1. Company/Product Information: (sources available via the Library website)
- Identifies articles on business, finance, and management topics from regional, U.S. and international publications.
- Includes information specific to the advertising industry.
- Provides the most recent news stories (including business) and statistics on companies, products, consumers, trends, etc.
- Includes demographic (U.S. as well as international) information on consumers and products.
- Includes information on companies and products. Provides descriptions of companies and industries, news stories, significant developments, competitors reports, strengths and weaknesses, and peer analysis.
Wall Street Journal
- Provides the most recent business news and information on companies, products, consumers, trends, etc.
2. Demographic and Psychographic Information
American Fact Finder
- Find popular facts (income, population, racial info, etc.) and frequently requested data about your community. Search by state, county, city, town, or zip code.
MRI / Mediamark (available online)
- Includes demographic and marketing data on consumers, products, and media.
How to Read a Mediamark Report
MRI Data Methodology FAQ
- Includes annual reports for companies.
Mintel (available online)
- Includes demographic (U.S. as well as international) information on consumers and products
New Strategist Books (available on the Advertising Bookcase)
- The Communications Library has a collection of over 50 books focusing on specific demographic groups (ethnicity, age, gender) and their interests, income, spending patterns, education levels, etc.
PRIZM (available online)
- Helps you evaluate market segments
SRDS Local Market Audience Analyst (available online, requires Internet Explorer)
- Breaks down the American population geographically and demographically and includes extensive lifestyle information on the interests, hobbies, and activities popular in each geographic and demographic market.
- VALS consulting provides clients with tailored marketing strategies for targeting, positioning, and communications—real-world, real-time, actionable strategies. VALS assists marketers and advertisers gain a fresh perspective by getting "into the heads" of customers; create consumer profiles or personas; and understand the distinct communications styles of targets.
3. Advertising Rates and Data: (sources are located behind the library's reference desk)
SRDS Consumer Magazine Media (available online)
- Provides information on over 3,000 U.S. and international consumer magazines. Lists detailed group and classified advertising rates as well as circulation figures.
SRDS Digital Websites (available online)
SRDS Newspaper Media
- Lists online advertising opportunities such as web sites. Get up-to date information on audience profiles, advertising rates, circulation/coverage, contact names and more.
- Provides information on daily newspapers, newspaper groups, Black newspapers, college newspapers, and specialized newspaper. Lists detailed group and classified advertising rates as well as circulation figures.
SRDS Digital Networks & Tech (available online)
- Provides digital ad network and ad tech vendor profiles plus over 20,000 website profiles.
SRDS Out of Home Media (available online)
- Includes coverage, circulation, rates, terms and conditions, and advertising rates for over 19 media categories including: airport, outdoor, stadium, transit, movie, and shopping malls.
- Provides: market profiles, AM/FM commercial stations, networks. Includes cost per point estimates.
SRDS TV & Cable Media (available online)
- Provides affiliations and coverage for: commercial stations, broadcast networks, multiple station owners, cable systems, interconnects, cable networks, sports networks, and syndicators. Includes cost per point estimates
- Lists current rates and audience estimates for the major media. Call number: 302.230973 T42
TVB: Local Media Marketing Solutions
- Provides a variety of tools and resources to help advertisers make the best use of local ad dollars.
4. Citing Sources
Note: How to cite MRI/Mediamark Report:
GfK Mediamark Research & Intelligence. (2009, Fall Product Report).
Fast food & drive-in restaurants bought at last 6 months total.
Base: Adults. Retrieved from MRI Mediamark Reporter database.