Why we need to switch to this new interface.
(With thanks to Ben Wagner, SUNY Buffalo)
Q1. How do I access the web version of SciFinder?
Q2. Why did CAS abandon the client and move to SciFinder Web?
There are a number of compelling reasons!
• Security is greatly enhanced, which helps prevent hackers from outside our university tying up our very limited number of seats.
• Eliminating special client software will solve many installation and support headaches and free up space on your hard drive.
• Display of information and navigation features are generally greatly enhanced.
• Web version has a number of new, high value enhancements not available in the old client version, including:
- Ability to save searches and automatically run them against all new records added to the database (Keep me posted/current awareness)
- Similarity search on reactions, not just substances.
- New sort features including sorting substance records by number of literature references.
- Export physical property data to Microsoft® Excel®.
- Tag references with helpful descriptive user-defined and searchable terms.
- Add comments to specific references for sharing information and insights with colleagues.
- Link to other SciFinder users within your research site to share both research comments and tagged references.
- Retains search history for previous 10 search sessions.
Q3. Can the web version do everything the client version did?
99% of the features of the client version have migrated over to the web. CAS continues to improve the web version every 9-12 months. Only a few obscure client features are not yet available in the web version:
• Analyzing substance records by ring skeletons, stereo configuration, variable group composition, and R-group composition.
• Listing of other databases on CAS’ multi-vendor database platform (STN) that contain information on a given substance.
This short list pales in comparison to all the new features available only on the web version.
Q4. What about downloading references to EndNote?
Q5. Who should I contact if I have questions or problems?