Library Committee Handbook

Administrative Council


Administrative Council Minutes 06-18-2012

Administrative Council Meeting June 18, 2012
1:30-3:00 in 428 Library

MINUTES

 

Present: Paula Kaufman, Pat Allen, Tina Chrzastowski, Chris Johns, Jenny Johnson, Mary Laskowski, Beth Sandore, Marek Sroka, Caroline Szylowicz, Tom Teper, Cherié Weible, Beth Woodard; Visitor – Jeff Schrader; Recording – Kim Matherly

1. E911 access (Paula, Jeff Schrader)

Email from Jeff Schrader on May 10, 2012: "The University Library will no longer maintain Centrex telephone lines for 9-911 after the Lync conversion is complete in June 2012. As per the information posted on CITES website http://cites.illinois.edu/e911/faq.html faculty, staff and patrons can utilize the Lync based telephones that are being installed throughout Library facilities for e911 calls."

 

E-911 is now available through Lync. Otherwise an individual can use a personal cell phone if they choose to. We are not going to provide Centrix or land lines for 911. Use a cell phone if Lync is down. If you don’t have a cell phone, you can use e-phones in any of the buildings. ACES has e-phones in their stair tower landings and in elevators. There are also e-phones in the main Library elevators. The signs say emergency assistance and have a red button. There are also emergency assistance phones in the basement, north entry, under the stairs.

 

If you get locked in stacks and the network is out or the power is out, the phones won’t work. This is a campus issue and Jeff will follow up. The emergency generator supplies the mechanical room only. The PA assistance announcement feeds all the stacks. Jeff will check on the liability of putting phones in only certain areas. Another issue is that fourth floor and stacks don’t always get cell phone reception.

 

If the power is off no one should be in the building. The procedure is to evacuate. In an emergency, if the network is down and you don’t have cell phone service you should leave the building. Guidelines are posted in each fourth floor study. Jeff will send guidelines out to everyone.

 

The Grainger and ACES PA systems are on Centrex. IT is working on this issue. Security system in RBML connected to police station and on a different line. There are emergency call boxes around campus – e phone. Campus will continue to maintain these.

 

2. Issues arising from access to Lynda.com (Beth Woodard)

See more information about Lynda.com at http://www.cites.illinois.edu/training/lyndafaq.html

Lynda is web-based learning for computer based software. It has project based, creative and inspirational learning tutorials. There are tutorials to improve business skills (i.e., time management). There are tutorials on how to use e-bay. Supervisors may want to monitor what tutorials their employees are using. It can also be a tool when doing annual evaluations if you have an employee who needs more experience in a certain area, they can use Lynda. Systems has 6-8 headsets that can be checked out. The system is set up so that you can use just the parts you want, without going through the hole tutorial. There are four levels for each tutorial. Lynda.com can also be used at home by indicating the institution you work for. This is a campus wide program for student and staff paid for by the campus.

 

It was suggested that a topic be chosen and then have open times somewhere like 509 ACES, where you could work without interruptions. If an employee is in doubt as to whether they should be doing a tutorial, they should ask how is this relevant to what I’m doing? If it isn’t then don’t use it.

3. Retreat Follow-Up and Next Year's Retreat (Beth Woodard)

What is the best date for the next retreat? It was suggested that the Library close January 4, a half day for clean-up and January 7, a half day for the retreat. Division Coordinators should check with their units to see how many people are available on January 4 and 7. What should be the retreat subject? Should it be mandatory? It should be left to the discretion of the Unit Head as to whether they make it mandatory for their employees. The focus should be something from the Strategic Plan.

 

It was suggested that the group start out intermingled and then move into focused groups.



4. "Reinvigorating Administrative Council." An open discussion to help determine the direction and future of this group. Be ready to talk about your vision for AC. (All)

 

AC meetings have been routine. How can they be most useful to divisions and the Library?

 

A question arose about a seeming disconnect between AC and the budget group. It was pointed out that there is an AC representative on budget group. The representative should keep AC informed by giving a report at each AC meeting. A new Budget Group representative will need to be nominated for the next academic year.

 

Some divisions are having trouble getting people to offer input when asked about particular issues. What kinds of things should this group be dealing with? AC is charged with operational policy making. AC can be used to discuss and implement the Strategic Plan.

 

IT has tried to bring Library-wide conversations about technology support and implementation to AC. Sometimes the conversation is good, sometimes not. The Lync feedback was good. When asked for input on which system is a priority or not, IT didn’t get much feedback. Setting priorities about operational things don’t always work in this group. Some people don’t feel they can speak for the whole division and in those cases they must consult with the whole division. Introducing a subject at one meeting and reporting at another meeting is not always an effective conduit of feedback from a division.

 

Some divisions only meet one time a month, so it makes it hard to have face-to-face discussions. Email discussions aren’t always good. Has AC outlived its usefulness? There are increasing concerns about the decision making processes. There may be another group that can help move policy along.

 

How does AC relate to the Service Advisory Committee (SAC)? If we were to eliminate AC, we would have to rethink SAC. SAC could feed AC. Would SAC and CDC committees be the appropriate conduit for agenda items for AC?

 

It might be useful for each group to make regular reports to AC.


5. New AC Agenda Committee person or persons (due to retirement of incumbent).

 

Caroline Szylowicz will be the Agenda Committee until August 16.