-service units, including Library IT and ERTech. Steele will query Library IT staff regarding frequency on contact with users (as opposed to staff members, whose questions are not counted for reporting outside the Library). Following planned appointment of Library Assessment Coordinator, he or she will follow-up on idea of establishing Desk Tracker account for ER Tech. Walter will re-send ARL definition of "reference transaction" to Steele for use in the discussion.

Committee briefly discussed the benefits of using Desk Tracker to collect continuous statistics on reference transactions, as opposed to the current approach focusing on collection of sample data.

Walter asked everyone to review remaining recommendations and let Rudasill know by Friday if there are any additional suggestions or revisions.

5. Proposed Changes to Scope and Composition of this Advisory Committee

Postponed