How do I Get Into the Stacks?
The entrance to the Main Stacks is located on the second floor of the Main Library. Graduate and
undergraduate students, faculty, and staff may enter the stacks by showing a valid i-Card at the
To Use the Main Stacks at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library:
If you have bookstacks access:
- Present your ID card to the attendant at the back circulation desk.
- For the security of the collection, no food or beverages, backpacks, bags, parcels, or purses
are allowed in the stacks. Lockers are available to store your belongings while you are in
the Main Stacks.
- Please charge out items you wish to borrow before exiting. If the security gate alarm sounds,
please return to the back desk.
If you don't have bookstacks access:
- Locate and write down the call number of the item(s) you need. We will need the entire
call number in order to locate your item, so please write down the entire number, including
letters, years and volume numbers. Staff at the Information Desk can assist you if you need
help finding this information.
- Your items will be paged (retrieved from the stacks), usually within 20 minutes. You may
page up to 4 items at a time.
- When the items have been retrieved we will call out the last 3 digits of your library ID number
and place the book on hold for you awaiting pickup.
If you need assistance please ask. We're here to help!