Library Committee Handbook

Administrative Council


Administrative Council Committee Meeting

November 17, 2003
1:30pm
428 Library

 

 

Present:  Paula Kaufman, Chair, Rod Allen, Bob Burger, Tina Chrzastowski, Lisa German, Peggy Glatthaar, Lisa Hinchliffe, Lyn Jones, Cindy Kelly, Tom Kilton, Betsy Kruger, Bill Maher, Diane Schmidt, Karen Schmidt, Sue Searing, Paula Watson, Karen Wei, John Weible, Joyce Wright; Visitor – Susan Edwards

  1.   New Payroll Procedures – R. Allen, Edwards

    Student payroll will now be done at the same time as staff payroll. The sheer numbers (approximately 500 employees) alone would be labor intensive enough, but with new Banner each day must be entered separately, when before the total hours worked was all that had to be entered. Also, for each sick or vacation day taken, a separate system must be accessed, the time available checked and approved, and then a return to the original system before proceeding. The Business Office has made Friday at 10:00am the deadline for getting student time sheets in. They realize that this may cause some problems with guessing how many hours the students will work on Friday and Saturday and may mean making adjustments on the next time sheet. However, even with everyone in the Business Office working on payroll that deadline may not be enough time. If that proves to be the case the deadline may have to be even earlier.

  2. Streamlining Committees – Searing, Kaufman

    Are there ways to streamline, reduce or eliminate committee commitment? There are fewer people in units, making it harder for faculty to take time to go to committee meetings and to spend time on committee assignments. We also have so many untenured faculty who are trying to find time to do research as well.

     

    One suggestion was to suspend committee activities during the summer giving everyone more time for research. The problem with that was that some committees are really gearing up in the summer and that is when some of their most important work is done.

     

    Another suggestion was to have each committee talk amongst themselves about how the work is being done in there committee and how it might be done differently or more efficiently. It was also suggested that perhaps not all the committees needed every division represented.

     

    This issue will be brought up at the December Faculty meeting.

  3. Wage increases for multi-year student workers - Burger

    There was discussion as to whether there was still a freeze on student wages and if not, could a library raise its student wages and where would the money come from.

     

    There is no longer a freeze on student wages. If you would like to raise your student wages the increase will have to come from individual unit budgets.

     

    In January ’04 the minimum wage will go up to $6.50. The question was then raised as to whether we would continue to pay our students above minimum wage. Where will the money come from?

     

    Betsy and Lisa German will look at the issue and bring information to a future AC meeting.

  4. Emeritus Library Faculty use of LibFac - Kaufman

    There are some emeritus Library faculty who would like to be on the LibFac and LibNews listserve. The Committee agreed that it would be ok to add emeritus Library faculty who wish to be on the listserves. Paula will send an email to the emeritus we have addresses for and invite them to be included.

  5. Updates and Announcements

           Voyager Down

           Burger – ILCSO will be implementing a new version of Voyager 12/29-12/31/03. During that period the OPAC, cataloging and acquisitions will not be available. You will be able to work off-line for circulation. There will be some staff during that time with nothing to do. If those staff don’t want to take vacation days have them see Betsy or Lisa German.

     

    German – Barbara Henigman will be leaving Monographic and going to the Law Library as Head of Tech Services, beginning January 1. The Division will be making a proposal to EC to hire an expert cataloger as interim head of Monographic Cataloging for up to one year. There staff in monographic cataloging will report to Lisa German and Michael Norman.

     

    German – Prompt Cat will soon be implemented. This is a way by which we get bibliographic information from OCLC when we get books from Blackwells. When the books come, holdings get attached within two weeks of receipt and the bib records will be added to Voyager right away. The books are barcoded by Blackwells. This should eliminate some of the duplicate keying.

     

    D. Schmidt – There will be a retirement party for Mitzi Williams on December 5 from 3:00-5:00pm in the VetMed Atrium. Donations can be sent to Judy Sims, 3505 VMBSB, MC-002.

     

    Kaufman – The Stukels hosted the Trustees on November 12 in the Main Library at a reception in the Rare Book and Special Collections Library and dinner in the Newspaper Library. Some Trustees toured the Rare Book stacks and heard Jennifer Hain Teper talk about the 10 millionth volume. There were University Administrators present that had never been in the Main Library.

     

    The Bookplate Ceremony on November 14 was attended by 81 faculty. All of our faculty who were promoted and/or tenured were there. The Provost made strong statements about librarians as faculty and partners in education.