February 5, 2007
Biology Library Notes: University Library Spring 2007 Media Competition
Announcing the Spring 2007 competition for purchasing media materials that cost more than $100.00 which will be purchased on the designated Library media fund. The deadline for submissions is Friday, March 2nd. Top priority is given to faculty requests for material to be shown in class and that are interdisciplinary in nature.
All requests must meet the following basic requirements:
1. The educational level of the materials must be identified as College Level.
2. Commercially available non-print items will be funded only when the Library will be the clear and permanent owner of the piece(s). Those items purchased are housed in the Undergraduate Library media collection for maximum accessibility.
3. Items must be reasonably priced with a content appropriate to the format. Thorough justification of higher priced items will be required.
4. Requests must be prioritized in order to be considered.
Requests are ranked for funding utilizing the following guidelines:
1. Is there a commitment from teaching faculty to utilize the item(s) in classroom instruction?
2. Is the item in an area of collection where a demonstrated need for non-print resources exists? Will it help to create a balanced and representative non-print collection?
3. Is there a possibility of cooperative funding?
Sort your proposed selections by priority. Include title and notes, format, vendor, price, requesting faculty name and email, and course(s) for which the selection(s) will be used. Attach ordering information, reviews, or other pertinent information, if available. Please send Melody Allison, Assistant Biology Librarian, this information as email attachments, if possible. The Library's Collection Development Committee (CDC) Non-Print Subcommittee will be reviewing and determining those selections that will be funded sometime in March and will follow with list of funded titles.
Assistant Biology Librarian and Assistant Professor of Library Administration
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
101 Burrill Hall, 407 South Goodwin
Urbana, IL 61801
(217) 333-7461; 3654
Posted by mmalliso at February 5, 2007 3:37 PM