Library Committee Handbook

Administrative Council


Administrative Council Minutes December 20, 2010

 

Administrative Council

MINUTES

December 20, 2010

1:30-3:00pm

428 Library

 

Present: Paula Kaufman, chair, Tina Chrzastowski, Mary Laskowski, Lisa Romero, Scott Schwartz, Caroline Szylowicz, Tom Teper, Scott Walter, David Ward, Gil Witte, Greg Youngen; Visitor- Betsy Kruger, Lori Mestre, Michael Norman, Jeff Schrader, Jennifer Teper; Recording - Kim Matherly

 

1.    Discussion of Library security and policies (from Scott Walter).

Bill Mischo, Jeff Schrader and Lori Mestre were invited to attend this meeting.

Following discussions of Library security with the Senate Committee on the Library and the Illinois Student Senate, the Library is pursuing an effort to limit access to the Library during late-night service hours to members of the Urbana campus community. The units that will be affected by this "sub-closing" program are the Undergraduate Library, the Grainger Engineering Library, and the Funk-ACES Library. Jeff Schrader is working with the heads of the affected units and with campus partners from CITES, Public Safety, and elsewhere, to determine what our approach to sub-closing will be. Scott discussed a number of operational issues that will need to be resolved prior to implementing this new access policy, e.g., the fact that no automated approach to limiting access (card readers) can be implemented prior to Spring Break owing to the time needed to order and install the equipment. A meeting has been scheduled with the unit heads and campus partners for early January.

 

In an effort to address student consensus about campus safety, Paula directed the affected units to implement sub-closing procedures as soon as possible, i.e., for the start of the Spring 2011 semester, even if this requires temporary measures such as the use of student to check I-Cards upon entrance to the units in question. Scott and Jeff will begin working with unit heads immediately to identify a consistent approach to sub-closing for Spring 2011.

 

2.    Google Books Project (request from Betsy). Betsy Kruger and/or members of the Google Project wish to come remind people of the scanning project that begins in January, field questions and address concerns

The Google Books Project team has met with all the divisions to make sure there were no additional questions or concerns.

 

The Gov Docs Google Project is done.

 

During the Google process the catalog records will be updated with information that the item is not available because it is being digitized. If the items need mending, the catalog will indicate that the book is in binding. This process will take 4-6 weeks.

 

There are 800,000 records in the public domain and Hathi. Nearly 2 million public domain volumes are accessible in Hathi. We will bring records into Voyager for everything we digitize and we will add e-records for everything in the public domain. OCLC will have access to our manifest. There are limitations to how many records that can be loaded each night. We will try to make the Hathi search part of Easy Search and make these digitized books available through all mechanisms. The A-Z list is basically serial titles and will include e-records in the next 6 months. An Excel spreadsheet will be on G: so everyone can see what will be coming out of each library.

 

3.    Prayer/Meditation Rooms on Campus (from Scott Walter)

ARL directors were sent a request about the availability of prayer/meditation rooms in different libraries/campuses. The following is a statement from Emily Love and Cindy Ingold that Scott provided.

 

"The University Library shares the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's "commitment to cultivating a community . . . where everyone is welcomed, celebrated, and respected." While the Library is not able to provide permanent space for prayer rooms or meditation rooms, we will direct our users to appropriate campus and community resources.

 

For example, Inclusive Illinois provides a comprehensive list of campus resources for the exploration and promotion of personal spirituality. Likewise, the Office of the Dean of Students supports the Religious Workers' Association, an association of campus and community religious leaders, that produces a directory of local resources.

 

If you have any questions about Library services for members of our diverse user community, please review our resources on Diversity and Multicultural Information, or contact Emily Love, Outreach Librarian for Multicultural Services, and Co-Chair, Library Diversity Committee. If you have other questions about Library services, please contact Scott Walter, Associate University Librarian for Services and Associate Dean of Libraries."

 

The statement will be sent out to Division Coordinators to share with their units.

 

4.    Tiered Service Hours from Hours Working Group Update (Walter)

Scott will look into this further.