Library Committee Handbook

Administrative Council


Administrative Council Minutes

Monday, March 19, 2001
1:30-3:00 p.m.
428 Library

Present: Paula Kaufman, Chair; Bob Burger, Marianna Tax Choldin, Tina Chrzastowski, Alan Conrad, Richard Griscom, Deloris Holiman, Barbara Jones, Lyn Jones, Betsy Kruger, Nancy O'Brien, Diane Schmidt, Karen Schmidt, Paula Watson, Karen Wei, John Weible

Absent: Bart Clark, Barb Henigman, Janis Johnston, Cindy Kelly, Joyce Wright

Paula Kaufman welcomed Richard Griscom who is replacing Bill Brockman; Bill Maher, proxy for Barbara Jones; and Karen Wei who is returning from sabbatical


1. Approve Minutes

The minutes of the March 5, 2001, meeting were approved as corrected.


2. Budget Update (Kaufman)

Paula Kaufman reported that the Governor's budget has been stripped of the 3% inflationary increase for library materials and utilities. The Library may still receive the same or all of the inflationary increases; however, we won't know until the final budget is available in late May or early June. The Budget Subcommittee will be able to make firm plans at that time; in the meantime, their two priorities remain: (1) not to cancel subscriptions, and (2) add more electronic resources.


3.
Systems (Kaufman)

Paula reported that she wants to discuss the organizational location of the Systems Office and the level and person to look for to fill the position of Director. She has already met with EC, and will meet with the people from the Systems Office tomorrow to get their input. She would like input from AC and LITC members as well.

AC discussed the position in detail and considered three possibilities: (1) one high level person who would oversee both digital/research and service issues, (2) two centralized efforts, one for digital/research and one for day-to-day service, or (3) a central office for services with the other activities diffused into the units as it is now. AC agreed that they would like a "guru" at the head with a large staff to cover research and the day-to-day problems. They would also like flexibility to work on their own as they are capable. Regarding faculty vs. academic professional, AC agreed that they want the best person available.

4. Proposed Task Force on Access to Collections (Burger, Schmidt)

Bob Burger and Karen Schmidt led a discussion on a proposed task force, referring to the document "Task Force on Access to Collections" which was distributed before the meeting. After discussing the document and offering suggestions for improving it, AC approved establishing the task force. In the next week, AC members will forward names for the task force to Bob and Karen, and they will propose a task force for approval at the next meeting. Staff and faculty will be considered for a total of no more than ten members.

5. Faculty Assessments (Burger)

Bob reported that we have been talking about faculty assessments for decades. Last Fall, Paula and FRC met with Tina Gunsalus who urged them to come up with something other than self reporting and said that self reporting is not really a means of evaluation. The meeting with her focussed on the Promotion and Tenure process and the importance of specifying criteria for promotion. If criteria are not specified, those considering the promotion and tenure papers have no way to compare a candidate against criteria. Campus is waiting for Communication 21, which will address faculty reviews. In the Library, determining who would evaluate how well goals were being met would be difficult but could entail supervisors, users, and people in the department. Training in faculty assessments would be necessary. Paula will get in touch with Beth Woodard, Chair of FRC, to clarify the issues and to encourage FRC to keep working toward a better assessment process.

6. Change of Unit Names (Kaufman)

Paula reported that the Library needs a process that is appropriate for changing unit names. It was suggested that a unit name change should start in the division with the practical issues going to AC and with the collection, faculty assignment, and unit overlap issues going to EC. Name changes have budget, personnel, title, and location implications. Constituents involved should also be consulted in the discussions.

7. Announcements and Updates

Betsy Kruger presented four policy statements at the February 5, 2001, meeting. Having heard no objections from divisions, AC approved them. Betsy will send out a final version incorporating suggested minor changes.

Paula Watson reported on the status of the contract with Elsevier, which is nearly complete. We will have a term two-year agreement through December 31, 2002.

Lyn Jones asked AC to send her some specifics as to how faculty activities or positions would be enhanced or changed with endowment funds; Foundation staff would like examples. Tickets will be available soon for the Shana Alexander event which will be at 3:30 p.m. on April 17 in Foellinger Auditorium; she and Barbara Jones are working on the event. .


The meeting adjourned at 2:55 p.m.