Library Committee Handbook

Administrative Council


Administrative Council Minutes

September 16, 2002
1:30-3:00 pm
428 Library

Present: Paula Kaufman, Chair, Bob Burger, Kevin Butterfield (for Janis Johnston), Bart Clark, Tina Chrzastowski, Susan Edwards, Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe, Lisa German (for Barb Henigman), Lyn Jones, Cindy Kelly, Tom Kilton, Betsy Kruger, Bill Maher, Nancy O’Brien, Beth Sandore, Diane Schmidt, Karen Schmidt, Jane Somera, Karen Wei, John Weible, Joyce Wright

1.    Proper Use of E-Mail - Burger

       Currently some faculty are not allowing staff to read email during work hours.  There is no policy, at this time, governing email.  Staff should have access to email and time to read it at work.  This will go into effect immediately.  Bob Burger will draft a formal policy outlining the appropriate use of email.  Bob has asked from input from the Division Coordinators as to what they think should be in the policy.  He would like input from the Coordinators by September 23.

  2.    Exam and Holiday Hours Proposal – Burger et al

       Bob Burger, Tina Chrzastowski, Becky Smith, and Margaret Chaplan met to discuss this.  One thing they looked out was the holiday period.  They looked at the number of persons in the unit and determined if a unit has three staff members or less they could consider closing their library and the staff could either take vacation time or work in another library.

       Bob will send out an email asking for input from the Divisions.

  3.    Flextime Schedules - Kelly

       The University has no official flextime schedule policy.  The standard flextime practice in University units is 7:00am – 6:00pm.  If a unit has staff coming in at 7:00am, there needs to be a supervisor with an LOA classification or higher in the unit at the same time.  This level of supervision is needed for security reasons and to monitor hours.  The Administrative Council recommends standard flextime will become a policy in the Library and any employees affected by this change will receive a 15 day notice.  Flextime schedule at the Library will be 7:00am – 6:00pm.

  4.    Changing Workplace Seminars - Kelly

       This seminar is offered by Human Resource Development at no charge.  The Library HR would like to see this mandated for everyone and will check to see if HRD is willing to come to the Library and offer three sessions for our employees.  Cindy Kelly will follow-up on this.

  5.    Stacks Transfer Moratorium – O’Brien/Kruger

Proposal for the Next Steps in Oak Street Selection 

Serials:

1.       By September 30, Betsy Kruger will make sure the complete list of “Serials and Sets Selected for Oak Street or Withdrawal” is posted in the Remote Storage directory on the G drive.  By  October 31, selectors will review the list of “Serials and Sets Selected for Oak Street or Withdrawal” and report any selection conflicts to Karen Schmidt.  Non-conflict serial titles will be among the first materials processed for “Faux Oak.”  This processing should begin in late October or early November.

2.      Selectors will continue selecting serials for Oak Street. 

Monographs:

1.     Betsy Kruger will distribute data from the summer monograph pre-selection project in the Bookstacks.  She will provide a list of call number ranges that were completed, are currently in process, and are still to be reviewed.  For each call number range completed, the number of volumes streamered will be reported.  Monographs with pre-1830 copyright dates were streamered with green streamers; all other monographs meeting the circulation criteria for the project contain yellow Oak Street streamers.

2.     Alvan Bregman will review the pre-1830 selections to determine if any should go to the Rare Book Room.  All others will be processed for Oak Street as soon as Alvan completes his review.

3.     By December 31, 2002, selectors will review their call number ranges and remove any streamers for items they wish to deselect.  Selectors will report an accurate count of “de-selected” items for their call number ranges and will return the streamers to the Bookstacks Office.  During this review, selectors may see other materials on the shelves that they are willing to have sent to Oak Street, they can place a streamer in them and report a net total of deselected materials.  (For example, if 50 streamers are removed, but 30 new items are streamered during the review, selector would report a net de-selection figure of 20 items for that call number range.)

4.     Monographic processing will begin as selectors complete de-selection in their areas.

5.     Once we have the total final count of de-selected monographs, we will discuss next steps.  Two options are:  1) Each selector will need to select an additional number of materials equivalent to those s/he deselected; 2) Some subject areas may be more “ lucrative” than others in terms of materials appropriate for Oak Street, and we could explore the possibility of apportioning additional selection responsibilities, at least for the short run. 

A Note on the Summer Project!

As selectors begin reviewing the pre-selected materials, they should keep in mind that they may find some incorrectly streamered materials.  Please remember that student assistants performed this work and much as we attempted to instruct them in how to tell the difference between monographs and serials, undoubtedly some serial titles were streamered anyway. 

It was also decided that Bookstacks would begin accepting single volume serial supercedes in areas where space issues were not critical.  Betsy will send out a list of call number ranges where supercedes WILL NOT be accepted due to critical space issues. 

6.    ISSC Proposal for Renewal Limits - Kruger

       Voyager will have the same renewal limits as DRA.  Voyager sends a report that shows every time a renewal is overridden, which happens often.  They are looking at gaining some kind of control over things that are out for a very long time.  An alternative could be that for monographs, permit unlimited renewals and get an annual print-out from Voyager of items that have been checked out for over three years.  Then there could be a follow-up of those patrons. 

       Serials do need to have some kind of renewal, because unlimited check-out keeps many, many articles out of the hands of many, many patrons.  The number of renewals could be increased, but by discontinuing the ability to override there will be tighter control of Serials.   

       Systems will print a list of items that have been checked out for over one year.  We need to be able to verify the books still exist, possibly by sending a staff person out to where the books are and asking the patron to allow the staff person to take any books they want returned at that time.   

       The Division Coordinators will go back to the divisions to discuss how this would be implemented and who would be responsible for follow-up. 

       In regards to missing books, Karen will work on procedures for removing them from the records.

7.    E-reserves Survey - Chrzastowski

       There will be a survey coming out to get information to help move units onto e-reserves.  The survey is to determine if people need training, if they are interested or not, and if there are financial needs, to get everyone on e-reserves.  Unit heads will be required to fill out a short survey on e-reserves.  The URL for the survey will be announced shortly. 

       Policies that have been in force the last three years and now they need to be reviewed. 

8.    Announcements

       Cindy Kelly – Stress for Staff – how are people dealing with stress and what can we do to lighten the stress level?  Can we do something fun at the fall event? 

       Karen Schmidt - Preservations workshops start Wednesday, September 18.  Tom Teper has put together a really good program. 

       Lyn Jones – We are hosting a meeting Friday, September 20 for the Library Friends Board.  The Board has almost completely changed as far as the makeup of the people sitting on the board.  They have tried to expand the geographic reach of the people on the board; some people are from out of state.  Now the board has a mission.  Four committees has been formed and each board member is sitting on a different committee.  One of the committees is a volunteer committee.  There are a few volunteer jobs that have been identified.  They are looking for meaningful volunteer opportunities.  If you can use a volunteer in a meaningful way, please let Sharon Kitzmiller know.